Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah, I might hit Wu Wa up again in a few weeks, he did seem keen to want to spot RHD models last time I spoke with him.
Its really facinating the scale of production at giga-shanghai - pumping out model 3 and model Y in such volumes. You see the videos of the yards full ready for export but that would be nothing compared to the Model Y yards, and shipping; they are really popular too!

Yeah, the manufacturing process they have developed is really amazing, I saw a documentary on the gigafactories a while back. It's amazing that the process hasn't really changed that much since Henry Ford way back and now it's all been turned on it's head.

Yeah, the manufacturing process they have developed is really amazing, I saw a documentary on the gigafactories a while back. It's amazing that the process hasn't really changed that much since Henry Ford way back and now it's all been turned on it's head.
Elon talks about it in his recent interview with Joe Rogan. Fascinating how he says while designing and prototyping is challenging, its nothing in comparison to manufacturing consistently high quality, at scale and economically so people can afford your product once you can get it to market.
So many things going on. And we will get to (eventually) enjoy the fruits of all that work that we will never understand, but put a smile on our face every time we have an excuse to go for a drive :)

Reactions: Jules22
Ok, just got back. Was given a pretty new M3RWD to take for a spin home and back (about 35 mins each way plus faffing around with the charger at home put me over the 1 hour, but they were cool with it.
The SA was so professional, i asked if he could go thru the controls etc again as id need a refresher, he was more than obliging.

Drive home was smooth and quiet. I turned the radio off and enjoyed the quietness. Got home and only a mild panic when the car wouldn't charge, then i remembered i had configured the charger to only allow certain cars, and this wasn't one. Looked for the paperwork, changed the settings on the wall connector and then off it went, 32A. Beauty!

Drove back to the airport via the expressway using autopilot for the first time. Initial thoughts are its pretty good, but it does seem to brake pretty hard if someone pulls in front of you, harder than i normally would anyway. Not a big deal, just an observation. Start/Stop at lights was daunting at first, but it did it seemlessly. Rolling down the southern expressway i gained 3% battery...

Got back about 15 mins late after one of my best ever reverse parking displays.. I was apologizing heaps but they said its ok, they had padded out the bookings.

They went thru my account to make sure everything was good to go, which it is so there shouldn't be any obvious delays.
They are not expecting showroom or demo cars until the actual orders come over at the same time, so being able to test drive a highland before delivery is unlikely if you already have an order in. The demo car was pretty new so i guess its going to be there a little while.
Then again this is Adelaide... There were 2 other families there doing test drives, and some dope looking M3's leaving the showroom having been delivered so it was pretty busy.

They didn't seem to know when the "refreshed" model will arrive other than what is on the webpage, so next year as far as they know. They did indicate this could change either way, but as my car will be leased and all the finance is approved, they were poised to send final invoices and hook up for delivery. They also said there is still time to change configuration of orders and it shouldn't affect timing as they can match it up.

They genuinely were excited about the refreshed model and most of them have the current model.

Ive had my fix and reminder why im waiting, would be nice if there was a fast forward button :)
I am just picturing a Tesla being chased down the southern expressway by cops and choppers (OJ Simpson style) because you refused to return the Tesla and you are filmed screaming madly out the window, "I want my Tesla model 3 Highland model, now!" :)

still undecided on 18 vs 19 wheels - keep thinking the Aero wheels doesn’t look too great on the stealth grey, without that colour contrast. Any thoughts on whether the better aesthetic justify the efficiency loss or potentially more noisy and stiff ride?
I am the last person to comment on what looks good, but i dont mind the 18" wheels and covers. Being "nothing special" goes with the whole stealth look in my books. The wheels underneath look ok too, i have the cap things to pu ton if i get sick of the caps around town. Going 19 seems to affect the economy too?

$2,400.00 to upgrade the wheels, I have a had a look online and you can just buy a new set of wheels in the future for less than that if you need a change.

@dronus is right, I think the 18"s look pretty cool without the aero cover, and might end up getting the caps and doing that. Didn't know they were available yet for the new one though.

$2,400.00 to upgrade the wheels, I have a had a look online and you can just buy a new set of wheels in the future for less than that if you need a change.

@dronus is right, I think the 18"s look pretty cool without the aero cover, and might end up getting the caps and doing that. Didn't know they were available yet for the new one though.
I thought the standard 18s were going to change for highland?

I am the last person to comment on what looks good, but i dont mind the 18" wheels and covers. Being "nothing special" goes with the whole stealth look in my books. The wheels underneath look ok too, i have the cap things to pu ton if i get sick of the caps around town. Going 19 seems to affect the economy too?
I wouldnt be bothered about the range difference, get the rims you like. The question would be how often are you driving your full range and leave yourself 20km short vs enjoying the look and handling? By the time all the RAA charging stations are active in SA you wont be able to travel more than 200km without hitting a charger.

EDIT: So the RWD is about 350km range and apparently you lose 5% if you take the aero covers off on the 18s and 10-15% with the 19s (seems a tad high to me but I cant back it up with any evidence). If its closer to 10% thats 35km loss in range. Maybe keep both sets and use the 19s around town and then switch to the 18s for longer road trips.

$1800 for the 19s on the Model 3
$2400 for the 20s on the Model Y

I wouldnt be bothered about the range difference, get the rims you like. The question would be how often are you driving your full range and leave yourself 20km short vs enjoying the look and handling? By the time all the RAA charging stations are active in SA you wont be able to travel more than 200km without hitting a charger.

EDIT: So the RWD is about 350km range and apparently you lose 5% if you take the aero covers off on the 18s and 10-15% with the 19s (seems a tad high to me but I cant back it up with any evidence). If its closer to 10% thats 35km loss in range. Maybe keep both sets and use the 19s around town and then switch to the 18s for longer road trips.
Can't i just buy the 18" wheels and put the 19" caps on them? Best of both worlds...

Reactions: Cocoboy
A question for those that have their m3, I noticed in my photos above there isn’t a value in the kmh thing, I think I’ve seen on YouTube videos this normally populated with a value. Could it have been that I didn’t have it plugged in long enough to start charging? Or is it for dc charging?

Ah, I haven't seen the "km/h" thing in the app, only in the car when it's charging (and on the DCFC display, if it has one). In the app, the supercharger account part has total cost, location, number of kWh and price/kWh, and a link to the PDF invoice.

Reactions: dronus
still undecided on 18 vs 19 wheels - keep thinking the Aero wheels doesn’t look too great on the stealth grey, without that colour contrast. Any thoughts on whether the better aesthetic justify the efficiency loss or potentially more noisy and stiff ride?
I originally didn't want the 18"s but then saw then in the showroom without covers, where I thought they looked great (also on a grey M3 -- same as what I have now). Also, I thought it would bug me if I got less efficient wheels (actually was a big reason I bought the M3 in the first place -- efficiency better than its competitors). Now that I've driven it for a month or so, including a couple of longer trips, I realised I haven't been thinking about efficiency at all. I just charge when I want to (top up a bit now and then, or before another long leg of the trip), so that original point is kind of moot. However, the look of the aero caps has really grown on me, so I've left them on.

Oh, also I like the extra comfort (or perceived comfort) of the larger sidewalls of the 18"s. In town they're a little jigglier than my old car (a VW with adaptive dampers), but on the highway they're super smooth and just glide along. I've not had 19"s to compare against though.

Reactions: dronus