Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Been driving a 23 M3LR that I've rented in the UK. Took a long drive west from LHR and then driving around highlands (geographically speaking - not the M3 type). It is a beautiful ride - so smooth and launch is amazing. I cant wait to get back home and drive the new M3H when it arrives Feb hopefully. My only complaint is that on sections of the motorway which have small undulations between sections, the great handling stiff suspension causes the head rest to thwack me in the back of the head repeatedly until I adjust seating position. I think the M3H will be a bit kinda to me on such surfaces. Temps here are -4 to +4 degC - still not concerned about range as plenty of charge options about. Unfortunately I've not yet charged at a Tesla super charger but should do so during the next few weeks. Cost per kWh here is outrageous (0.50p to about 0.87p) from what I have seen so far. Glad back home we have solar and can charge for peanuts.
I agree with the ride. I have the P on 20s and for the most part I am on good roads but when you hit some rough ones you do notice it. I haven’t had any issues with my head hitting the headrest. The one thing I have had issues with is curbs, steep driveways etc, having been in an SUV for 10 years I have forgotten I have to take it a bit slower entering and exiting places.

Reactions: dronus
Previously there was only Goulburn superchargers so Sydney trip for Airport and other basic activities was difficult with standard range. Now there are so many charging options it will possibly change
Yeah the southern route Sydney to Adelaide or Melbourne is pretty good. Need to get a better network across the middle and north NSW. I read the other day they are predicting a massive increase in chargers for 2024, I can’t wait.

Booked M3HLR 1st Sep was supposed to pick on 23rd Jan from Alexandria, Syd, but 17th Jan afternoon got the message.

Sadly had a crash last oct and insurance wrote off, thought many times about getting a M3 from stock but resisted the temptation till now and then this.. Anyway all the best to everyone in the queue. Hopefully it will be resolved pretty soon. fingers crossed...

Yeah the southern route Sydney to Adelaide or Melbourne is pretty good. Need to get a better network across the middle and north NSW. I read the other day they are predicting a massive increase in chargers for 2024, I can’t wait.
Bring it on. Looks like Mildura is going ahead but my route planner still gives me the bottom route to sydney

Reactions: Cocoboy
As per this the onboard ac charger maximum capacity 11.5kw which is a simple math at 240v at 48a and PF=1 for single phase supply.

My question is whether this limit holds even if it is 3-phase supply - or will it change to 440 x 48 @PF=1 which is 21kw?

Booked M3HLR 1st Sep was supposed to pick on 23rd Jan from Alexandria, Syd, but 17th Jan afternoon got the message.

Sadly had a crash last oct and insurance wrote off, thought many times about getting a M3 from stock but resisted the temptation till now and then this.. Anyway all the best to everyone in the queue. Hopefully it will be resolved pretty soon. fingers crossed...
Welcome! Yep hopefully this is all sorted out quickly and deliveries fire up again in full swing. The delivery centres are going to busy with lots of m3 and mY cars now in the country.
Hopefully they can extend some express delivery hours and crank thru them.

5 months aniversary since my order, probably going to hit the 6 months haha. Current NL about to expire haha. Down to the line.
My NL was going to transfer the fund today. Just send a mail in the morning about this and said they will hold the funds until a new delivery date is confirmed. Can't they just extend the NL validity date without going through the whole approval and signing process again?

My NL was going to transfer the fund today. Just send a mail in the morning about this and said they will hold the funds until a new delivery date is confirmed. Can't they just extend the NL validity date without going through the whole approval and signing process again?
I think it depends how long its been around. Some financiers only hold the quotes for so long etc. its been ages for me, my nl negotiated with the financier to extend without having to reapply but it wont last forever.

Those who previously owned Teslas or, those who have recently received delivery, what does your internal cabin temp typically sit at? I’ve noticed mine is unusually high (28c) even though external is lower, and car hasn’t been used for hours.

Thinking maybe heat from battery - but odd…

As per this the onboard ac charger maximum capacity 11.5kw which is a simple math at 240v at 48a and PF=1 for single phase supply.

My question is whether this limit holds even if it is 3-phase supply - or will it change to 440 x 48 @PF=1 which is 21kw?
I’m not an electrician, but from what I understand about Aus/NZ wiring rules a single phase power point or a Charge Connector can only operate at maximum of 32 Amps which is 230*32= 7320 Watts or just over 7 Kw depending upon your local voltage. For 3 phase, a 5 pin 32 Amp power point and some wall connectors can support up to 22Kw, 7Kw (32Amps) per phase. The operating voltage of 3 phase is still nominally 230V.
Charging capacity is dependent on the capacity of the smallest component and the charger in Model 3 and Model Y can only charge AC at 11Kw (16A per 3 phase).
Always talk to a qualified electrician before installing the wall connector or power point and he/she will confirm this.

