Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Australian Model Y Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Different businesses adopt varied approaches to managing their inventory and shipping processes. If you place an order for a BYD car, it's typically delivered within a week. In contrast, Tesla struggles to match this efficiency due to its minimal inventory, likely a cost saving measure. Tesla should learn from BYD's practices. BYD has been trailing just behind Tesla in sales and may soon surpass Tesla in the Australian market.
Hope not... Tesla can't produce enough cars for its high demand. Don't you believe that maybe the cause for low inventory.

Reactions: dronus and Jules22
Friends, I got my MYLR on Friday after ordering on 24 July, and I had to come back and say 2 things -
1. Huge thanks to all the ppl who shared the journey and helped me through the wait! The wait sucks and you helped make it bearable. &
2. For those of you still waiting, it's 1000% worth it!!!! It's a f#$@ing awesome car. A dozen times I looked at inventory and thought I might as well cancel and just get anything. STAY STRONG! It's so worth the wait and you'll never look back. 👌
Good luck homies. I wish you all a speedy journey.

Different businesses adopt varied approaches to managing their inventory and shipping processes. If you place an order for a BYD car, it's typically delivered within a week. In contrast, Tesla struggles to match this efficiency due to its minimal inventory, likely a cost saving measure. Tesla should learn from BYD's practices. BYD has been trailing just behind Tesla in sales and may soon surpass Tesla in the Australian market.
BYD will surpass Tesla in Australia merely by offering the lowest prices. Aussies like cheap cars, Koreans did it with ICE and Chinese will do it with BEV.

BYD will surpass Tesla in Australia merely by offering the lowest prices. Aussies like cheap cars, Koreans did it with ICE and Chinese will do it with BEV.
BYD has the worst cars ever, I sat in one and the interior was so bad, seats were super uncomfortable and the passenger experience just isn’t good, no way BYD is surpassing Tesla in the long run

BYD has the worst cars ever, I sat in one and the interior was so bad, seats were super uncomfortable and the passenger experience just isn’t good, no way BYD is surpassing Tesla in the long run
my observation is that people are starting to become used to instant gratitude of having roughly what they want, when they want it at the cheapest short term cost to them. It’s becoming trained into people in a hyper stimulated world to consume now, make excuses later and everything is still disposable.
Whether it be furniture (ikea vs getting a carpenter to make a table like our grand folks used to have and pass down), creativity (writing a story vs using AI) or buying a car a defining weight on people’s decision making can be “when can I get it?”.
There are some really interesting studies into dopamine in relation to the length of time dopamine is released while waiting before it cognitively changes to a type of grief in that the future time is out of reach.
If the novelty of buying an EV is strong in this present moment, or a NL is about to expire then people can steer towards (no pun intended) buying what’s available now.
It’s much easier to do for some than be organised and research what’s better and order it in advance.
If BYD continue to flood the market and Tesla continue to have long waits (it’s not always a long wait if you get something in inventory) then BYD market share will likely increase.
Then it could go either way. If the product is inferior, people will switch back to ice citing the all or nothing thinking or they will do well.
Interesting times ahead!

Sorry, but I don't think you could be further from reality.

BYD is going to do well, no doubt, but they will always remain a very distant second. They are well behind in Tech and if they do become popular they will never be able to scale up production anywhere near like Tesla have and can continue to do.

Tesla have a supply issue at the moment because the demand is so high and they are going through all the retooling to updated vehicles. For the past year prior to the highland release you've been able to get a Tesla delivered within 2-3 weeks and I've seen many get them in days. If BYD start getting more popular, their delivery times will start blowing out.

The other massive advantage Tesla have over other vehicles is the repeat buyer, no other brand is anywhere close to the number of people replacing Tesla's with another one and/or adding a 2nd to their family.

As the Tesla value proposition and charging infrastructure continues to outpace everything around it, you'll find that even those who may buy a BYD for their first EV due to it being cheaper, I suspect many will be looking to Tesla soon after.

BYD is going to do well, no doubt, but they will always remain a very distant second. They are well behind in Tech and if they do become popular they will never be able to scale up production anywhere near like Tesla have and can continue to do.

Tesla have a supply issue at the moment because the demand is so high and they are going through all the retooling to updated vehicles. For the past year prior to the highland release you've been able to get a Tesla delivered within 2-3 weeks and I've seen many get them in days. If BYD start getting more popular, their delivery times will start blowing out.

