Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As the car seems to be getting closer, I thought it was time to bust out the plates and drill the mounting holes. Went great for the rear one by sadly cracked the front one partly through my lack of trade skills and partly because these plates are brittle AF. Oh well…have to order a new one and live with the cracked one for a while.
View attachment 845330
FYI your plates are visible in this picture.

I can't see how it can be an excise, because it's not on a good. They would have to tax something tangible that you buy (like kWh). I don't want to give them ideas so I'll say no more :)
on the other hand taxing car use based on km-s driven will in many cases also be double dipping as there are so many toll roads and if you already pay the toll, then you should not pay again for the km-s driven on toll roads? I wonder if someone would take them to court over double dipping if the federal court thing does not get them to drop it?

Is it just me that grates their teeth when I read advice like “be patient, it really is a great car” from people that have received their cars or at least a VIN. More frustrating… some ordered their vehicles way after people still awaiting a VIN. I know you mean well…. But over 6 months waiting while other cars seemingly “jump the queue” is seriously annoying. Plus it seems our configuration will now be at least another month before the “dartboard of fate” possibly smiles on us. I believe it was 2 months ago that there were any meaningful production numbers.

Last edited:
Is it just me that grates their teeth when I read advice like “be patient, it really is a great car” from people that have received their cars or at least a VIN. More frustrating… they ordered their vehicles way after people still awaiting a VIN.
I actually have to agree. Showing everyone your love for the car is fine and all but such "advice" gives the same vibes as rich people telling others "money doesn't buy happiness" 😅

I might not use the exact same language today, but my post from back in May when I realised I wasn't getting my car in Q2 feels relevant here: Australian Model 3 Waiting Room

I was meant to pick up Thursday and last minute they said sorry, your car is still in Melbourne. It won't be in Adelaide until the following Tuesday. Then Friday afternoon, I got a call, it's here and ready to be picked up. But we are closed Saturday. So Monday it is, after 8 months and 2 weeks.
Did you end up getting it delivered. I ended up having the exact same thing happen as you did and I am also in Adelaide. I actually lost 300 bux as I had to change some business flights to accommodate the original pick up time. Definitely sounds like they need to refine their process a bit. lol

I was meant to pick up Thursday and last minute they said sorry, your car is still in Melbourne. It won't be in Adelaide until the following Tuesday. Then Friday afternoon, I got a call, it's here and ready to be picked up. But we are closed Saturday. So Monday it is, after 8 months and 2 weeks.
Did you end up getting it delivered the following Monday as I have had to exact same thing happen to me and I am also in Adelaide. Definitely sounds like they need to refine there process a little bit because based on all the lurking on the comments I have done it happens regularly.

Is it just me that grates their teeth when I read advice like “be patient, it really is a great car” from people that have received their cars or at least a VIN. More frustrating… some ordered their vehicles way after people still awaiting a VIN. I know you mean well…. But over 6 months waiting while other cars seemingly “jump the queue” is seriously annoying. Plus it seems our configuration will now be at least another month before the “dartboard of fate” possibly smiles on us. I believe it was 2 months ago that there were any meaningful production numbers.
I've made similar comments recently. Waiting 5 months for a VIN and around 6 to receiving your car, compared to the oldest outstanding RWD orders, then suggesting "it's worth the wait" is kinda a red rag to a bull.

I'm genuinely happy for those who are picking up their cars and I look forward to that excitement, but right now staring down what looks like an 8 month wait is frustrating.

As the car seems to be getting closer, I thought it was time to bust out the plates and drill the mounting holes. Went great for the rear one by sadly cracked the front one partly through my lack of trade skills and partly because these plates are brittle AF. Oh well…have to order a new one and live with the cracked one for a while.
View attachment 845330
Bummer, nice plates though 👍

Also, for anyone who's interested. Our car will arrive 7mths and 1 day from our our order date. OD 28th January RWD MS with white interior. From original purchase date should have been here no later than the 10th of June. 14 to 20 weeks. Also roughly 6 weeks after build date for a rural delivery NSW.
Following up on that, I was one of the first to have the blown out deliveries. Ordered on Nov 6 last year, with a 8-12 delivery window. (The night before I ordered, the window was 3-6 weeks). That meant it should have arrived in January.
Missed out on the Q1 delivery as they hadn’t built one to my spec.
Then came the Q2 shutdown, so it looked like I’d end up in Q3, but I was lucky enough to get one of the 175 reallocated dealer demos.
Finally got a delivery date of June 18, seven and a half months after ordering.
If I had originally been told it would be 6-9 months, it wouldn’t have seemed so bad.
But…. Once the car was in my hands, I can honestly say that the wait was forgotten.

In comparison, we all know car dealers are the second lowest form of life (one above real estate salesmen), it’s just lately we are on their hook for months instead of days….