Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Their is another Grande Mirafiori moving to dock now in Brisbane as I type :)
Here is the port Schedule for Brisbane.. Grande Mirafiori tomorrow and Turandot 13th of March
for Sydney Grande Mirafiori 12th and Turandot 14th of March
and For Melb Grande Mirafiori 20th and Turandot 24th of March
Enjoy :) Melb keeps moving out as the evil boat HOEGH TROOPER had a fire and taken up one of the three births since 18th of Feb and not moved since

According to the Maritime Union of Australia, Norwegian-flagged ro-ro vessel Hoegh Trooper (IMO: 9075711) caught fire at the port on Saturday afternoon (18 February).
Hi, does anyone know whether the fire damaged any of the cars (and if so how many ?) that were on the Hoegh Trooper at the time of the fire on 18 February ? and when the engine repairs are expected to be completed ? I have a vehicle that was on that ship and I can't find out anything from the supplier.

Ordered my MY RWD last week and the EDD says Apr- June 2023. (Brisbane) What do ye think, wishful thinking on Tesla’s behalf? Or is the china factory after ramping up enough to catch up with orders that quickly?
Interesting, I just put my spec in for a new order (Black LR with white interior) and it says delivery Mar-Apr 2023... I still have an EDD Feb-May 2023 for my order made in July 22.

Interesting, I just put my spec in for a new order (Black LR with white interior) and it says delivery Mar-Apr 2023... I still have an EDD Feb-May 2023 for my order made in July 22.
Yes. Nice to see I am not the only one in this forgotten group.

Feeling a lot of mixed feelings. I had a Tesla Model y on order, then, they offered delivery to me in December and I cancelled it and lost the $350 deposit (I was in hospital). I assume the Model 3 would be well, soon. My existing car has now had rego/insurance. Which required new tyres and now a whole bunch of mechanical and just frustrating stuff like aircon blower not responding all the time. Just stuff that reminds you of driving and older car and not having a new one. For some reason in the last 2 months all my clear coat is coming off too..

Probably should have taken the Model Y when offered it. I am vexed about the model 3 long range as it will now probably be one of the last of the older models before the hardware refresh. Also now, if you order today you get a car sooner? Or wait a bit longer and possibly get a heavily refresh car, with better battery technology, better technology, better residual and possibly cheaper.

I was one of the original numpties that put down a $1000 deposit when the model 3 was meant to come to Australia. I eventually cancelled that after a year wait, and thought I would just get one when they actually started turning up.

Now. Now it feels like forever.. By the time it arrives, I won't even get the smug feeling of newness. I was the first person at my work organisation to order a tesla, but there are now half a dozen people who I convinced that have accepted their RWD model 3s. Lots of people ask me why I haven't gotten one yet.

My finance approval runs out in april. Even the leasing company, SGfleet is asking me why I haven't gotten a car yet, because "everyone else" is getting deliveries.

Yes. Nice to see I am not the only one in this forgotten group.

Feeling a lot of mixed feelings. I had a Tesla Model y on order, then, they offered delivery to me in December and I cancelled it and lost the $350 deposit (I was in hospital). I assume the Model 3 would be well, soon. My existing car has now had rego/insurance. Which required new tyres and now a whole bunch of mechanical and just frustrating stuff like aircon blower not responding all the time. Just stuff that reminds you of driving and older car and not having a new one. For some reason in the last 2 months all my clear coat is coming off too..

Probably should have taken the Model Y when offered it. I am vexed about the model 3 long range as it will now probably be one of the last of the older models before the hardware refresh. Also now, if you order today you get a car sooner? Or wait a bit longer and possibly get a heavily refresh car, with better battery technology, better technology, better residual and possibly cheaper.

I was one of the original numpties that put down a $1000 deposit when the model 3 was meant to come to Australia. I eventually cancelled that after a year wait, and thought I would just get one when they actually started turning up.

Now. Now it feels like forever.. By the time it arrives, I won't even get the smug feeling of newness. I was the first person at my work organisation to order a tesla, but there are now half a dozen people who I convinced that have accepted their RWD model 3s. Lots of people ask me why I haven't gotten one yet.

My finance approval runs out in april. Even the leasing company, SGfleet is asking me why I haven't gotten a car yet, because "everyone else" is getting deliveries.
I was also in that group that put the pre-order deposit on the Tesla Model 3 before they shipped to AU. I actually bought that car and have been driving it for over 3.5 years now. And I am getting a LR Model 3 next week, upgrading from the first gen Model 3 SR+. I suspect the Model 3 refresh will not really hit AU market for at least another 6 months or more and I do not believe the price and the battery difference will be as big. The current Model 3 LR will be plenty for my needs.
I actually originally wanted to purchase the original Model 3 LR RWD version, however they never shipped those to AU, and AWD was out of my price range as at the time as the original AWD was rather more expensive. So in a way, next week, I will get a better car than I originally wanted at cheaper price. They have been doing continuous improvements and will continue to do them. I consider the facelift more of a bulk improvement but also cost reduction as the leaks suggest they will remove wood trim and make interior cheaper, so not too fussed about the facelift in the future :)
If you believe that the post facelift car will make you happier than the pre-facelift and your current transportation method can hold out until the facelift starts delivery to AU, then you should wait it out, however in my case, I actually like the current Model 3, so happy to upgrade now. I would not hold my breath on the price dropping as with the way inflation is going and the demand being above the production capacity, I suspect the prices will remain rather similar and the profits will go into factory upgrades.

