Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Also the last thing we need at this stage of EV adoption is for charging to be banned in peoples' homes.
All those things need to be thoroughly investigated. EV adoption should not come with the costs of people houses and lives.

Just googled this forum - dangerous issues with gear selection lever are not something new, here is the post with the mate that got the same issue as me - Stateless Drive Selector Woes. Better Drive UI?

And pretty similar issue happened to Jeep - due to electronic lever, that does not fix itself but just returning in middle position, 41 injuries and 121 accidents happened before recall, and after that person died: When Bad UI Design Kills: Is Poor Shift Lever Design to Blame for Death of Star Trek Actor? - Core77

That would "just a case of getting used" if it was not a car not driving in a way driver expects and can injure people. That's brushing off safety issue. That's not moving "play" button in Spotify interface in unfamiliar place, that's experimental features that do not have enough safety guardrails and could lead to people injured. Any other car on the road has "Reverse" on the stalk?

I'm pretty frustrated that most of Tesla owners are just happy to ignore all that stuff and focus on "how great the car is". Wondering, what the guy that has his house ruined and cat killed think about how great the car is?
Is there any security or safety in Tesla on this, for instance is there any collision alert if you suddenly reverse to a wall or another car by accident in a stop light? Or maybe stop the car?

I can see how this is going to be an issue, we never have stalk as the drive selector.

That would "just a case of getting used" if it was not a car not driving in a way driver expects and can injure people. That's brushing off safety issue. That's not moving "play" button in Spotify interface in unfamiliar place, that's experimental features that do not have enough safety guardrails and could lead to people injured. Any other car on the road has "Reverse" on the stalk?

I'm pretty frustrated that most of Tesla owners are just happy to ignore all that stuff and focus on "how great the car is". Wondering, what the guy that has his house ruined and cat killed think about how great the car is?
For someone who has just recently received their Tesla you seem very negative about the whole experience.

I do agree that the gear selector is different to a lot of other cars but it is also similar to a lot of cars as mentioned.
You mention it being a safety issue but if you were used to the car it wouldn't be a problem hence my reply of "Just something to get used to"
No car is exactly the same as any other and most cars have electronic gear shifters these days too.
Also the Jeep one was different altogether as the vehicle wouldn't automatically put itself into park. The the Star Trek actor got out of his with it in Neutral and got run over.

I don't see BMW, Hyundai, or VW getting any flack for their electronic shifters at all. Some of which are on stalks much like the Tecla's.
Mercedes also do not get any flack for their stalk shifter which the design and function is where the Tesla one comes from.
It could be worse too. There was a car I recently drove which had the Cruise Control stalk in about the same location as where I am used to indicators being.
What would you have said if an accident was caused by inadvertently resuming the cruise control instead of indicating?
It just takes a little more care until you are used to where everything is.

Your comment about the house fire is very premature as well. There is not yet any proof that it was the car that caused the fire.
It could have been wiring or a petrol car that was in the garage amongst a whole list of other possible ignition sources for the fire.
In fact there is now this article which reports there was no Tesla or charging equipment.
FAKE NEWS: A Tesla did NOT burn down a Sydney home last night - techAU

Last edited:
For someone who has just recently received their Tesla you seem very negative about the whole experience.
Yes, because I just almost got into accident due to Tesla's poor UI design choices? Does that seem strange to you? I disliked the very, as we say in IT, "optionated" user experience from the start, and now I found that it's not only a nuisance, but a safety issue as well.

I got your point that Tesla should do nothing because it's not an issue and driver is only one to blame. This thread is not the right place to continue discussion, I think.

Can you honestly say you have NEVER put the wipers on to turn the corner even though you know that you are in a right stalk car (or vice versa).

Well, I could never honestly say that because it would not be true. What I can say is that on the relatively rare occasions I drive my Leaf (my wife mostly drives it now), I almost always remember to use the correct stalk to indicate, and the worst that happens is I briefly turn the wipers on.

On the even rarer occasions that I hit the wrong stalk on the Tesla, the car either thinks I want to turn on TACC (and might start to speed up if there’s no traffic in front, but hitting the brakes immediately turns TACC off) or go into reverse, but nothing happens because I can’t think of a single time when I’ve hit the right stalk to turn left but been traveling at less than 8 km/h when doing so. The car just beeps a warning message that you can’t go into reverse.

So in the 2+ years I’ve had both cars, I would not rate this issue as something that worries me.

Reactions: Benzz and MThreeLR
my real situation could be replaced with hypothetical "you are stopping at STOP sign of T intersection, with intention to turn left, turning on left blinker, look both ways that there are no cars, and start moving". If you used the wrong stalk you will go backwards.

Why would you only indicate a left turn after slowing down below 8 km/h? Drivers should indicate turns at least 30 m before arriving at an intersection if traveling at or below 60 km/h. I posit that in 99% of cases, you would be travelling at a speed greater than 8 km/h when you attempted to indicate using the wrong stalk, and the car therefore would not change into reverse.

