Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Pondering over the delivery/fulfilment process.. so the people who have VINs have confirmed cars.. so therefore those cars are coming off the ship in those locations. These cars must all be bunched together because they wouldn’t unload the entire ship, get what they need and reload at each port. When loading the ship initially, I’m not sure they would know each cars final destination at that point so maybe they just go vehicles 0 - 999 are these VINs and configs, and destined for Brisbane, cars 1000 - 1999 are destined for Port Kembla and so on.. so it’s really luck of the draw in what order they go on the ship and what variants go where.

I could be wrong, but how else would they make the process the most efficient way possible? Any other thoughts on how they would do it?

#latenightthoughts

Last edited:
Pondering over the delivery/fulfilment process.. so the people who have VINs have confirmed cars.. so therefore those cars are coming off the ship in those locations. These cars must all be bunched together because they wouldn’t unload the entire ship, get what they need and reload at each port. When loading the ship initially, I’m not sure they would know each cars final destination at that point so maybe they just go vehicles 0 - 999 are these VINs and configs, and destined for Brisbane, cars 1000 - 1999 are destined for Port Kembla and so on.. so it’s really luck of the draw in what order they go on the ship and what variants go where.

I could be wrong, but how else would they make the process the most efficient way possible? Any other thoughts on how they would do it?

#latenightthoughts
Im by no way a logistics person and i suck at tetris but i would have thought they would have some idea before and when they load the ship. Even when they build and then move the cars to the shipping yard they seem to do it in some way (going by the videos)
Say, by a certain date these orders are confirmed. Out of those orders this many are for these ports so load them in this order. They might predict so many extra cars for different ports based on what ever intel they have so they pad out the ship with others. These padded cars would be the new orders in that location getting vins quickly as they were heading to that port anyway.
If they did it adhoc they might end up with only say white cars going on first, coming off last where the demand or orders might be a different color.

Again, i actually have no idea but im hoping our cars have been planned for and a tucked jyst a little deeper in the DJ

Last edited:
Looks like the Don isn’t getting a spot in Bris until 3rd Jan
IMG_1582.jpeg

Im by no way a logistics person and i suck at tetris but i would have thought they would have some idea before and when they load the ship. Even when they build and then move the cars to the shipping yard they seem to do it in some way (going by the videos)
Say, by a certain date these orders are confirmed. Out of those orders this many are for these ports so load them in this order. They might predict so many extra cars for different ports based on what ever intel they have so they pad out the ship with others. These padded cars would be the new orders in that location getting vins quickly as they were heading to that port anyway.
If they did it adhoc they might end up with only say white cars going on first, coming off last where the demand or orders might be a different color.

Again, i actually have no idea but im hoping our cars have been planned for and a tucked jyst a little deeper in the DJ

Yeah, getting deep into the speculation weeds now, but I'd have to agree. They must look at orders in order to shape their production lines, I wouldn't be surprised if orders in the system before a certain date are loosely tied to a build as it is produced (but really getting deep into speculation here) and everything is is produced based on averages etc as stock which get converted to orders later on.

For the loading of the ship, I think that would be fairly trivial to solve by just having the cars go to specific lots based on where they will be unloaded. Could be wrong but that's how I'd handle it and seems to be something that could be done very simply without complicating the load/unload process.

BTW Dude where's my VIN?

Yeah, getting deep into the speculation weeds now, but I'd have to agree. They must look at orders in order to shape their production lines, I wouldn't be surprised if orders in the system before a certain date are loosely tied to a build as it is produced (but really getting deep into speculation here) and everything is is produced based on averages etc as stock which get converted to orders later on.

For the loading of the ship, I think that would be fairly trivial to solve by just having the cars go to specific lots based on where they will be unloaded. Could be wrong but that's how I'd handle it and seems to be something that could be done very simply without complicating the load/unload process.

BTW Dude where's my VIN?
Yeah im speculating speculation with a generous dose of supposition, postulation and conjecture haha

Reactions: Jules22
Looking forward to my first Tesla - I won’t be till much later than the rest of you but I went with the 19” Novas. Most of you seem to have gone with the standard 18” - any reasons why? (Other than the price diff)
Howdy, and welcome!

I went with the 18” wheels because i like the look of them, the comfort and it helps with range.
The 19” novas also look awesome and should give you better speed!
Hopefully you get your car soon!

I just spoke to Tesla regarding the rego papers form. He fired off the SMS to me at the same time, I signed the rego application, email was on the SMS.

Also confirmed it's on Don Juan.

I asked about the ordering process, and why people with older orders have not received VINs yet.

It was hard to follow what he said, but here's my interpretation:
  • The factory builds cars
  • Orders are grouped by order date based on each permutation of config
    • SR 18 Black/Black
    • SR 18 Black/White
    • SR 18 White Black
    • LR 18 Black/Black
    • LR 18 Black/White
    • LR 18 White Black
    • and so on
  • The configuration of orders are matched to configuration of cars made available (I don't think they build the cars based on the orders we make)
  • The configuration of orders are prioritised based on order date, then matched in that order when waiting for the matching car to "roll off the line" so to speak.

Now, it's not clear on what happens when you make an adjustment to your configuration, for example:
  • 2023-09-01 You order SR 18 Black/Black
  • 2023-10-01 You are 10th in line to be matched when that config (SR 18 Black/Black) becomes available.
  • 2023-11-01 You change the order int/ext colour, wheels, range etc. Lets day from SR to LR.
  • 2023-11-01 You are 100th in line for LR 18 Black/Black, because 99 other people ordered this config before you.

Last edited: