Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Australian Model Y Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well, think about it. What car can you get before EOFY if not the vehicle you ordered.
And is the EOFY cutoff related to the ATO incentives? If so, I don't think it's a massive financial difference if you got it after 1 Jul
Yeh it is related to ATO

ill need to speak to my accountant. Just annoying when u think uve ordered early and u have nothing to worry abt.

Reactions: JonDarian
o speak to my accountant
It's not a lot of difference getting one after 1 July . I've done some sums and posted in these forums. Remember the depreciation limit goes up by $3600 on 1 Jul

My post in #9231 has slightly incorrect calculation

EOFY will be $4500 better off (over 4 years) than getting a car delivered after 1 Jul

EOFY gives $25k in hand to offset loans
That's $1500 pa . Over 4 years = $6000

After EOFY the depreciation limit goes up by $3637. ($71745 = GST 6552+ 65193)
$65193 divide by 4 years of depreciation = $16298 per year.
At 30% Paygi = 0.3 x 16298 =adding $4889 into the bank account each year offsetting other loans
4889 * 6% interest offset = $293 first year, $586 second year, $879 3rd year and $1172 4th year = total offset is $2930

So net benefit comparing FY2023 and FY2024 is approx 6000-2930 = $3070 (over 4 years). Add $400 if cancelling and recording in FY2024

So not a biggie

Last edited:
Reactions: shadab
Hi all, for those of you in Brisbane waiting on cars from Grand Eagle by 1st July, I just received a Text from Tesla Brisbane telling me they aim to have our MYLR delivered before EOFY. I'm not fussed so I've asked them to deliver others that are critical tax wise and delay ours till after 1st July.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: MYLRSC
Ordered MYRWD Blue on 20 April 2023 in Canberra. VIN assigned 9 May. Delivery schedule text received last night, no appointments available when I tried to schedule an hour or so after receiving text. Slots became available this morning and have booked for Sat 24th June pickup at Hume in ACT.

I think I've been very fortunate given the long wait some here are experiencing. However, this is all very timely as my current car was rear ended and written off last weekend!
Timely indeed. I hope it was only the car that was injured.

I have just closed a deal on an iX3 to take delivery before the EOFY.

So, I will soon cancel both my Tesla orders.

I suspect I might still get delivery msg for the White LR in the next day or two. But too little too late I guess.
Sorry to see you go, but great that you were able to secure an alternative. Tesla over-promising has really caused trouble for a lot of people.

Reactions: LWR15K
Ordered MYRWD Blue on 20 April 2023 in Canberra. VIN assigned 9 May. Delivery schedule text received last night, no appointments available when I tried to schedule an hour or so after receiving text. Slots became available this morning and have booked for Sat 24th June pickup at Hume in ACT.

I think I've been very fortunate given the long wait some here are experiencing. However, this is all very timely as my current car was rear ended and written off last weekend!
Interesting. My original order was early August 2022 and switched to LR about an week after they launched in April. No love yet for a delivery text. Hopefully soon. Doesn’t seem like original order date means much, looks to be fairly random IMO.

• Informative
Reactions: JonDarian
yeh tax incentives are different for different folks. I personally already know of 2 camps, the hard EOFY guys are probably doing an instant asset writeoff this FY whilst the "1jul doesn't really matter" guys are probably doing NL... then there are the ballers paying cash going "what tax?"

The delays are completely out of Tesla's control, they've done everything right. SH is pumping out cars faster than every other EV maker combined, if u track the ships you'll notice the carriers gets back to Shanghai and it's something ridiculous like an 11 hour turnaround before they're fully loaded and heads back down south again. All the delays are our own ports... on averge BNE and PK were between 11 to 17 days anchor time, and at least a month ago, MEL was immediate unload. But bcos MEL is free, Grand Eagle and a few other ships diverted to MEL to unload first before unloading back at PK and BNE, now ALL 3 eastern seaboard ports are competely backlogged. My SA tells me each port has over 10,000 cars sitting on the ground and customs/Q can only get thru a certain number each day. The delays aren't T, it's our ports. They're just as frustrated as we are.

• Informative
Reactions: satred
The delays are completely out of Tesla's control, they've done everything right. SH is pumping out cars faster than every other EV maker combined, ....

I understand what you are saying, and you are right that port congestion is not Tesla's fault. There are also many examples of Tesla over-promising and giving terrible communication. That is 100% Tesla's fault, and understandably taints customers view of them. I know the people around me who have watched the progress of my order are less likely to buy a Tesla as a result.

The days of Tesla being the only option available are rapidly coming to an end, and how they treat their customers is going to start mattering a lot more. I can only hope the post-delivery experience is better that the pre-delivery experience.

Reactions: MYLRSC and LWR15K
It's not a lot of difference getting one after 1 July . I've done some sums and posted in these forums. Remember the depreciation limit goes up by $3600 on 1 Jul

My post in #9231 has slightly incorrect calculation

EOFY will be $4500 better off (over 4 years) than getting a car delivered after 1 Jul

EOFY gives $25k in hand to offset loans
That's $1500 pa . Over 4 years = $6000

After EOFY the depreciation limit goes up by $3637. ($71745 = GST 6552+ 65193)
$65193 divide by 4 years of depreciation = $16298 per year.
At 30% Paygi = 0.3 x 16298 =adding $4889 into the bank account each year offsetting other loans
4889 * 6% interest offset = $293 first year, $586 second year, $879 3rd year and $1172 4th year = total offset is $2930

So net benefit comparing FY2023 and FY2024 is approx 6000-2930 = $3070 (over 4 years). Add $400 if cancelling and recording in FY2024

So not a biggie
Thanks for the a analysis.
Few questions here.

1. Can you depreciate company car over 4 years? My understanding is that car has lifespan of 8 years according to ATO

2. Can you use company income to offset mortgage? I assume that's what the above calc assumes?
One time an accountant says you can get the money out from company to personal and treat it as a loan, and as long as you return the loan amount before eofy, it's all good.
However, another accountant says it may be risky as ATO may see it as fbt payable or something.

Not sure which one is correct...

That is if the car is a taxi...everyone else is 12.5% a year, so it means you depreciate over 8 years.

But the point is, if at any point you sell a new car before the 8 years are up, it is treated as income! so you dont win anything by the instant tax write off except

1. you are winding up abn
2. you need money now..against a loan
3. you want to depreciate other cars in future years..I think it looks better doing 1 at a time
4. you are changing circumstances and wont be able to say the car is a business asset in future years