Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Auto pilot feels like drunk driving

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was able to engage auto pilot a few times after the recent upgrades, but every time I enabled it, it feels like drunk driving, but it tends to make steering like it's trying to move to the next lane. Or it's rolling the steering wheel back and forth much more significant than a normal driver would do. Anyone feels similarly? It feels like it's even far from beta quality.

Reactions: disagree
Recent big software upgrade, it seemed like the AP1 forgot what it had learned. So it is re-learning. Stuff like where the road has a tight turn, or a construction zone. Losing lane tracking at the crest of a hill. I liken it more to having my teenage kid driving. Always ready to grab the wheel. Seems like AP1 has gone backwards.

Reactions: hybridbear
My car does not feel this way at all. I'm impressed with what it's doing with one camera and the first update .

It explicitly says it's Beta - and it's the first such update with hw2 - it's significantly farther along than any other mfgr.

Have any of the complainers actually been involved in Beta anything else ? Gaming , product launches etc ? That means it's not a final functioning product and you are basically testing it for them.

If you didn't know this buying a car that's not really a car ; it's more like a phone with next gen drone tech than its like a car .

Maybe I'm biased, or too much a fan boy ; but the constant complaints of a beta software that has warning after warning saying that if you aren't ready to take over at any moments notice to NOT USE. The dang thing and wait for future releases is irritating as heck:

Don't like it? Don't use it.

I personally love my car taking me out of my development everyday . I love it taking over in traffic - and I am ok with the corrections I have to provide as I am confident in the company that it will do nothing but continue to improve and that's amazing and exciting, and I'm part of the push of humanities greatest present day achievements - im a Beta tester for it and helping change the world.

If you don't feel the same way about the company and the way they operate maybe a luxury ICE is more your style.

If I were to post a video of someone playing Russian roulette and not getting the bullet, you would conclude that shooting a gun at your head is safe. :rolleyes:

You CANNOT reason from small sample size to safety. It has to be the other way around. We are not even talking edge cases. Many people are experiencing radically unsafe tendencies with EAP on uncomplicated roads. It's great that there exist some roads and situations in which Local Autosteer isn't terrifying. Huzzah! But this oddly blind attachment to a brand -- that itself arose from trying to see things in new ways -- is not merely ironic but also counterproductive.

If I were to post a video of someone playing Russian roulette and not getting the bullet, you would conclude that shooting a gun at your head is safe. :rolleyes:

You CANNOT reason from small sample size to safety. It has to be the other way around. We are not even talking edge cases. Many people are experiencing radically unsafe tendencies with EAP on uncomplicated roads. It's great that there exist some roads and situations in which Local Autosteer isn't terrifying. Huzzah! But this oddly blind attachment to a brand -- that itself arose from trying to see things in new ways -- is not merely ironic but also counterproductive.

The highlighted language is clearly correct, but ironically you seem to have no problem making that leap yourself in post after post after post.

Although you disagree(TM), I think it is very helpful to see videos of Autopilot in action and working well such as the one you are complaining about, as well as where it does not work so well.

Many here seem to fall prey to negativity bias, paying attention only to Autopilot shortcomings while ignoring the baseline -- which is flawed human driving that is riddled with errors and costs tens of thousands of lives in the U.S. alone every year. Negativity bias - Wikipedia. This is the same mistake people made with AP1 that led them to falsely predict it was unsafe when the data shows that activating AP1 led to a 40% reduction in accidents.

I was able to engage auto pilot a few times after the recent upgrades, but every time I enabled it, it feels like drunk driving, but it tends to make steering like it's trying to move to the next lane. Or it's rolling the steering wheel back and forth much more significant than a normal driver would do. Anyone feels similarly? It feels like it's even far from beta quality.
I noticed this the other day in my AP1 Model X. I used to use AutoPilot all the time, but now it's too unpredictable for me to feel safe. Three times I enabled it on the drive home, and each time it started to move somewhat aggressively to the left like it wanted to hit the concrete divider! I can't take the chance that it's just "calibrating" its position in the lane, because you all know how forum members (and I) would react if the car actually hit the thing: "Why didn't you take control before you hit the divider?" "If your car starts to drive towards an obstacle, why would you let it continue in that direction and just hope your X would correct itself?" So no more AutoPilot for me for a while. I hope Tesla gets its sh!t together soon, because it's getting annoying that some features are actually getting worse instead of better with firmware 8.

• Disagree
Reactions: moscard and Blu Zap
Have any of the complainers actually been involved in Beta anything else ? Gaming , product launches etc ? That means it's not a final functioning product and you are basically testing it for them.

Do you usually need to pay 10k for a beta software? Is it common to use beta software in safety critical real time application?

Last edited:
Reactions: Reeler and ahtlys
Do you usually need to pay 10k for a beta software? Is it common to use beta software in safety critical real time application?

I'd argue that the Beta AP2.0 hardware certainly wasn't $10k; traditionally early access to hardware actually does come with a decent price tag. I'd also argue that use of the beta is completely optional. You can drive your car everyday without ever using AP. If Tesla had to only rely on fleet vehicles to get miles, it would have taken Tesla exponentially longer to activate AP across the board.

AP 1.0 has definitely gotten worse on 8.0 compared to 7.1. But, should that surprise us? Tesla has no incentive to continue to improve AP 1.0 now that AP 2.0 hardware has been released. In fact, they have an incentive to make AP 1.0 get worse, that will urge owners to buy a new Tesla with AP 2.0 hardware.

If this is proven true I will cancel my M3 reservation and get a Prius. I can't stay behind a company that does this.

What they can do with AP1 is a little limited not because of incentive but because of development. MobileEye and Tesla had a nasty split and they didn't stay on board to transition to TeslaVision (on the AP2.0 system). Even with Tesla holding the dev controls to the legacy AP1.0 system, there will be some limitations that they won't be able to overcome because it's not their solution.

What they can do with AP1 is a little limited not because of incentive but because of development. MobileEye and Tesla had a nasty split and they didn't stay on board to transition to TeslaVision (on the AP2.0 system). Even with Tesla holding the dev controls to the legacy AP1.0 system, there will be some limitations that they won't be able to overcome because it's not their solution.

I am not expecting them to do what is impossible.

You stand behind the companies of every product you own?

No, but Tesla is the first I've spent $1000 on, just to reserve a product I am not gonna get until probably late 2018. Not to mention the priced payed for HW2/AP2.
And considering my delivery experience, the problems I have with my car, how bad AP2 is for me, I will not be supporting Tesla anymore if things don't improve.

Anyway my comment was supposed to funny. Forgot the smiley :)

I wonder if they are starting to use Tesla Vision on the AP1.0 hardware as I bet MobileEye is not eager to improve things for Tesla.
I saw this speculation in other threads, but does the AP1 hardware have enough processing power to support Tesla Vision?

If I'm not mistaken, a lot of the processing for AP1 is done on the Mobileye chip which has its own custom functions and is not going to support the general functions that Tesla Vision uses.

It would be very interesting to see what the Mobileye contract entails. If Mobileye also cut off software licensing (I find that unlikely though as this would make their package very unattractive to OEMs, since any riff with Mobileye means the rug is pulled out) then Tesla may have to switch to their own software.