Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Definitely!! Curious on what you are told. As if you are being charged $190 it should absolutely be a slimline black plate, they are even making a small profit on the plate (actual price from VicRoads is $185).

With a standard issue plate I believe it can only be directly passed on ($39.20 being the precise price).
STANDARD may mean it’s not a personalised plate. It can still be a slimline.

Reactions: mpowney
RE: Number plates, I checked my final invoice and it shows only $44 for the Standard Blue Plates (VIC).
I'd recommend checking your FINAL invoice and seeing if the price has been reduced to reflect that, because the original price was $190 but has been reduced accordingly. I'm swapping out for custom plates straight after delivery, so cheaper is better for me :)
1667789305560.png

Reactions: Pierce11
Does anyone know where the reports came from? Like - was it actually someone receiving a car with the standard size plates?
It seems some photos in a Facebook group of recent pickup? I haven't seen these photos myself though and even then would need to know what the plate fee was for that order, otherwise it's speculation.

What we can say is safe to say is that if you've got the $190 fee expect slimline plates! :D

RE: Number plates, I checked my final invoice and it shows only $44 for the Standard Blue Plates (VIC).
I'd recommend checking your FINAL invoice and seeing if the price has been reduced to reflect that, because the original price was $190 but has been reduced accordingly. I'm swapping out for custom plates straight after delivery, so cheaper is better for me :)
View attachment 871909
Thanks for confirming that makes sense!!

Did you get the option to change it back to slimline before you got the invoice? Though of course in your case since you are changing to custom anyway the slimline is useless.

View attachment 871909

Can confirm the slimlines will show up as "STANDARD" then which will be $190

1667789662038.png

Reactions: xavier2k3
Thanks for confirming that makes sense!!

Did you get the option to change it back to slimline before you got the invoice? Though of course in your case since you are changing to custom anyway the slimline is useless.
You'd have to email your service advisor. I'd recommend doing it weeks (at least 3 weeks) before you get your car, because the plates will be mailed to Tesla.

When I initially ordered my plate fee was $39 which is SA's standard plate fee. We didn't have the option of slimline plates back then but since then a delivery centre has opened up and if you place an order now the fee is $228, which I assume is the slim plate. I'm hoping this means I do not need to buy two sets of plates 🤞🤞🤞 But let's work on getting some 3's into the state first lol

When I initially ordered my plate fee was $39 which is SA's standard plate fee. We didn't have the option of slimline plates back then but since then a delivery centre has opened up and if you place an order now the fee is $228, which I assume is the slim plate. I'm hoping this means I do not need to buy two sets of plates 🤞🤞🤞 But let's work on getting some 3's into the state first lol
Yeah it's something that can be addressed when you get the final invoice as there is more than enough time between getting the invoice and getting the car.

Definitely appreciate the heads up about the situation though, as I will now look at the itemised points more carefully when the invoice comes along.

Are the people getting standard blue and white plates only the people who originally ordered custom plates but now that Tesla has deemed that a logistical problem and have changed them over to standard plates, the cheapest, to leave it to the owner to organise a custom plate change?
In my case, yes. I contacted my SA to enquire about custom plates being removed, and they must have taken the initiative to give me the cheapest plates possible