You're looking at the Tesla USA site, where their Model 3s can do up to 48A single phase, and no ability to do three phase.

The Aus equivalent website is https://www.tesla.com/en_AU/support/charging/onboard-charger

In Australia the Model 3 / Model Y charger maxes out at 32A on single phase (7.7kW @ 240V) and 16A on three phase

To work out the power on three phase you either multiply the amps by the L-N voltage (eg 240V) by 3, so 16 x 240 x 3 = 11500W or 11.5kW
or the amps by the L-L voltage (eg 415V) by the square root of 3 so 16 x 415 x 1.73 which also gives 11.5kW

Reactions: divstar and cafz
I’m not an electrician, but from what I understand about Aus/NZ wiring rules a single phase power point or a Charge Connector can only operate at maximum of 32 Amps which is 230*32= 7320 Watts or just over 7 Kw depending upon your local voltage. For 3 phase, a 5 pin 32 Amp power point and some wall connectors can support up to 22Kw, 7Kw (32Amps) per phase. The operating voltage of 3 phase is still nominally 230V.
Charging capacity is dependent on the capacity of the smallest component and the charger in Model 3 and Model Y can only charge AC at 11Kw (16A per 3 phase).
Always talk to a qualified electrician before installing the wall connector or power point and he/she will confirm this.
Yes. You are right. Even though at single phase it can handle 48A it can't handle the same when supplied with 3 phases. So essentially even though that page and the Car itself reports the AC charging capacity in amps the weakest link is the onboard DC buck-boost converter which bucks/boosts the converted DC to charge the battery at max 27A 400v(approx HV battery voltage) which essentially means even with 3phase ac max charge rate is 11kw.

I was trying to get to the bottom of this to better decide between single phase and three phase. But then wiring is easy as if it is 3 phase you just need 4mm2 cabling to get 11kw where as to get the 7.2kw with Single phase you need much thicker cable which is a pain to route especially for apartment in case if owners wish to wire it from their own meters.

3 phase with access controlled chargers like exploren using nfc or cards makes sense for appartments. But only problem is with low basement level parking without LTE or wifi, not sure which vendor supports such cases. Just thinking out loudly.

Reactions: aaron.m
You're looking at the Tesla USA site, where their Model 3s can do up to 48A single phase, and no ability to do three phase.

The Aus equivalent website is https://www.tesla.com/en_AU/support/charging/onboard-charger

In Australia the Model 3 / Model Y charger maxes out at 32A on single phase (7.7kW @ 240V) and 16A on three phase

To work out the power on three phase you either multiply the amps by the L-N voltage (eg 240V) by 3, so 16 x 240 x 3 = 11500W or 11.5kW
or the amps by the L-L voltage (eg 415V) by the square root of 3 so 16 x 415 x 1.73 which also gives 11.5kW
This clears a lot. Not sure why I ended up in the US page. Thanks a lot.. Even then I couldn't find where you got the 3-phase max current limit of 16A.

Yes. You are right. Even though at single phase it can handle 48A it can't handle the same when supplied with 3 phases. So essentially even though that page and the Car itself reports the AC charging capacity in amps the weakest link is the onboard DC buck-boost converter which bucks/boosts the converted DC to charge the battery at max 27A 400v(approx HV battery voltage) which essentially means even with 3phase ac max charge rate is 11kw.
I believe the limit is because there's three separate DC converters, each of which can handle up to 16A AC. The car can either parallel them on a single phase supply or connect one to each phase on a multi-phase supply.

I believe the limit is because there's three separate DC converters, each of which can handle up to 16A AC. The car can either parallel them on a single phase supply or connect one to each phase on a multi-phase supply.
brushing up on the 3-phase full bridge rectifier if you ignore the ActivePFC and filtering stuff then it is just 6 diodes each pair bridging each phase. To that if you add one more pair to bridge the neutral then you have a Rectifier which can handle both single and 3 phase. may be higher amp diodes for Phase 1 and neutral to handle single phase. In 3-phase scenario Neutral is not used as a return channel. So 3 end to end circuits for three phases and parallel the same for single phase is not really a possibility from that angle. Time to watch a video of a teardown where someone really analyze this part:)

3 phase with access controlled chargers like exploren using nfc or cards makes sense for appartments. But only problem is with low basement level parking without LTE or wifi, not sure which vendor supports such cases. Just thinking out loudly.
I'm in the middle of a project for a basement car park EV charger backbone and the billing companies we talk to say it won’t work without some connectivity and we will be installing WiFi.