If you believe that the post facelift car will make you happier than the pre-facelift and your current transportation method can hold out until the facelift starts delivery to AU, then you should wait it out, however in my case, I actually like the current Model 3, so happy to upgrade now. I would not hold my breath on the price dropping as with the way inflation is going and the demand being above the production capacity, I suspect the prices will remain rather similar and the profits will go into factory upgrades.
Its hard to say, only very vague rumors. It is probably the uncertainty that gets me. I like to be informed before purchasing.

I'm not too worried about HW4. Rear mega castings would be nice, but its unlikely to fundamentally change how the car is for the end user although its likely to have slightly more interior space, be stronger and quieter.

Probably the big thing I am apprehensive above is that a later model will likely move to a Lithium Phosphate battery that will be cheaper, have thousands of cycle life, charge faster, be happy with 100% charging and be safer. Its likely to be heavier, but something like a entirely new battery chemistry in the long range would probably be a significant change. Most people seem pretty happy with the Model 3 RWD after it changed to a phosphate battery. I guess your the perfect person to ask, does battery chemistry make much of a day to day difference or a difference to your purchase decision?

But it is also about getting the car. Tesla doesn't seem to be accurate with delivery dates, Australia seems to be a low priority market.

Usually I am just excited while waiting, however, this time I seem to be a bit more pessimistic and apprehensive. I don't have a VIN, I don't have a hidden VIN, I guess I feel a bit flightly about the whole thing. I don't know if its going to come with a charger. I don't know if it will come with USS or radar. I'm not really enjoying the wait.. I don't know what I am getting or when I am getting it.

Probably the big thing I am apprehensive above is that a later model will likely move to a Lithium Phosphate battery that will be cheaper, have thousands of cycle life, charge faster, be happy with 100% charging and be safer. Its likely to be heavier, but something like a entirely new battery chemistry in the long range would probably be a significant change. Most people seem pretty happy with the Model 3 RWD after it changed to a phosphate battery. I guess your the perfect person to ask, does battery chemistry make much of a day to day difference or a difference to your purchase decision?
The LFP batteries in practice don't seem to charge faster - the 2019 Fremont SR+ max out at 180kW whereas the LFP RWD are maxing out at 170kW, despite being a slightly larger capacity which all else being equal should charge at a faster rate.

In terms of the 100% charging thing, as long as you can charge at home then unless you're maxing out the range of the LR every day it doesn't really matter: charging each day to 90%, 80% or even 70% doesn't change anything if you're only using 20 or 30%. In this case you only need the full 100% on occasional long trips (and even then only if 100% is going to get you comfortably to a charger stop that you couldn't get to with say 90% or 95%, which is in practice rare).

There does also seem to be a downside of the LFP batteries - reports seem to indicate they're more prone to regen limitation warnings (perhaps more sensitive to heat buildup during regen charging?).

End of the day the chemistry feels like a wash to me.

Its hard to say, only very vague rumors. It is probably the uncertainty that gets me. I like to be informed before purchasing.

I'm not too worried about HW4. Rear mega castings would be nice, but its unlikely to fundamentally change how the car is for the end user although its likely to have slightly more interior space, be stronger and quieter.

But it is also about getting the car. Tesla doesn't seem to be accurate with delivery dates, Australia seems to be a low priority market.

Usually I am just excited while waiting, however, this time I seem to be a bit more pessimistic and apprehensive. I don't have a VIN, I don't have a hidden VIN, I guess I feel a bit flightly about the whole thing. I don't know if its going to come with a charger. I don't know if it will come with USS or radar. I'm not really enjoying the wait.. I don't know what I am getting or when I am getting it.
My current Model 3 SR+ has nickel based batteries as will my new LR Model be. Looking at the leaked information with the new form factor of the batteries coming, they will still use that same chemistry in the new form factor for the performance and most likely LR versions of the car. I believe the only ones getting the iron based batteries are SR/RWD versions of the car. This may change in the future and the battery chemistry has been slightly altered/improved over time. For me the choice between nickel and iron based batteries does not really matter as for my daily driving it does not need to be charged to 100%. I only charge it to 100% for longer trips and that happens a couple of times a month, rest of the times I charge it 1-2 times a week to 85% and drive it down to 25% before next charge. With LR, its very much more likely to be 1 charge per week and 1-2 charges for longer trips per month.
The changes to the batteries are at current stage more in the production and form factor side, so they take less time and space to manufacture and possibly with the better form factor have better heat dissipation, but from chemistry side are same as the ones they use now and the performance available for end user is rather similar to current ones also.

