Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Australian Model Y Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So today was the day that I'm officially no longer a member of the Model Y Waiting Room.

Picked up this morning at Port Melbourne and over the moon with the car. My wait wasn't so long at 6 months as I know there are people who've waited longer, but very happy all the same.

Really efficient service with a few others picking up at the same time, it's all done pretty quickly. Quick show through the settings and stuff and they leave you to it but within reach if you want to ask them any questions. 40 cars being picked up today the Tesla rep said.

No UMC as expected given I ordered in November, build quality was excellent - slightly bigger panel gap on the right boot at the top, but having looked at loads to compare, they were all different. I'm not too fussed about it at all. Car was sitting at 92% which was a nice touch after reports of them being much lower.

There are loads of Teslas sitting there at this delivery centre - took some videos in addition to those 3 photos attached. The first photo is the bottom storage where they come fresh off the transporters. Each row is 15-20 cars, then in one of the long videos there is a walkthrough of another storage facility that has heaps. No doubt there are cars here for some of you waitingt so it won't be long! 2nd picture is the delivery floor, with cars all waiting and ready to go for customers. 3rd is obviously mine!

Tesla Share - Link to all the photos/videos I took of the day.

One last thing - a friend of mine has a M3 on order that he had pickup booked for tomorrow, but has been pushed back till Monday as his car hasn't made it down from Sydney. I hope that hasn't affected anyone else on here.

If anyone has any Q's - feel free to ask away. I'll still be lurking so happy to help. I feel it could be useful to have a stickied or pinned post with all the info that people can access to track their cars/shipments as a lot of info is repeated time and time again on here. Conscious that VedaPrime obviously have their service but a lot of the info is out there and free for everyone to access. Happy to help with that if any Mods are active in here.
Brilliant -- thanks for sharing. I'm hoping to be there soon in Port Melbourne (9 months of waiting has me itching all over).

Last edited:
Believe lots of MY owners in this waiting room like me who ordered in July 2022 and waited for nearly a year.
I just received delivery text and scheduled for next week. This is the good news for all of us, especially for those who based in Victoria, has build date in Mar and RAV entry date in Apr. It seems our long waiting is over.

OD: July, 2022
BD: Mar, 2023
RAV: Apr, 2023
EDD: 18/4 - 9/5 changed to 7/5 - 28/5 then 21/5 - 11/6

Hope you received the text very soon.
Ordered MY in June last year. Collected 3 weeks ago. Understand your long wait as been through - however all disappears on delivery day. The wait is worth it.

Amazing -- great to see. I'm in a similar boat, but still waiting. Do you know if yours was on the Morning Cherry that came into Port Kembla on the 1st of May? (that's where mine is still supposedly sitting).
According the build date and RAV entry date 14/4, and the approaching delivery message received on 2/5. Mostly like the car was on Morning Cheery, I guess.
Hope it helps.

Hi all,

Quick question: my tesla model Y is scheduled for pick up tomorrow from Alexandria Sydney Store:

My novated lease company only made payment at mid-day today (super late....I'm pretty annoyed at them) and provided me with a remittance slip which I provided to Tesla. I just spoke to the SA and funds are still yet to clear to Tesla's account.....so technically I can't pick up my vehicle yet.....

Tesla are going to call me in the morning to tell me if funds have gone through, but I'm just wondering has anyone else been in this situation? is the remittance note enough normally to collect the vehicle? Or do funds with austra clear go through in the evening? The SA didn't seem to know.

The time frame is super tight and I'm travelling 200kms to Sydney to pick up this car....I don't want to rock up and find out that I'm not allowed to pick it up....

Any last minute advice would be greatly appreciated.

I ordered a standard RWD back in November, to pick up in sydney. I'm certain my vehicle was on the Viking Sea in Port Kembla

Thanks!
I think the funds should clear in a few hours, maybe depends on the Bank, I transferred the payment from ANZ and within 3 hours I got a text from Tesla that they had received the final payment! Fingers crossed mate!

So today was the day that I'm officially no longer a member of the Model Y Waiting Room.

Picked up this morning at Port Melbourne and over the moon with the car. My wait wasn't so long at 6 months as I know there are people who've waited longer, but very happy all the same.

Really efficient service with a few others picking up at the same time, it's all done pretty quickly. Quick show through the settings and stuff and they leave you to it but within reach if you want to ask them any questions. 40 cars being picked up today the Tesla rep said.

No UMC as expected given I ordered in November, build quality was excellent - slightly bigger panel gap on the right boot at the top, but having looked at loads to compare, they were all different. I'm not too fussed about it at all. Car was sitting at 92% which was a nice touch after reports of them being much lower.

There are loads of Teslas sitting there at this delivery centre - took some videos in addition to those 3 photos attached. The first photo is the bottom storage where they come fresh off the transporters. Each row is 15-20 cars, then in one of the long videos there is a walkthrough of another storage facility that has heaps. No doubt there are cars here for some of you waitingt so it won't be long! 2nd picture is the delivery floor, with cars all waiting and ready to go for customers. 3rd is obviously mine!

Tesla Share - Link to all the photos/videos I took of the day.

One last thing - a friend of mine has a M3 on order that he had pickup booked for tomorrow, but has been pushed back till Monday as his car hasn't made it down from Sydney. I hope that hasn't affected anyone else on here.

