Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
its not about them intentionally making it worse. the global chip shortage is still at its peak. the way tesla has survived so long is a testament to their supply chain department's capability. but some things are out of Tesla's control. if they hit by chip shortages, then they will regrettably have to remove some features from the car. Ryzen CPU is not the only chip in the car. Shop around and you will find Audi, BMW and other have also removed some features (temporarily) due to global chip shortages. So far there have been minor changes affected Tesla (passenger side lumbar support, dedicated graphics card, USB data, etc.) To compensate for this, they have provided free upgrades to heated seats and heated steering wheel for new cars. In summary, we dont know how long the chip shortage will last and how long Tesla can shield themselves from that. if the chip shortage is resolved, they may bring the removed features back in 2023 model to make it same as Jan 2022 model.
Ya, yet the 3rd party solution remains and not suffering from the same chip shortage? Also, remember the USB data chip is not only used on tesla, it's also on your laptop, on your USB hub, on your desktop, on your cameras, everywhere. Have you seen Apple cut 2 usb-c ports from their MacBooks? Do they manufacture less devices every year than Tesla?

It appears to me that Tesla is the only company suffering from a USB-C data chip shortage at the moment.

In addition, Elon mentioned in his post that the passenger Lumbar support was removed because the "log shows it has not been used enough to justify its value", Dedicated Graphics were removed silently without reason (There isn't any shortage of high-end chips), Mobile Charger was removed because "people aren't using them" which I think in some cases that's correct but there are many people around me who are using the mobile charger.

Last edited:
Interesting that an aftermarket supplier can manufacture this but supply chain issues prevent Tesla doing so?
I think by "supply chain issues", Tesla means that a slight cost increase compounded over hundreds of thousands of cars eats into their profit margins.

Fanbois take this as 'for the good of the cult'. But soon they will all move to a nice plot of land in Guyana to make babies for the cause, offering up their wives and daughters to inherit the genetics of their leader to maximise the 'light of consciousness'.

Inevitably leading to their consumption of a certain artificial fruit drink.

Reactions: Draco
It appears to me that Tesla is the only company suffering from a USB-C data chip shortage at the moment.

They aren't

Apple etc may not have removed them but they are still suffering from shortages. People are going in and aren't able to just grab one from the shelf anymore ( or at least they weren't in Australia )

We had 3 month delays on laptops, 6 month delays on USB-C docks and 4 month delays on USB-C Hub Monitors. The shortage is/was/still is in motion, certainly not as bad as it was a few months ago.

I wouldn't be at all surprised though if Tesla never adds them back in.

Why? From all reports Ryzen is much better and much quicker than the old Intel processor, so hopefully we get Ryzen.
EDIT: Just did a bit of research and they are now coming with Ryzen, that's good.

As for other features, surely Tesla will only improve the car with time, not make it worse. That makes zero sense.
Like removing data USB ports in the centre console where you have a lot more room for an SSD that the glovebox? Or removing the UMC from future orders? Or removing lumbar support from the passenger seat? Only improvement is to Tesla's bottom line.

Reactions: Draco
They aren't

Apple etc may not have removed them but they are still suffering from shortages. People are going in and aren't able to just grab one from the shelf anymore ( or at least they weren't in Australia )

We had 3 month delays on laptops, 6 month delays on USB-C docks and 4 month delays on USB-C Hub Monitors. The shortage is/was/still is in motion, certainly not as bad as it was a few months ago.
Yeah but you don't know if they were caused by USB-c ports shortage?

I just went and bought one of those usb-c data modules which has two usb-c data ports and two usb-A ports, the shipment is almost instantaneous.

I think by "supply chain issues", Tesla means that a slight cost increase compounded over hundreds of thousands of cars eats into their profit margins.

Fanbois take this as 'for the good of the cult'. But soon they will all move to a nice plot of land in Guyana to make babies for the cause, offering up their wives and daughters to inherit the genetics of their leader to maximise the 'light of consciousness'.

Inevitably leading to their consumption of a certain artificial fruit drink.
I am more inclined to believe the so-called "shortage" is not that it's unmanageable and Tesla was not able to secure USB-c chips for everyone's car, it's to do with how much they pay and if they are willing to add $10 to their cost per car.

We had multiple suppliers and vendors confirm USB shortages.

It wasn't just one Vendor that had issues with USB-C docks and USB-C Dock monitors, they had no issues with panels or anything else as you could pick up a standard monitor with no delays.
Yet jump on eBay you can get instant shipments of a USB-c hub or a motherboard that arrive in 3 days. Do they not suffer from USB shortages or do you think they were made before COVID?

I admit there is currently a shortage but anyone who is serious about their business did not appear to be affected by the shortage. (well at least I did not see any computers offering only one USB-c port).

For your reference, Apple ships M2 MacBook air in 3-4 weeks. Tesla ships their cars in 6-9 months.

Reactions: Hoopyfrood
In addition, Elon mentioned in his post that the passenger Lumbar support was removed because the "log shows it has not been used enough to justify its value", Dedicated Graphics were removed silently without reason (There isn't any shortage of high-end chips), Mobile Charger was removed because "people aren't using them" which I think in some cases that's correct but there are many people around me who are using the mobile charger.
Passenger Lumbar support probably fair enough on passenger side...if the logs show it's not being used, then I'm ok with that.
Mobile Charger I can't imagine would be used much at all (although I understand not everyone is in the same boat).

Can you explain about dedicated graphics? Is this a graphics card on main screen? What is the negative of not having this? Purely for games? And what has it been replaced with as I know games can still be played on it. I don't know much about this one, although I know I'll never use the Tesla screen for any games, but that's just me.

Passenger Lumbar support probably fair enough on passenger side...if the logs show it's not being used, then I'm ok with that.
Mobile Charger I can't imagine would be used much at all (although I understand not everyone is in the same boat).

Can you explain about dedicated graphics? Is this a graphics card on main screen? What is the negative of not having this? Purely for games? And what has it been replaced with as I know games can still be played on it. I don't know much about this one, although I know I'll never use the Tesla screen for any games, but that's just me.
I think it was introduced mainly for gaming purposes (therefore it has exactly the same setup as a PS5 with Ryzen CPUs and Dedicated AMD Graphics). Around April - May it was reported that the graphics card is no longer being offered as part of the new car. There isn't an official announcement about these.

Many people stay in rentals and they do not want to install wall chargers (costly and may become a risk). Mobile Charger is great for them if they travel less than 100km on daily basis.

Reactions: Greyalset