The other massive advantage Tesla have over other vehicles is the repeat buyer, no other brand is anywhere close to the number of people replacing Tesla's with another one and/or adding a 2nd to their family.

As the Tesla value proposition and charging infrastructure continues to outpace everything around it, you'll find that even those who may buy a BYD for their first EV due to it being cheaper, I suspect many will be looking to Tesla soon after.
BYD sold over 431,000 EVs globally, just several thousand behind Tesla's 435,000. They would surpass Tesla in terms of total sales next year, considering Tesla's sales in China kinda collapsed in recent months.

Personally, I wouldn't buy BYD yet in Australia. But I don't think they will remain a very distant second in Australia for a long time. I feel it is going to end up like Andriod vs iPhone, It is a win for customers anyway.

Reactions: phaz and dronus
I'm in Sydney and order the Long Range on the night of 31st October as I heard the referral discount was being decrease.
I got my car assigned the next day saying it was on the Salvia Ace which docked at Port Kembla 11th November and I'm scheduling pickup in Alexandia later this week/early next. Apparently Chatswood has no space which was my requested delivery centre.
I had been lurking on this forum for a while so I expected a wait and ended up having to scramble to organise stuff.
Ordered my MY RWD at the same day with the same boat. It arrived MEL last week and I'm still waiting the SMS to let me scheduling pickup.

Reactions: David Sowden
BYD sold over 431,000 EVs globally, just several thousand behind Tesla's 435,000. They would surpass Tesla in terms of total sales next year, considering Tesla's sales in China kinda collapsed in recent months.

Personally, I wouldn't buy BYD yet in Australia. But I don't think they will remain a very distant second in Australia for a long time. I feel it is going to end up like Andriod vs iPhone, It is a win for customers anyway.
You are comparing Q3 where Tesla's factories were shut down for a good portion for retooling, also sold to whom? Tesla are only selling to customers directly, so the 'sale' only takes place when the car is delivered to the customer, whereas every BYD vehicle sitting in a dealership lot is counted as a 'sale'.

And I definitely can agree competition is good, I think as I said earlier, BYD will do well, but I certainly believe they will remain second to Tesla.

For a more accurate comparison, using vehicle registrations as the metric, Tesla were 888,879 for the first half of 2023, BYD were 615,064 a 30% lead for Tesla is a substantial lead.

Also the pricing differential isn't THAT much (comparing like for like as much as you can with BYD), especially when Tesla introduce the new "Model 2"

Reactions: vector_X and dronus

Ha exactly the comparison I was going to make.
Leading up to, and about a week either side of the release of the latest iPhone or android device is hard to order one. This used to be because that the demand was high and supply limited but was driven by really good market manipulation. Remember how people used to camp out side stores overnight to get one? Haha do they do that anymore, or do you just go to any other store and buy one? The inconvenience of obtaining the item outweighs the convenience of having the item and people go either way.
And that’s where the scourge of influencers were born…. Arrhgghggggghhhh.
Sales of things decline when a new model is announced and hasn’t come out, that’s normal as a percentage of the people will wait for the new one.
Has BYD brought out a new atto3? I dunno, I never hear from them which is probably my fault as I don’t look haha.
I was reading an article the other day about why Tesla have increased the prices by small amounts, the announcing of an increase in price stimulates sales now; which is important during model transitions,

Buy it now before the price goes up… that old chestnut!
Remember how car salesmen would try that to get you to sign haha. Ohh dear.. haha

Time will tell. I do feel for all you guys waiting for your MYs, hopefully you get them delivered soon and in the future you can look back and it’s not as painful 🙏

You are comparing Q3 where Tesla's factories were shut down for a good portion for retooling, also sold to whom? Tesla are only selling to customers directly, so the 'sale' only takes place when the car is delivered to the customer, whereas every BYD vehicle sitting in a dealership lot is counted as a 'sale'.

And I definitely can agree competition is good, I think as I said earlier, BYD will do well, but I certainly believe they will remain second to Tesla.
Ah, that clears up why Tesla's sales in China weren't great in Q3. I was thinking it was all about the economic troubles there, with people maybe leaning toward cheaper EVs.

