Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Auto Insurance for Model 3 in Canada

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not in TD's system as of yesterday evening. They use the model S as a proxy, which in the end resulted in a reasonable rate (was quoted <$1000) -so i a. Hoping the M3 is an even better rate. I am going to wait until I have my delivery date before pressing them harder. They need the delivery date in order to set the insurance start date. So I am being patient...
That's exactly what they did for me. Effective the delivery date and the paperwork came through right away. The correct VIN is on the slip, but it's labeled as a Model S 75D. The rep assured me that my coverage will be valid.

That's exactly what they did for me. Effective the delivery date and the paperwork came through right away. The correct VIN is on the slip, but it's labeled as a Model S 75D. The rep assured me that my coverage will be valid.
Uggghhh....so I am realizing that when setting up my delivery profile, I just scanned my current insurance slip and entered my current insurance info. Now I am second guessing whether i should remove this and leaving it as pending, or if I should just leavile it and wait for my DA to call....

Uggghhh....so I am realizing that when setting up my delivery profile, I just scanned my current insurance slip and entered my current insurance info. Now I am second guessing whether i should remove this and leaving it as pending, or if I should just leavile it and wait for my DA to call....
You did it correctly. When delivery comes, you provide an updated proof of insurance.

I did it that way, put my existing Pink Slip. I didn't want to delay anything by having an incomplete profile. Think of it as a placeholder that allows you to "Check all the boxes"

You can't give them your new insurance information until you actually have a set in stone delivery date anyways (unless you want to start paying for a car that you dont have). So I wouldn't worry.

You did it correctly. When delivery comes, you provide an updated proof of insurance.

I did it that way, put my existing Pink Slip. I didn't want to delay anything by having an incomplete profile. Think of it as a placeholder that allows you to "Check all the boxes"
Thanks! This is great to hear. Now I can go back to endlessly watching at my phone without blinking while yelling "Ring dammit! Ring!!!!!"

Exactly. My DA just said we want to make sure you have insurance when you take it off the lot. All you have to do is bring updated Insurance documents when you come and get the car.

I'll still email my DA the updated details before hand and allow him to update it if he wants...but otherwise you're perfectly fine

Seems like everyone is getting quotes lower than cheaper cars. Anyone else like me and getting quotes for much higher? Lowest I've got is 2300/year and I'm in Ajax, married, over 25. I was quoted 1500/year for a model S a few months ago so I'm kind of shocked especially when others are getting on average 1500 for their 3s.

Just got my substitute quote for a 2018 S 75D with my Model 3 VIN attached to it until TD Melloche Monnex gets the 3 in their system. $1,030 for the year with all the trimmings.

Had the policy set to start on June 6th with my current delivery date and will amend if necessary.

Just got my substitute quote for a 2018 S 75D with my Model 3 VIN attached to it until TD Melloche Monnex gets the 3 in their system. $1,030 for the year with all the trimmings.

Had the policy set to start on June 6th with my current delivery date and will amend if necessary.
So how does that work? If the actual Model 3 premium is higher/lower they will adjust accordingly?

So how does that work? If the actual Model 3 premium is higher/lower they will adjust accordingly?
That's what they told me... they'd adjust once it's in their system. But I have my doubts they'll actually notify me, especially if the price goes down.

I'm curious what's taking them so long. It sounds like they've got a lot of people asking about this model of car. It would be of benefit to them to add it quick and avoid all the extra overhead of temporary placeholder rates.

I received the same $1600'ish as an earlier poster at The Personal for Mississauga. One thing to check is the deductible, especially collision. My S for example STILL has a $2k collision deductible there, and they can't change it even though my car is over 5 years old. If other's are using S as the placeholder, your deductibles could change once they load in the 3. The Personal has $1000 ded across the board for the 3 (if I wrote my notes right).

I'd shop around, but I have my wife's engagement ring insured there and that was a major pain to get set up that I really don't want to repeat...