Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I could definitely be wrong here but my SA led me to believe that your position in the queue was effected by things like how quickly you completed all the "next steps" in your account, which included securing financing if you had selected that as your method of payment. Which is why I got that all done within a few days of ordering... was anyone else told that?

Yes, I was told exactly this and hence why I completed all my steps within the week of ordering.
My SA actually told me that my order does not progress further until you finish the steps.

• Informative
Reactions: Ormaus
I could definitely be wrong here but my SA led me to believe that your position in the queue was effected by things like how quickly you completed all the "next steps" in your account, which included securing financing if you had selected that as your method of payment. Which is why I got that all done within a few days of ordering... was anyone else told that?
This would be very sad as I completed finance and other steps way later, like mid March 🥲

Your options are surrender $350 order fee or sell the ordered 3 and make a profit. Why would anyone cancel if they preferred the Y?

Throw away $350 or make money? No brainer.
Not an issue for me cause I prefer the 3 to the Y anyway. For my personal preference, the Y is too stiff, have very small rear view, less range and not as zippy. Have driven 4WDs and SUVs in the past, so I’ll miss the height and space, but enjoy the new car when it arrives 😬 BTW they have also offered me a used demo from Feb with 3,000+ kms for around A$2,000 more a couple of weeks ago which I politely declined. The wait for VIN continues 🙄

This would be very sad as I completed finance and other steps way later, like mid March 🥲
That might account for some of the differences in VINs supplied compared to order date that we see. (besides supply of specific colour combinations for a type).

Unless and until Tesla opens up the queue position for inspection we will likely never know more about this though.
Build date is probably the best we can do for trying to figure out queue position for now.

Not an issue for me cause I prefer the 3 to the Y anyway. For my personal preference, the Y is too stiff, have very small rear view, less range and not as zippy. Have driven 4WDs and SUVs in the past, so I’ll miss the height and space, but enjoy the new car when it arrives 😬 BTW they have also offered me a used demo from Feb with 3,000+ kms for around A$2,000 more a couple of weeks ago which I politely declined. The wait for VIN continues 🙄
Wow. A used 3 for $2k more? Bizarre.

Which City/State if you don't mind me asking?

There's no promises that can be made. I'm a couple of weeks before you, and I personally feel confident that if not in this current batch (arriving August), then November is much more likely. Before Christmas, I feel good about it. But can't promise you anything, just vague hopes.
Thanks, I'm also hoping that would be the case. worse of worse want it this year. Fingers crossed.

Dont forget the loyalty penalty that is in pretty much every insurer.
The longer you stay the more the insurance rates slowly rise until they are above (and sometimes way above) market.

Check every year.

Friend of mine does so through a broker for all their insurance every year and does really well out it. Your mileage may vary.
How much does the broker charge for the service, and how much commission do they get for doing something anybody can literally do themselves if they spend a good 30 minutes in front of a computer?

Anyone else out there who ordered around 10 Dec blue LR and still no VIN?
Wondering if I need to pay a bribe or change my deodorant!
Assuming they do not build to order....

They will build a certain amount of each variation probably based on stats. So many White/Black, less Red/Black, even less Red/White, etc Then they match up what they have built to the queue.

So while we have order dates that have been turned into VINs the actual 'edge' of when this has happened is a saw tooth rather that straight cut off date (so might be 9/12 for LR Blue/Black, 10/12 for White/White, 14/12 for White/Black). We just dont have the volume of people in the TMC forum to be able to accurately assess where that is.

The list I make gives you an idea of where they are up to. For a Blue/Black LR that should be 9/12 so you're probably front of the queue. If you're Blue/White LR that should be 7/12 so you're probably very close to, if not the, front of the queue.

This happened to me. My RWD OD 1/22 was bypassed simply because I didn't accept nor reject the trade in and I thought I could let it lapse as it was valid only until mid April. I asked the question on why my contact and payment details box was unticked and my SA didn't answer me, until a couple of days ago. I rejected the trade in and my account moved on to next step. I would have gotten the allocation in the last batch.