I reckon Tesla's pretty much in its own league, especially here in Australia. I also can't really see BYD or any other car makers catching up to them anytime soon. That'd probably only happen if Tesla dropped the ball big time, or if Silicon companies like Apple or Google decide to jump into the EV game for real.

Friends, I got my MYLR on Friday after ordering on 24 July, and I had to come back and say 2 things -
1. Huge thanks to all the ppl who shared the journey and helped me through the wait! The wait sucks and you helped make it bearable. &
2. For those of you still waiting, it's 1000% worth it!!!! It's a f#$@ing awesome car. A dozen times I looked at inventory and thought I might as well cancel and just get anything. STAY STRONG! It's so worth the wait and you'll never look back. 👌
Good luck homies. I wish you all a speedy journey.
I want my toy...

Reactions: dronus
Ha exactly the comparison I was going to make.
Leading up to, and about a week either side of the release of the latest iPhone or android device is hard to order one. This used to be because that the demand was high and supply limited but was driven by really good market manipulation. Remember how people used to camp out side stores overnight to get one? Haha do they do that anymore, or do you just go to any other store and buy one? The inconvenience of obtaining the item outweighs the convenience of having the item and people go either way.
And that’s where the scourge of influencers were born…. Arrhgghggggghhhh.
Sales of things decline when a new model is announced and hasn’t come out, that’s normal as a percentage of the people will wait for the new one.
Has BYD brought out a new atto3? I dunno, I never hear from them which is probably my fault as I don’t look haha.
I was reading an article the other day about why Tesla have increased the prices by small amounts, the announcing of an increase in price stimulates sales now; which is important during model transitions,

Buy it now before the price goes up… that old chestnut!
Remember how car salesmen would try that to get you to sign haha. Ohh dear.. haha

Time will tell. I do feel for all you guys waiting for your MYs, hopefully you get them delivered soon and in the future you can look back and it’s not as painful 🙏
Camp outside stores overnight for iPhone. I remember that *sugar* happened in the early days, but who the hell would do that for Android??? hahaha

I believe the current price for the MY is pretty decent, although that's not the primary reason why I ordered it. I guess I'm just an old boy who wants an expensive toy for Christmas this year! :D (I was under the impression that Tesla's existing inventory meant they had cars just sitting around somewhere in NSW) I placed my order just 10 days ago, so I might be lucky (or maybe unlucky?) to get someone else's canceled order due to the GC situation. But anyway, I definitely feel for all the guys who ordered many weeks/months ago. I'd be super pissed if I were in their shoes.

With the Glovis Caravel delays, I’m getting very close to the 1500km threshold on tradein kilometres post receiving the offer.
I’ll ask Tesla tomorrow, but has anyone gone over the 1500km and had the tradein value reassessed, or has it been ok?
Thanks.

BTW since we are taking Australian sales, I just saw some numbers for this year to date in Australia.

Tesla is close to 40k BYD is just over 9k.

That's with a large number of M3 buyers waiting for the refresh, delays across the board during Q3 due to the factories retooling and interest rates soaring (driving customers to cheaper options)

Q4 will be a much stronger quarter for Tesla, particularly if the new M3 deliveries start here. And interest rates have reached their peak and will likely start reducing in the next 12 months.

BYD have an advantage in China but everywhere else in the world it's not close.

Reactions: dronus and vector_X
With the Glovis Caravel delays, I’m getting very close to the 1500km threshold on tradein kilometres post receiving the offer.
I’ll ask Tesla tomorrow, but has anyone gone over the 1500km and had the tradein value reassessed, or has it been ok?
Thanks.
I’ve already sold my car, is majorly inconvenient having to plan my life around family members vehicle availability.

I have a growing family who are nearing the age to drive, so rather than to trade-in my X3 30d, I decided to purchase MY now to take advantage of the NSW EV incentives. I am still in love with my Elgrand E51 VQ35 which is a fuel guzzler but she is a lounge on wheels. In the near future one of the ICEs will need to go and very most likely it'll be replaced with the all new MY. Regardless how (Burn Your Dreams) may change, it'll never outperform the Tesla's network/software/engineering/infrastructures. Many can doubt me for eternity but it'll be true at least in our lifetime. See youtube below, it's a road trip comparison between M3 and MG in the UK, but you'll get the idea.