Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Australian Model Y Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Best bet call the SA and ask if they can do anything from their side.
Tesla said no worries removing FSD now. Should I remove it now to get under the LCT threshold? I can remove it now and buy FSD after delivery. If I go that route, what are the risks if any e.g. the price of FSD might rise b/w now and delivery, cars with FSD might have different hardware. What are your thoughts?

There's no import duty, but if you order FSD with the car you'll pay LCT and stamp duty.
In my case that bumps the price from $10k to around $14k
On the other hand the price of FSD keeps increasing, in the US it costs $12k which is around $17500 here, and with my car likely 6 months away I decided to lock in the price now.
:) ack, peace of mind. I'm leaning that way. Thanks. Still interested in other thoughts. NOTE: Current AU government promises to remove 5% import tariffs on some electric cars (I'm guessing those under the LCT threshold). Also promises to remove FBT. All to go through as soon as parliament sits retrospectively to 1 July 2022.

Tesla said no worries removing FSD now. Should I remove it now to get under the LCT threshold? I can remove it now and buy FSD after delivery. If I go that route, what are the risks if any e.g. the price of FSD might rise b/w now and delivery, cars with FSD might have different hardware. What are your thoughts?
100% you should take it off and put it on after delivery… if you intend on novated leasing it, having a car over the LCT threshold will ruin it for you. LCT (when I was in car sales in 2012) is 33% tax above the LCT threshold….
It will save you quite a bit.

Thanks; ordered 10 June 2022 around about 11am AEST. RWD, midnight silver, 20" induction wheels, black and white interior, plus FSD.
That’s the same spec as mine except I didn’t order FSD. I received a VIN on Sat 16/7 and the build date was 15/7. I ordered at 10:32am so hopefully yours will be coming soon. Expected arrival is 25/8 to 5/9 so 4-6 weeks after build.

:) ack, peace of mind. I'm leaning that way. Thanks. Still interested in other thoughts. NOTE: Current AU government promises to remove 5% import tariffs on some electric cars (I'm guessing those under the LCT threshold). Also promises to remove FBT. All to go through as soon as parliament sits retrospectively to 1 July 2022.

As far as I know there will be no 5% import tariff reduction on our cars because they are already under a free trade agreement with China (0% import tariff)

• Informative
Reactions: Blaq
As far as I know there will be no 5% import tariff reduction on our cars because they are already under a free trade agreement with China (0% import tariff)
thanks EVERYONE :) very helpful information especially regarding the free trade b/w AU, USA, CN. wife and I are feeling much more relaxed now thanks to all of your inputs. We are going to wait until Parliament sits on 25th of July and then make a decision. For now it is only $500 LCT with FSD on the order and having the price locked in is peace of mind. We are going to wait to see if there are any other goodies that come out when Parliament sits and then make a decision. Car not due until 25 August; plenty of time. Logging off now. Wishing you all the very best.

I think FSD at the moment is a pretty hard sell. EAP currently has all the features of FSD if your not in the beta, and Australia currently isn't. It's also locked to the car and not transferable, while I assume alot of us plan to keep our cars awhile, also consider how long it's going to take the government to legislate Level 4 or 5 autonomy.

Very possibly the cost will increase in the future (as pointed out, way more expensive in the US). I just wonder once other automakers start getting into FSD as well, whether it could create a bit more competition and actually lower the price. Obviously all speculation at this point, all I know is $10k seems crazy for what is currently offered.

There's no import duty, but if you order FSD with the car you'll pay LCT and stamp duty.
In my case that bumps the price from $10k to around $14k
On the other hand the price of FSD keeps increasing, in the US it costs $12k which is around $17500 here, and with my car likely 6 months away I decided to lock in the price now.
Same here, added FSD. Feared the current phase of pesky inflation and "let's charge what we can" business practice. I would not even put it past Tesla to assign VINs preferable to vehicles with FSD.

thanks EVERYONE :) very helpful information especially regarding the free trade b/w AU, USA, CN. wife and I are feeling much more relaxed now thanks to all of your inputs. We are going to wait until Parliament sits on 25th of July and then make a decision. For now it is only $500 LCT with FSD on the order and having the price locked in is peace of mind. We are going to wait to see if there are any other goodies that come out when Parliament sits and then make a decision. Car not due until 25 August; plenty of time. Logging off now. Wishing you all the very best.
It's interesting to see the words "piece of mind" and "FSD" in the same sentence. I'd suggest you search this forum to:
  1. Understand what exactly Australia owners who've paid for FSD have received so far.
  2. What is their experience of Australian owners with EAP (FSD with some features removed).
  3. For those of us who have stock standard Autopilot and TACC, how good does it work for them.
For me TACC is the main weak point of the car. It triggers far too many false positives (phantom braking) and is the worst implementation of distance control cruise control of any car that I've driven. The autopilot for me is only useful on freeways with light traffic, I trust my 17 year old L Plater more than the autopilot.

To be clear, I love my 3, and will also be purchasing a Y. However my experience with these Tesla driver support aids is such that I won't be paying extra for more advanced features when the basics remain so flawed.