Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Cruise Control has been around for a while, Advanced cruise control, lane keeping, blind spot monitoring and similar tech have all been available for some time in many luxury and semi luxury brands. Tesla also isn't the first to introduce automated driving, they are however moving faster and with a rapidly growing and larger user base than any car, people moving or transport company at present.

Where there's a will there's a way - Which is probably why we're seeing a shift with Tesla using the term "enhanced Auto Pilot" again. It smashes all those 'known' and accepted technologies already in the market place together in a neat package.

To say our legislation will 'axe' any of it from happening - Unlikely.
To say we'll never see it in our lifetime - Unlikely.
To say that a specific government will axe it or NEVER allow it..- Also unlikely, Public opinion is incredibly powerful. Look at Germanys recent court proceedings against FSD/EAP.
I’m meaning that Australia won’t allow a driverless car rather than the update to fsd, I’m sure that we’ll allow fsd with someone in the drivers seat but not with no one in it.

Pickup Report:
Just as I arrived at the warehouse, I received a call from Tesla saying that "there was a problem with Qld Transport" and they hadn't been able to complete the registration yet and that there would be "a delay".

I wasn't too impressed, having just driven for an hour to get there, only to be told that I couldn't have the car. Luckily though, they said they were onto the problem and the wait shouldn't be any more than an hour.

There weren't too many cars waiting for pickup (at least, not compared to the photos I've seen of Sydney and Melbourne.
View attachment 841776
There were probably about another 5 cars, out of shot to the left, ready for pickup and maybe another 5-10 being readied for pickup at the other end of the warehouse). Majority were LRs, with a handful of P's and even a couple of Y's right down in the back corner.

While I waited, I was allowed to sit in the car and start messing with stuff... so I did. Build quality appears to be 10/10, nothing that I could fault.

Anyway, sat in the car and got everything set up and then eventually ran out of stuff to do, so I fired up Netflix on the screen and started watching the original Top Gun movie :)

Finally, after about 45 minutes a bloke came over with the number plates and attached them for me and I was free to go.

Initial impressions:
  • Red is a sexy colour (exhibit 'b' below)
  • The sound system is great
  • Driving was way quieter than I remembered from my test drive (road noise)
  • The basic autopilot features had finished calibrating by the time I completed the ~15km drive home
  • I'm going to get *so* many speeding tickets - doesn't matter what speed you're going, as soon as you even think about pressing the accelerator, you're suddenly doing 10km/h over the speed limit.
  • No sign of @Ormaus - probably a good thing, as I'd forgotten the water and snacks.
View attachment 841783

Thanks for putting up with me in the waiting room, and may VINs rain down upon you soon!
The Red looks amazing....almost makes me wish I went that way instead of the black. Sigh - first world issues :)

Pickup Report:
Just as I arrived at the warehouse, I received a call from Tesla saying that "there was a problem with Qld Transport" and they hadn't been able to complete the registration yet and that there would be "a delay".

I wasn't too impressed, having just driven for an hour to get there, only to be told that I couldn't have the car. Luckily though, they said they were onto the problem and the wait shouldn't be any more than an hour.

There weren't too many cars waiting for pickup (at least, not compared to the photos I've seen of Sydney and Melbourne.
View attachment 841776
There were probably about another 5 cars, out of shot to the left, ready for pickup and maybe another 5-10 being readied for pickup at the other end of the warehouse). Majority were LRs, with a handful of P's and even a couple of Y's right down in the back corner.

While I waited, I was allowed to sit in the car and start messing with stuff... so I did. Build quality appears to be 10/10, nothing that I could fault.

Anyway, sat in the car and got everything set up and then eventually ran out of stuff to do, so I fired up Netflix on the screen and started watching the original Top Gun movie :)

Finally, after about 45 minutes a bloke came over with the number plates and attached them for me and I was free to go.

Initial impressions:
  • The basic autopilot features had finished calibrating by the time I completed the ~15km drive home
  • I'm going to get *so* many speeding tickets - doesn't matter what speed you're going, as soon as you even think about pressing the accelerator, you're suddenly doing 10km/h over the speed limit.
  • No sign of @Ormaus - probably a good thing, as I'd forgotten the water and snacks.
View attachment 841783

Thanks for putting up with me in the waiting room, and may VINs rain down upon you soon!
Love the red, glad I made the right choice for me!

Reactions: CompleteMuppit
Pickup Report:

View attachment 841776

Initial impressions:
View attachment 841783

Was in two minds when I paid the extra $$ for the red, now I don't think I would regret. You have got a damn good looking car!

• Funny
Reactions: Polarxp
If we can have buses.. Why can't we have cars?.. keep it coming bro.

Buses go on specific route where they mark every obstacle and tricky bits for AI to understand , Real problem with cars is there are lot of strange objects and wrong line marking and conditions which change , hence much harder for a car . Even Elon said same in one of his interview , its easy to achieve FSD if we AI already know the route

Buses go on specific route where they mark every obstacle and tricky bits for AI to understand , Real problem with cars is there are lot of strange objects and wrong line marking and conditions which change , hence much harder for a car . Even Elon said same in one of his interview , its easy to achieve FSD if we AI already know the route

absolutely agree with that (yet there's still complexity and randomness even on set routes like pedestrians or other D*&khead drivers) It's the same with Driverless Vessels and Drones. Autonomous vessels in Australia
Like everything IT - Remove People from the equation and everything will work properly.
This also has leads into the Tesla 'hive mind' idea Elon mentioned where cars are now watching for Potholes for other vehicles. Likewise Obstructions and Traffic conditions, shortcuts etc will all be relayed back and shared with nearby (tesla) vehicles.

