Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm tracking the FBT issue closely as well. What leasing company would you use out of interest? My employer uses smart salary. The potential savings through FBT exemption are substantial - in the order of 8-10k p.a. for a M3. This could actually be a silver lining to the delay.

A key point here though is that although the policy is due to start on 1 July 2022, it has not been legislated as the new govt haven't sat yet. I assume this means it'll be retrospective to 1 July when it does become law, who knows how this would work. At this stage It's just an announcement. It would be a bold move to sign up to an expensive novated lease based on a promise from a politician in an election campaign!
Remserv - and even though I expressed disgust that I have to pay a brokerage fee of almost $1400 for them to just lock me into a loan of 9% at the time I was told that is part of their business model.. They should have a DIY model where I can use my own finance and if they need to get more money to run their business, they should increase their fees so everyone can see how much they are charging. At least the fees aren't then added onto the loan.

The savings will be substantial, however the 8-10k per annum saving is the FBT component. If you are leasing you still have to pay for the car which would mean that out of the say $10,000 you're saving, you're actually saving your marginal tax rate. For simplicity sake we can say 32.5% or $3250 per year saved of actual salary. Add on top of that anything else you might save (~$5000 GST, Insurance, Rego) then it's still potential to be a significant saving (~$4850 p.a) over even a lower interest rate.

Chris Bowen intends to try and push it through at the end of this month when they sit for almost two weeks - so hopefully we have clarity by early August. So I'm confident it'll happen.

It’s weird because I asked for a novated lease quote with the company my work uses, they had no idea about this.

The quote they sent me was rubbish too, impossible to compare with a normal loan, they do everything they can to hide things
Yeah - agreed. I made up a spreadsheet and had to dig deep into the detailed quote I was sent to be able to compare. Without FBT exemption, Novated Leases through the company I have to go with are absolutely not worth it.

yeah I'm highly suspicious of the novated lease - this sounds typical and makes comparing apples v. apples difficult. Strange that the company wouldn't know about a policy that is likely to impact them significantly?! I've got a phone consult today, planning to get a detailed quote and take it for some professional advice.

I got burned by one about 10 years ago which is why I wasn't initially considering it. Total FBT exemption has me interested again though.
Good idea to get a quote before the legislation goes through. If / when it goes through you can request another quote and see the difference easily.

I would suggest get them to do you up multiple quotes (its all system generated, shouldnt take them long at all) for maybe 3 and 5 year leases. They did say that if it passes the legislation will be reviewed in 3 years, so you wouldn't want to get locked into a 5 year lease and lose the reason you signed up for it for the final two years.

Good idea to get a quote before the legislation goes through. If / when it goes through you can request another quote and see the difference easily.

I would suggest get them to do you up multiple quotes (its all system generated, shouldnt take them long at all) for maybe 3 and 5 year leases. They did say that if it passes the legislation will be reviewed in 3 years, so you wouldn't want to get locked into a 5 year lease and lose the reason you signed up for it for the final two years.
Yep smart idea, will do thanks

Fringe benefits tax (FBT) – a 47.00% tax on electric cars provided through a business for private use of the vehicle.

That's the exemption, so I'm not sure if a business buying one outright would get any benefit unless they were buying it for an employee to have private use. Would have to check in with an accountant on that one sorry. Anyway.. i didn't mean to hijack the thread! back to dates and vin numbers!

I'm not sure if a business buying one outright would get any benefit unless they were buying it for an employee to have private use
Yes. Sorry, that's what I meant. I am an employee of my own small business, so am considering getting my company to buy it for mostly my personal use. I'm wondering whether it's fine to just purchase it outright and still get the FBT exemption.

I emailed Paywise just last week, the FBT exemption is not legislated yet so they can't give me a quote. But the 3 and 5 year quotes they gave me did not seem worth the hassle, although there is a small saving it is limits my cashflow quite a bit with high fees and high interest. It felt a bit worse off than the 3.99% loan I'm approved for, but it expires in August.