Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had a pre-delivery Model 3 experience over the weekend, hired one for the day yesterday from a guy a couple of suburbs over from me in inner Melbourne.
  • Car matched the spec we have on order closely - Blue / RWD - only difference was it had white interior and we've ordered black
  • I'm glad we ordered black interior as there was some scuff / discolouration on the front seats - I suspect if you religiously clean them periodically that wouldn't build up, but I don't think I'm the kind of person who will clean that often, so I don't mind that it will be somewhat hidden by the darker material
  • The car was about a year old, and it showed some wear on the Alcantara phone resting space, and the corners in the steering wheel showed signs of "creasing" wear (if that's a thing?)
  • The owner had taken the aero wheel covers off because it looks better, and I'm on the fence with this. I'll probably take them off when I want the car to "look sporty" (Chap laps anyone?) and put them on for longer drives for the supposed efficiency gains - if I can be bothered - and depending how easy they are to remove, and how much wear taking them on or off causes
  • Throughout the day I travelled about 190kms all up, in different driving conditions around Melbourne metro
  • Monash - the new section with clear lane markings was a breeze with autopilot
  • Sections of road where lane markings are all over the place - I'm looking at you, City Road between South Melbourne and Port Melbourne - I didn't even bother trying Tesla vision
  • Some sections of the Eastern Fwy (both directions) have very poor road markings - made me a little tense with autopilot but no adverse issues
  • I don't trust Tesla lane keeping along Ferntree Gully Rd because of how uneven it is, and the road markings come and go, but I did have cruise control on
  • There was a moment on Ferntree Gully Rd around Scoresby when a car turning right from the opposite direction pulled out in to the oncoming lanes and just kind-of slowed down to almost a stop before getting out of the way. The offending car was black, and lighting was poor, but the Tesla dutifully slowed right down, quite suddenly. I was sort-of anticipating this happening and didn't worry too much because there weren't any other cars around me. But gosh some people are idiots. If it were me driving I probably wouldn't have slammed the brakes on as early as the Tesla did.
  • The owner was happy if I returned it with just 15%+ battery, but it gave me an opportunity to test my 32A single phase wall connector install again - two charges - one for 20 minutes from 91% -> 96%, and the other for 45 minutes from 41% -> 51%. And of course with the wall connector installed its such an easy step of picking up the cable off the connector, and plugging it straight into the car once you get out - this is a small convenience thing that I value in having the wall connector installed over the UMC
  • Some ICE cars tried to take me on at the lights but I won each time - not sure how hard they were trying, but I didn't feel like I was trying hard either (it isn't my car afterall)
  • We spotted a lot of Teslas (about 5 M3's and 1 MY) along the Eastern Fwy -> Alexandra Pde, including the Model 3 driver who I made eye contact with on the Fwy - we had a little "wave moment" before almost veering into each other :p
My commute is from northern suburbs to scoresby so love the insight around Ferntree gully. I take multiple different routes depending on traffic to get there every morning but almost always take the m1 on the way home. There was a time I’d take springvale road to avoid tolls, wonder how ap fairs there. Just hard to trust drivers on that stretch.

I had a pre-delivery Model 3 experience over the weekend, hired one for the day yesterday from a guy a couple of suburbs over from me in inner Melbourne.
  • Car matched the spec we have on order closely - Blue / RWD - only difference was it had white interior and we've ordered black
  • I'm glad we ordered black interior as there was some scuff / discolouration on the front seats - I suspect if you religiously clean them periodically that wouldn't build up, but I don't think I'm the kind of person who will clean that often, so I don't mind that it will be somewhat hidden by the darker material
  • The car was about a year old, and it showed some wear on the Alcantara phone resting space, and the corners in the steering wheel showed signs of "creasing" wear (if that's a thing?)
  • The owner had taken the aero wheel covers off because it looks better, and I'm on the fence with this. I'll probably take them off when I want the car to "look sporty" (Chap laps anyone?) and put them on for longer drives for the supposed efficiency gains - if I can be bothered - and depending how easy they are to remove, and how much wear taking them on or off causes
  • Throughout the day I travelled about 190kms all up, in different driving conditions around Melbourne metro
  • Monash - the new section with clear lane markings was a breeze with autopilot
  • Sections of road where lane markings are all over the place - I'm looking at you, City Road between South Melbourne and Port Melbourne - I didn't even bother trying Tesla vision
  • Some sections of the Eastern Fwy (both directions) have very poor road markings - made me a little tense with autopilot but no adverse issues
  • I don't trust Tesla lane keeping along Ferntree Gully Rd because of how uneven it is, and the road markings come and go, but I did have cruise control on
  • There was a moment on Ferntree Gully Rd around Scoresby when a car turning right from the opposite direction pulled out in to the oncoming lanes and just kind-of slowed down to almost a stop before getting out of the way. The offending car was black, and lighting was poor, but the Tesla dutifully slowed right down, quite suddenly. I was sort-of anticipating this happening and didn't worry too much because there weren't any other cars around me. But gosh some people are idiots. If it were me driving I probably wouldn't have slammed the brakes on as early as the Tesla did.
  • The owner was happy if I returned it with just 15%+ battery, but it gave me an opportunity to test my 32A single phase wall connector install again - two charges - one for 20 minutes from 91% -> 96%, and the other for 45 minutes from 41% -> 51%. And of course with the wall connector installed its such an easy step of picking up the cable off the connector, and plugging it straight into the car once you get out - this is a small convenience thing that I value in having the wall connector installed over the UMC
  • Some ICE cars tried to take me on at the lights but I won each time - not sure how hard they were trying, but I didn't feel like I was trying hard either (it isn't my car afterall)
  • We spotted a lot of Teslas (about 5 M3's and 1 MY) along the Eastern Fwy -> Alexandra Pde, including the Model 3 driver who I made eye contact with on the Fwy - we had a little "wave moment" before almost veering into each other :p
I wonder if the wear and tear is due to the car being a rental car, hence would naturally be having a lot more ... less-than-careful treatment :) But still, as mine is also white interior, it's something to consider.

My commute is from northern suburbs to scoresby so love the insight around Ferntree gully. I take multiple different routes depending on traffic to get there every morning but almost always take the m1 on the way home. There was a time I’d take springvale road to avoid tolls, wonder how ap fairs there. Just hard to trust drivers on that stretch.
I used Eastlink from the Eastern Fwy to Boronia Rd, and the section just out from the tunnel under Ringwood always gives me the heebeegeebies - I think the onramp from Maroondah Hwy southbound isn't designed well, and there always seems to be contention between cars like me trying to exit at Canterbury / Boronia Rd, and other cars getting on. So I guess if you're going straight through there, then stick to the right lanes there and put autopilot on.

Speaking of Ferntree Gully Rd though, driving down from Wheelers Hill towards Eastlink, I actually saw the battery gain 1% from regen going down the hill. In an ICE car I've always found that hill annoying going down - difficult to keep to the speed limit and with other cars. But the Tesla with regen sticks to the speed limit with ease. There's a similar stretch along Wellington Rd which might have the same behaviour.

Last edited:
I wonder if the wear and tear is due to the car being a rental car, hence would naturally be having a lot more ... less-than-careful treatment :) But still, as mine is also white interior, it's something to consider.
I didn't ask how long he'd had it up for rent for, but looking at the owner's profile I think its only been available for a month or two. The car was immaculate on the outside.

If like me you're not very fastidious about keeping things clean, I think black is a good choice for interior.