The situations where you might be traveling slower than 8 km/h 30m out from an intersection would be in heavy slow-moving traffic conditions. In that case, the Tesla double beep telling you you have just put the car in reverse, as well as the reversing camera image appearing on the screen, and no blinker noise, are rather big give-aways. And since you’re moving very slowly or not at all, you have plenty of time to rectify the situation.

Tesla also has a driver setting that automatically brakes to prevent low-speed collisions, even if all the ducks lined up in your hypothetical.

Reactions: Benzz
Hi all,

I organised my financing through pepper money at 2.99% after I placed my order. Currently waiting for my Tesla and I just got an email saying they've pushed the rate up to 3.99%. Can anybody recommend a better fixed rate provider, and do you know if I can still change who I'm financing with? Thanks.

The situations where you might be traveling slower than 8 km/h 30m out from an intersection would be in heavy slow-moving traffic conditions. In that case, the Tesla double beep telling you you have just put the car in reverse, as well as the reversing camera image appearing on the screen, and no blinker noise, are rather big give-aways. And since you’re moving very slowly or not at all, you have plenty of time to rectify the situation.
I understand that you trying rationalise it, but, as I said, I got real situation this Sunday on the parking lot, and nothing stopped the car from going in reverse. I was lucky that the nearest object was ~3 meters behind me. Please stop explaining me how the car was fine, and I was wrong, that's some "teslasplaining" :)

I'm pretty sure that there are scenarios close to mine (switching different cars often, Tesla 3 not the main car) that would lead to accidents, it's just a matter of number of cars sold. Could be easily prevented with proper design - sound warning or gear stalk behaving in different way to blinkers (for example, requirement to pull the lever before moving up/down).

Last edited:
Hi all,

I organised my financing through pepper money at 2.99% after I placed my order. Currently waiting for my Tesla and I just got an email saying they've pushed the rate up to 3.99%. Can anybody recommend a better fixed rate provider, and do you know if I can still change who I'm financing with? Thanks.
I just got the same email - pretty shitty, especially because they’re preemptively applying a higher rate before the reserve bank makes an announcement, but the likelihood is that the other two “Tesla” lenders will do the same in the coming days - we just happen to be using the first lender out the gate. I doubt you’d get a rate lower than 3.99% elsewhere by this time next week, unless you’re adding the car to your mortgage.

Have you seen any proof that the car caused the fire? I think the only article seen so far is the Daily Mirror one. Could have been poor wiring or a number of other causes.
According to Drive.com this is all an unfounded rumour.

Reactions: DM221291
but the likelihood is that the other two “Tesla” lenders will do the same in the coming days - we just happen to be using the first lender out the gate. I doubt you’d get a rate lower than 3.99% elsewhere by this time next week, unless you’re adding the car to your mortgage.
My mortgage broker tells me short term fixed rates (2-7 years) have increased dramatically recently, and are likely to increase further.

I think redrawing on an existing mortgage might be the most attractive option right now. Probably less paperwork, too.

Hi all,

Currently waiting for my Tesla and I just got an email saying they've pushed the rate up to 3.99%.
I got the same email. So pissed off. I already have my finance approved and I'm scheduled to take delivery in 4 days (they literally settle the invoice 2-3 days before delivery, so I don't have time to organise anything else even if I could.)

I'd previously seen emails suggesting that this would apply to vehicles delivered from 1 May onwards. I've emailed back to check if this does actually apply to me.

Update:
As your application is already ready for settlement, your rate will stay at 2.99%.

Thank you.

Thanks Pepper! :)

Last edited:
As of 01/04/22 - sure the ETD dates will push back again from 20/04 for Morning Crystal (was 19/04) with Shanghai still closed.
Screenshot_20220404-140015.jpg

Reactions: Loxmyf
All those things need to be thoroughly investigated. EV adoption should not come with the costs of people houses and lives.
No argument with you there at all. We need to wait for the full investigation before any decision is made and then it needs to made quickly. Interesting that the police are treating it as a crime scene. Is that normal for a "house fire"?

Reactions: Benzz
Just for the sake of simplicity, my real situation could be replaced with hypothetical "you are stopping at STOP sign of T intersection, with intention to turn left, turning on left blinker, look both ways that there are no cars, and start moving".

If you used the wrong stalk you will go backwards. There is a chance that you notice that there is no blinker sound, that rear view camera is on your screen, or that 4mm letter "R" is darker than 4mm letter "D" now, but chances are you are paying attention to the road, not the screen or quiet sounds of blinker.

From my point of view, that's clearly bad design, and much more dangerous than poor choices of v11 UI. Not sure why that needs to be stressed, arguments brushing that off are the same as "we don't need to block switch to Parking when car is driving 50 km/h, if you cannot prevent accidental pressing that button on the stalk, than you should not drive 2 tonne heavy machinery".
The controls in my Model S are actually sourced through Mercedes Benz. You could do the same with an ICE Mercedes Benz Equipped with this controller.