There does also seem to be a downside of the LFP batteries - reports seem to indicate they're more prone to regen limitation warnings (perhaps more sensitive to heat buildup during regen charging?).
I don't have a comparison point to know if I get more or less regen limitation warnings on my LFP equipped Tesla. Some of my observations, though they could be more rigorous, are that; when charged to 100% and going down hill I do not seem to get regen limitation warnings(and I do live on the top of a hill), so they seem to be fine with accepting kW for 'regen' even at 100%; I tend to run scanmytesla most time when I drive with a few key metrics, battery power and mid cell temperature being two of them, when I do notice regen limitation warnings it is the opposite to your guess and it seems to be when the battery temperature is below 20C. I also note that LFPs like to run hot, and I think tesla have actually increased the supercharger temperature of the cells where it now maxes out at 50C and keep it there and I think it used to be lower an cool it to around 45C but don't have enough super charging stats. I also recall reading a research paper whose conclusions were that LFPs like to run hot and their lifetime could be extended by continually running at 60C.

The LFP batteries in practice don't seem to charge faster - the 2019 Fremont SR+ max out at 180kW whereas the LFP RWD are maxing out at 170kW, despite being a slightly larger capacity which all else being equal should charge at a faster rate.
The newer generation LFP batteries, faster charging definitely seems a thing, particularly if they are using CATL M3P. Peak will remain about the same, but the curve will be fatter. It won't be a huge difference, but a noticeable improvement.

The big one seems to be longevity and safety. So it probably won't matter much day to day. 3000 cycles sounds much longer than 800. Not going to be an issue for me in a 3-5 year lease, but resale could get hit if the whole world runs to LFP.. NCA will last the life of the car, with some degradation, LFP will probably outlive you.

My current Model 3 SR+ has nickel based batteries as will my new LR Model be. Looking at the leaked information with the new form factor of the batteries coming, they will still use that same chemistry in the new form factor for the performance and most likely LR versions of the car.
Its all very uncertain. However CATL did make an announcement back in june/july about Supplying Tesla with M3P batteries. The Tesla semi is also only possible using LFP batteries and maybe using M3P. They are talking about lowering the cost of the car, and LFP batteries would certainly be one way to do that. Also there are a number of longer range cars for sale in China (including the BYD Seal) that have ~700km range and LFP battery chemistry. Moving to a new chemistry and a new packaging format is probable, its more of a question of when not if.

I am kinda excited about new stuff. But now tesla opened up some of its supercharger network to all EV's, new cars like the BYD seal are coming to Australia, and rumors about de-contenting the car run riot, lack of delivery reliable date and the very long wait, means I just feel nervous about the future. What seemed like a clear cut choice that the Model3 Long Range would be perfect for me, now feels, more marginal. So many model 3s on the road too, and I can only just squeeze the white in as a FBT free lease as a LR..

I intend to do a fair bit of long range driving, interstate, like I do with my current car. A 380,000 km on my 2008 Falcon. So really wanted to buy as much range capacity as I could. I guess I just wasn't aware of a 6+month wait difference between the RWD and the Long Range.

So many model 3s on the road too, and I can only just squeeze the white in as a FBT free lease as a LR..
My M3 LR midnight silver is under the FBT free novated lease. For me that was perfect as I actually prefer 18in tires and black interior. Looking at the current Model 3 LR prices, you can get any color they have under the FBT free limit, though you may need to compromise on interior color, wheels and ensure any software upgrades get purchased after the delivery.

I am getting a bit exited as my delivery is in 3 days now and have been getting a bunch of reminders and messages from Tesla today to make sure I am ready for the new car.

Reactions: cafz and Stuart2023
My M3 LR midnight silver is under the FBT free novated lease. For me that was perfect as I actually prefer 18in tires and black interior. Looking at the current Model 3 LR prices, you can get any color they have under the FBT free limit, though you may need to compromise on interior color, wheels and ensure any software upgrades get purchased after the delivery.
When I looked at options it put the drive away price up ~$4000 for the $1500 option. So I could choose one option, like white seats or a colour, pay $4000 more for that one option just squeeze in under the FBT threshold.

I think it was the NSW state tax/rego something.
While I would love white seats, or either Blue or Silver, $4k seems a bit much for the option. So boring White car with black interior for me. I will probably chase something after market...

I am getting a bit exited as my delivery is in 3 days now and have been getting a bunch of reminders and messages from Tesla today to make sure I am ready for the new car.
Well the good news is I HAVE A DELIVERY DATE! March 13-29. Amazing. 10 months of waiting and it just appears! I'm Sydney based.

So I guess I am happy now. At least I know what I am expecting to get and I can focused on getting pretty much the longest range EVs and one of the fastest sedans on the market.

Same deal, 3-24 April now.

It was RAV’d on 10 March, which I took as meaning I’d get the call any day now. Er, nope.
GrandeM departed BNE 9/3 while Turandot docked on 12/3.
I’m guessing RAV entry on 10/3 will mean it’s likely your car is on GM?

The revised April dates correspond somewhat with the Mirrat schedule for both vessels so can’t say I’m surprised it got bumped out from the initial March dates.

Reactions: Nefastis