If anyone has any Q's - feel free to ask away. I'll still be lurking so happy to help. I feel it could be useful to have a stickied or pinned post with all the info that people can access to track their cars/shipments as a lot of info is repeated time and time again on here. Conscious that VedaPrime obviously have their service but a lot of the info is out there and free for everyone to access. Happy to help with that if any Mods are active in here.
Congrats!

How did you find the ride quality compared to when you test drove it?

Out of interest --> anyone else here with their car still stuck at Port Kembla (from the Morning Cherry that was fully unloaded and departed on the 4th of May back to Shanghai) with delivery to Port Melbourne?

Seems like some of us are kind of first in, last out
Mine is on the Sunlight Ace, I ordered mid 2022, early march build. It is now drifting near Kembla (arrived just now), I was excited thinking I might get my long awaited car finally, after reading this post I feel FUBAR.

Congrats!

How did you find the ride quality compared to when you test drove it?
I actually didn't do a test drive funnily enough. Wanted to save the mystique for when it arrived. Have driven many, many cars, though as I used to run car rental branches for many years and have found the ride quality pretty good so far, not hard at all.

Last edited:
Reactions: deinau
Mine is on the Sunlight Ace, I ordered mid 2022, early march build. It is now drifting near Kembla (arrived just now), I was excited thinking I might get my long awaited car finally, after reading this post I feel FUBAR.
That is awful, Dennis_zg. Are you getting the same "We are working hard to bring you your car very soon" responses with no real information from Tesla? Are they doing anything to make amends for the absurdly long wait while they deliver cars to people who ordered much later than you? Sorry you have been this unlucky. I hope they come through for you quickly somehow.

Port Kembla website now lists Grand Eagle arriving on Sunday 28th, down from Tuesday 30th. For those with MYLRs and others coming to Sydney.
Port Kembla schedule is like a kid playing with lego blocks. They have ships leaving before they arrive and ships docking simultaneously at the same birth Lol.

Someone posted this on whirlpool which seems more realistic and reliable.

That is awful, Dennis_zg. Are you getting the same "We are working hard to bring you your car very soon" responses with no real information from Tesla? Are they doing anything to make amends for the absurdly long wait while they deliver cars to people who ordered much later than you? Sorry you have been this unlucky. I hope they come through for you quickly somehow.
I think this has been posted earlier but a few points

a) Most of the issues people are facing are completely outside Tesla's control. Shipping delays, quarantine problems with car batches etc and then a fight for trucks once cars are unloaded - these are all third party problems that no-one is immune to.

b) The level of sophistication of people buying Tesla's seems to far outstrip other brands. This means you're acquiring more information about your delivery than your equivalent Toyota or Honda buyer. Tesla has not matched that level of sophistication in its comms to you as a buyer.

c) I don't doubt they are working as hard as possible. They wouldn't be sitting on their hands. There's multiple reports out there of Tesla chartering their own ships to avoid the quarantine problems that others have faced and getting cars onto whatever ship it can to fulfil orders. My own car on Palmela took the most circuitous route to get to me (west to east) and suffered from major port delays in Brisbane at the end. That said, if it hadn't been for these delays, I would have probably gotten the car in April, smack dab in the period that the Tesla SAs told me to prepare myself mentally for.

Do we want more transparency from Tesla? Absolutely. Will that transparency actually result in anything more tangible than a better pre-purchase experience? Unless you own a vehicles carrier and have ready made stevedore and quarantine crews at a hitherto unknown port, I highly doubt it.

I chafe a bit at the fact that I've had to wait since July last year for my vehicle. Those that ordered in October-March are in some cases getting vehicles not long after I get mine (and some potentially before in the case of WA) but we've stopped talking about this because the big initial order block is now done and the backlog is moving relatively quickly. I can even see some people that ordered after me getting dates earlier than mine at a different delivery centre but again, there's multiple factors at play and I haven't seen any widespread evidence of people getting ahead of me without reference to one of the factors above plus the occasional cancellation.

It also bears repeating that Vedaprime offer a level of transparency which could bridge most of the gap here if you really want it once you get a VIN. I decided it wasn't for me but if you want a good compromise, it would seem to me to be the best option.

My partner and I are certain that the SA said that the UMC would be included in all orders made this current quarter. Everything else I've seen contradicts this. Any definitive answer?
From what I know, if it was ordered by July 2022 then yes, otherwise no. My mate ordered his in Sep 22 and he didn’t get it, I ordered mine in Jan 23 and it didn’t come with one. Also, the SA advised that the UMC was never free, it was another item on the invoice which you had to pay for, most people were opting for the wall connector so it gives people the option to choose what suits their needs best. My daily commute is about 50km a day at max so I’m happy with the 15amp tail of UMC.

Reactions: noobz
the SA advised that the UMC was never free, it was another item on the invoice which you had to pay for
Your SA is misinformed.
It was never on the invoice, and the price of the car did not change between 7 Jul 2022 (when the UMC was included) and 8 Jul 2022 (when it was not)

And the goalposts kept changing where they included it for all cars delivered in Jan-Mar 2023, plus all cars built before 27 Feb 2023.

And I had to argue with the delivery staff to get mine, as my 10 June 2022 ordered, Jan 2023 built car should have had a UMC but there wasn't one in the boot.