However
My focus in this discussion is that Australian Government (Federal/State or local) isn't/aren't going to dis-allow EAP, FSD or even driverless vehicles.
We have precedent, we have future use cases and we're already investigating and are trialling in different states and sectors.

absolutely agree with that (yet there's still complexity and randomness even on set routes like pedestrians or other D*&khead drivers) It's the same with Driverless Vessels and Drones. Autonomous vessels in Australia
Like everything IT - Remove People from the equation and everything will work properly.
This also has leads into the Tesla 'hive mind' idea Elon mentioned where cars are now watching for Potholes for other vehicles. Likewise Obstructions and Traffic conditions, shortcuts etc will all be relayed back and shared with nearby (tesla) vehicles.

However
My focus in this discussion is that Australian Government (Federal/State or local) isn't/aren't going to dis-allow EAP, FSD or even driverless vehicles.
We have precedent, we have future use cases and we're already investigating and are trialling in different states and sectors.
I think this trail make more sense in QLD where most busways are tunnels or separate only buses corridors , i dont think we will see this in open roads anytime soon , it may be combination of driver and autonomous driving . But full FSD is at least 5yrs away and this really sceptical target

I think FSD is not legal anywhere in the world , it comes to massive change in legislation on liability who takes the blame going to be interesting , i don't think any company would be willing to back their product (even if its 100% FSD) with guarantee of liability . It could be owner but then again what if a malfunction how can we prove that

My current car seems to know what's going on. Got the notification the oil change is due a couple weeks ago, and yesterday it started reminding me a service is due in a couple weeks. Hurry up and give me my Tesla already - every cent I spend on this thing feels like wasted money!
I'm in the same boat! My car was due for service 3000km ago 😂

I feel most look at the word "Driverless" in an incorrect context. Like it is a luxury or a costly yet cool option.

To me, it doesn't mean that we are going to allow you to have this great new feature that helps you not have to drive it. It means we are going to STOP you from driving. For a hundred years, you have been a hazard, we will stop issuing driver's licenses, stop you from driving, and definitely stop you from being able to kill others. The novelty will wear off and automation will in time become mandatory, rather than a luxury.

The technology to achieve this is almost complete, it is just all the dumb cars on the road that are holding back the smart cars. Plus it will take decades and governments with vision around the world to legislate it.

We can debate whether that's 5 years or 50 years away, but I would be confident it will happen eventually.

I think this trail make more sense in QLD where most busways are tunnels or separate only buses corridors , i dont think we will see this in open roads anytime soon , it may be combination of driver and autonomous driving . But full FSD is at least 5yrs away and this really sceptical target

I think FSD is not legal anywhere in the world , it comes to massive change in legislation on liability who takes the blame going to be interesting , i don't think any company would be willing to back their product (even if its 100% FSD) with guarantee of liability . It could be owner but then again what if a malfunction how can we prove that
I totally agree 100% with you on this.

FSD Is not necessarily a Technology issue anymore. It's now legal, more so the liability and who is to blame if something goes wrong. That 'Human Factor' I mentioned before

In teslas Autopilot, EAP and FSD (and other models to some degree), that's why you need to have your hand(s) on the wheel and be in TOTAL control of the car at any given time. Alerts, Seatbelt tightening, Internal cameras monitoring the driver everything is there for liability reasons and provide enough evidence that ALL appropriate steps were taken to ensure the driver didn't pull out the switch and smash some mario kart records. Once you've proven the essentials, then logs can be combed over for RCA (Root Cause Analysis).

And just on Driverless Buses, pretty much every state in Aus has had a trial of some kind in enclosed areas or on open road - (UNI Shuttles, small routes, train station shuttles) and are in some way looking to expand on these. That Article earlier is NSWs move form tiny shuttles to big boy buses.

The Future is an exciting and scary place.

Spoke to my SA today - confirmed we have an Adelaide Delivery center

1660709669259.png

Reactions: Stokesy and Braz
I'm in the same boat! My car was due for service 3000km ago 😂
HAH Same boat here too.. Service due light has been dinging for a month now, I had the tyres rotated earlier in the year - got told my CV Boot covers need replacing.. said nah stuff it .. I'll wait.

Every tank of gas, every KM travelled is just pushing me more and more into the EV camp!!
🤣

That is same spec as me and a day after... If this is true my day is ruined
Pure speculation on my part (don't shoot) - I think we Perthians are not going to get anything now. Any RWDs that get allocated now (either cancellations or new builds shoved onto ships) will be for the Eastern States because we won't get them in our hands in time for the numbers to be counted in Q3.

Pure speculation on my part (don't shoot) - I think we Perthians are not going to get anything now. Any RWDs that get allocated now (either cancellations or new builds shoved onto ships) will be for the Eastern States because we won't get them in our hands in time for the numbers to be counted in Q3.
What if they do another direct to Freo shipment though?

Reactions: Mal Cartwright
I hope you're wrong, just because that's a crappy way to treat your customers. Fingers crossed we get a flood in the next few days that clears all the Q1 orders.