Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Australian Model Y Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wonder if it changes anything about the vehicle build itself or just production line processes.
I hope not, I'll be pretty annoyed if I miss out on something because I ordered 16 minutes before someone else.

Would rather wait an extra 2 weeks. I don't believe anything would have changed and it was purely a capacity upgrade but we won't know for a month and a bit I guess.

Reactions: erangaj and Blaq
Congrats, we won't know if there are any differences until they arrive, but I kind of doubt it.
When I ordered my Model 3, around the time that I ordered it the German Tesla forums were commenting on how the Australian SR+ builds were stating to receive a 60kWh battery as opposed to the 55kWh batteries they'd been shipping up until that point. That kicked off all sorts of speculation here and Whirlpool about which cars did / didn't, how you could tell that you had the new battery by the invoice, etc - the majority of it was wrong.

Then again before delivery the news started to come out that the Q4 2021 build SR+ would be the last to have the Performance rear motor with the 2022 models getting the slightly less powerful LR rear motor, hence the Unicorn nickname for the Q4 2021 SR+.

Tesla doesn't stop iterating on its cars, usually every quarter there is something different on the build. Usually it's for the best like the 60kWh or the new CPU for 2022 models, sometimes it's a slight step back like the LR Rear Motor for 2022 RWD models. It's the luck of the draw, if you get your Y in the next batch congratulations you've got the Launch model in AU. If you miss out, be patient and comfort yourself with the knowledge that the longer you wait the more likely that you'll be getting a slightly better Model Y.

Reactions: Blaq
Tesla doesn't stop iterating on its cars, usually every quarter there is something different on the build. Usually it's for the best like the 60kWh or the new CPU for 2022 models, sometimes it's a slight step back like the LR Rear Motor for 2022 RWD models. It's the luck of the draw, if you get your Y in the next batch congratulations you've got the Launch model in AU. If you miss out, be patient and comfort yourself with the knowledge that the longer you wait the more likely that you'll be getting a slightly better Model Y.
I can't see them making any changes mid launch tbh. I expect we'll get whatever they are getting in UK and HK.
Mid-life makeovers wouldn't be expected until the car has spent some time on the ground.

I can't see them making any changes mid launch tbh. I expect we'll get whatever they are getting in UK and HK.
Mid-life makeovers wouldn't be expected until the car has spent some time on the ground.
Unless it matches the changes they made to the Berlin and Texas made cars. Minor tweaks to the heat pump mounting layout, parcel shelf and a tweak to the seats from memory.

I agree we'll get whatever they get in the UK or HK. However given AU is early in the quarterly build cycle, we still don't know what the Q3 cars out of Shanghai will bring, and whether there are any changes between the pre and post shutdown builds.

The RHD model Y went on sale in HK 2nd July 2021.

These look very cool but totally impractical and expensive. Can someone please talk me out of it before I do something stupid and buy them.....

Model Y Illuminated Door Sills
Totally agree- they’re cool. If you want to be talked out of it, the downside is that you need to hack at the original sills with a pry tool. So you better be handy if you want to avoid paint work damage. Handy, I am not.

Also, they have an internal battery which, once it runs out, the entire unit must be replaced.

Reactions: Blaq
Totally agree- they’re cool. If you want to be talked out of it, the downside is that you need to hack at the original sills with a pry tool. So you better be handy if you want to avoid paint work damage. Handy, I am not.

Also, they have an internal battery which, once it runs out, the entire unit must be replaced.
So model Y comes non illuminated door sills as standard?

Seem's to have been very little progress in Model Y orders since the factory opened on Friday.

I've got a Blue + White Interior.
Ordered at 11:40am on Friday (when orders opened)
Same as you v.sundarraman

Looking at that spreadsheet from Whirlpool (Australia Model Y Orders):

There were 3 people who ordered Blue + White model Y's at 11:00am that have VIN's assigned, so hopefully we are in the next run of Blue + White Model Y's (assuming that's how Tesla works, and they make different colour/interior combo's in batches?)

Are we expecting more VIN's to get assigned out this week?

Last edited:
Seem's to have been very little movement in Model Y orders since the factory opened on Friday.

I've got a Blue + White Interior.
Ordered at 11:45am on Friday (when orders opened)
Same as you v.sundarraman

Looking at that spreadsheet from Whirlpool (Australia Model Y Orders):

There were 3 people who ordered Blue + White model Y's at 11:00am that have VIN's assigned, so hopefully we are in the next run of Blue + White Model Y's (assuming that's how Tesla works, and they make different colour/interior combo's in batches?)

Are we expecting more VIN's to get assigned out this week?
Orders opened at about 10.14am on launch day so you might be in a later batch. The orders opened a lot earlier than the email was sent and received by Tesla.

The order date and time is not based on email, it was based out of actual order date and time. FYI, i received the order confirmation email the next day.
Who said anything about an order confirmation? Orders opened around 10.14am. Tesla sent their email saying the Model Y is available to purchase at about 11.30am. If you ordered at 11.30am thinking it had just opened you are about about 75min behind.