Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It’s got nothing to do with who’s at the top of Tesla Australia. I explained before that Australia is a tiny, insignificant market. Restrictive tax and EV policies, most of the public is anti EV. A tiny population.

Britain has 3 times the population of Australia and they promote EV purchases and usage.

There is NOTHING you can do to alter Tesla’s car delivery policies and priorities. Nothing. I saw this sort of talk in 2013/4 when I bought my first Model S. I saw it with the non autopilot cars after ap was introduced. Being loud and indignant didn’t help people then either.
I read somewhere (tried to find the link but was unable) that EV manufacturers received €3,000 per vehicle from Europe. If that is the case it is a business decision.

Although this is a year ago unless we are there, we do not know what is happening.

Also, we do not know what restrictions the Chinese Gov has put on Tesla to supply locally.

Im not suggesting they have, but what I am saying is we do not know.
I understand the concept of them making more money in Europe. What my point is, paying particular attention to our market, where we are, that isn't an excuse. We engaged in a transaction with a business who quoted their own price to provide service. Their ability to profit in other markets is irrelevant to this transaction. Because they set the price. Tesla did. Their profits are theirs to make. Didn't set the price high enough? Too bad, so sad, your fault.

And in answer to consumer law, if your argument is that "we are a tiny market and it's not worth it" then Tesla accepted payment for the order and knowingly delayed delivering the goods in a reasonable time in favour of other, more profitable orders and could have delivered within the timeframe. I'm not suggesting doing this however. I suggested emailing Tesla... Among other things. But.

"When a business accepts your payment for products or services they must supply them to you within the timeframe they have indicated or if no time was specified, within a reasonable time."

It’s got nothing to do with who’s at the top of Tesla Australia. I explained before that Australia is a tiny, insignificant market. Restrictive tax and EV policies, most of the public is anti EV. A tiny population.

Britain has 3 times the population of Australia and they promote EV purchases and usage.

There is NOTHING you can do to alter Tesla’s car delivery policies and priorities. Nothing. I saw this sort of talk in 2013/4 when I bought my first Model S. I saw it with the non autopilot cars after ap was introduced. Being loud and indignant didn’t help people then either.
You might be correct about all of this. But unfortunately it simply isn't a justification for delaying Australian orders or sending them to the UK or Europe ahead of ours. Simply because Tesla were the ones who made the decision to do business here and accepted orders.

And if that is the reason, then yes, a clear decision was made by the business to preference the UK and European market. Therefore that decision was made by them.

Reactions: rtvanda
Jeez, some over inflated opinions of our own importance here. We've paid an order fee and go in the queue. Leadtime in most other countries are not dissimilar to ours if you start looking at allocations, total orders and sales rates of increase. Our problem seems to stem more from the exponentially growing order rate thats messed up forward order predictions which is how everything is calculated. I look at the huge effort Tesla seem to expending on expanding production lines in what is a very difficult environment and think they are probably doing better than most other vehicle manufacturers. You can't even buy a Ring Corolla without a 6 month lead-time .....
This isn't even true. Orders from March in the UK are being delivered in June - 3 months. What are the earliest undelivered orders in Australia? November. Best case 9 months. Retooling may mean 11 or 13 months. Same factory. Comparable? Is 3 or 4 times a number comparable? Not convinced.

Is it worth contacting one of the EV specific news sites (thedriven.io etc), see if they wanna do an article on the possibility of AU missing yet another allocation and resulting customer frustration. They could ask someone in Tesla for comment?
The Driven has had a number of reports with info drawn from this forum. Im sure they read closely, lurking quietly.

I understand the concept of them making more money in Europe. What my point is, paying particular attention to our market, where we are, that isn't an excuse. We engaged in a transaction with a business who quoted their own price to provide service. Their ability to profit in other markets is irrelevant to this transaction. Because they set the price. Tesla did. Their profits are theirs to make. Didn't set the price high enough? Too bad, so sad, your fault.

And in answer to consumer law, if your argument is that "we are a tiny market and it's not worth it" then Tesla accepted payment for the order and knowingly delayed delivering the goods in a reasonable time in favour of other, more profitable orders and could have delivered within the timeframe. I'm not suggesting doing this however. I suggested emailing Tesla... Among other things. But.

"When a business accepts your payment for products or services they must supply them to you within the timeframe they have indicated or if no time was specified, within a reasonable time."
Legal question - whats "reasonable".
so far I've only been bumped once, but there are enough others on this forum been bumped multiple times who might want to understand the reasonableness.

Everywhere was negative on EVs until Teslas starting showing up on their streets.
However, unlike other countries, unfortunately Australia (previous Government, this one is yet to follow through on promises, time will tell) has not changed their outlook on EV's. Remember, EV's are going to 'destroy the weekend' and 'can not tow your trailer'. Australian's have ignored government BS but the EV car industry has not (yet).

Legal question - whats "reasonable".
so far I've only been bumped once, but there are enough others on this forum been bumped multiple times who might want to understand the reasonableness.
I would say reasonable would surround what was quoted. A few weeks or a month or so would be reasonable. 4/6 months to a year is probably unreasonable. Plus they have a handy comparison in UK orders.

Is a 9 month delay reasonable against a 3 month lead time for the exact same specs in the UK with longer shipping time from the same factory? I would see that as unreasonable.

Reactions: rtvanda
Perhaps we need to get back to discussing accessories or forklifts?
Or celebrating the few who did get theirs in the last small shipment, and just how sweet the ride is when it does come?
It is great to debate, and I agree that lobbying can be powerful, I fear nothing we can do this week/month will change the political landscape or how fast the cars will come.

When it seems nothing will change… the only thing to do is *try* to chill 😎