Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Australian Model Y Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Alright. So, I know there's a lot of people out there waiting on their Model Y RWDs, including me. I'm VINless with an order date in late July 2022 and a delivery window of Feb-May 2023. I have some questions which I'm hoping will help me figure out where I sit relative to others in my situation.

- Have all Nov 22 to Jan 23 deliveries now been completed? Failing this, do we know whether there's anyone out there with this delivery window and still no VIN?
- Other than some outliers, has anyone seen VINs allocated to Feb-May 2023 deliveries yet?
- Similar to the above re outliers , has anyone seen evidence of Feb-May 2023 vehicles actually delivered yet?

I'm thinking about this more in terms of a broad "you are here" in the opaque Tesla queue system. If there are still earlier quarter vehicles not yet allocated a VIN, I then know it's more likely than not that I won't be getting a VIN in the next few days.

Alright. So, I know there's a lot of people out there waiting on their Model Y RWDs, including me. I'm VINless with an order date in late July 2022 and a delivery window of Feb-May 2023. I have some questions which I'm hoping will help me figure out where I sit relative to others in my situation.

- Have all Nov 22 to Jan 23 deliveries now been completed? Failing this, do we know whether there's anyone out there with this delivery window and still no VIN?
- Other than some outliers, has anyone seen VINs allocated to Feb-May 2023 deliveries yet?
- Similar to the above re outliers , has anyone seen evidence of Feb-May 2023 vehicles actually delivered yet?

I'm thinking about this more in terms of a broad "you are here" in the opaque Tesla queue system. If there are still earlier quarter vehicles not yet allocated a VIN, I then know it's more likely than not that I won't be getting a VIN in the next few days.
  1. No idea if any delivery range is done but many in that range have.
  2. A fraction of Feb-Mar have been delivered early. Check the spreadsheet here Australia Model Y Orders but most (I would say above 90%) don't have it yet. Those that do have theirs are pretty much all RWD and the MYP owners-to-be are peeved.

Do we have a rough idea on how many MYP orders are there in AUS?

I just had a very good conversation with my friend, who is also waiting for his MYP, yesterday. We said that had Tesla made performance model first, which we thought it would be the case when we placed our order, more people would jump on the bandwagon. Instead, Tesla is loosing out a bit of money as many have cancelled their RWD and ordered AWD.

Journalism has for a long time become a journalist expressing his personal opinions instead on reporting on facts. On top of that you have to add controversy and sensationalism or it won’t get the clicks.
Calling this guy’s opinion “objective” is ridiculous. You can tell he has an agenda from the get go.
Yes, the tesla haters/vandals was really a bit unnecessary, and the false safety stuff was just not true. Soft ICE bias for his sponsors maybe... His technical comments were interesting but the regen/rear end observations were completely absent from his earlier video, he acknowledged this though.

Can I ask what state and colour combo you got? Quite a long wait eh...

1. No
2. Definitely quite a few in WA got orders from this window last year. You can call WA outliers if you want
3. I'd say Feb to May tranche window are most likely to be starting in January build cars not December built cars so might see some of them get assigned VINs after CNY maybe and delivered ....... whenever they get on a ship and arrive and others will get produced after CNY and so on and delivered in March.April.May. Having said that there is most likely some December built cars that might end up having their pick up scheduled in Feb slot but they were probably in the earlier tranche.

All guess work by me but Feb-May is a big window and they wouldn't have scheduled them for production in December when there was still cars waiting longer.

The way I've handled the ambiguity of the Tesla delivery window is to pick the later date and use that as the estimated delivery for planning. Most people pick the earlier date, and the majority end up disappointed. Even then, expect it to slip which it has for me 2 out of 2 times, if it doesn't then it's a bonus.

Then when I needed more certainty as it moved closer to the delivery date, I signed up for Vedaprime's service.

The way I've handled the ambiguity of the Tesla delivery window is to pick the later date and use that as the estimated delivery for planning. Most people pick the earlier date, and the majority end up disappointed. Even then, expect it to slip which it has for me 2 out of 2 times, if it doesn't then it's a bonus.

Then when I needed more certainty as it moved closer to the delivery date, I signed up for Vedaprime's service.

This is awesome advice. Write off the first month of the delivery tranche for sure - might get a VIN but not delivery and definitely not pick up :)

Hi all - just throwing my experience into the ring for what it's worth.

Ordered 21-10-22 (Model Y RWD White exterior + black interior). Given a March - May expected delivery date at the time.

I received the "prepare for your delivery" email / text 07-01-23.
Received the "a Model Y has been assigned to your order" email / text on 10-01-23.
I got the "your delivery is approaching" email / text 16-01-23.
Final invoice issued 21-01-23 (although that may have been more to do with my financing issues).

Current delivery estimate is Jan 28 - Feb 18. I can see using RoRo that the ship is due in Perth around 31-01-23.

Ordered 21-10-22 (Model Y RWD White exterior + black interior). Given a March - May expected delivery date at the time.

Received the "a Model Y has been assigned to your order" email / text on 10-01-23.
Final invoice issued 21-01-23 (although that may have been more to do with my financing issues).

Current delivery estimate is Jan 28 - Feb 18. I can see using RoRo that the ship is due in Perth around 31-01-23.
Do you know your build date?

This might give you a little idea about Sydney, NSW queue.
Order Date - 14/06/2022
Initial EDD - Feb 2023 - May 2023
EDD Before choosing express delivery date - January 23 - February 13
Express delivery date - 16 Feb 2023
Model Y - pearl white, black interior, 19inch wheels
Location - Sydney

Reactions: krylonos

Don't go selling your car just yet if the ship isn't due until the end of the month. Will take 1-2 weeks for actual pick up so aim for the 18th and be delighted if it's early :)

• Helpful
Reactions: Maximillan
Don't go selling your car just yet if the ship isn't due until the end of the month. Will take 1-2 weeks for actual pick up so aim for the 18th and be delighted if it's early :)
Good advice actually - I wasn't sure how long it would take from ship docking until ready to collect. Apparently there were hundreds of Teslas down at Freo dock earlier in the month so there might even be a backlog.

My car works fine so I'm not in a huge rush other than having a new toy! The Tesla is a business purchase to replace a private vehicle so I'm not doing a trade in (although I will need to relatively quickly sell my old car with limited parking space at home).