Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Auto steer Not ready for prime time

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Appreciate everyone's reply. Admittedly, I have not had the benefit of experiencing different versions and their respective improvements. I can only imagine the experience of those using the first version. Totally agree it's nice to have the choice of adapting or not. Would be interesting to know the threshold a new feature must meet before Tesla rolls it out or how many features they have had to recall due to safety concerns.
I had discovered that any adjustments to the wheel controls avoids the nag, including a volume adjustment on the audio. Point taken on driving position of hands. The wobble back and forth was downright scary and I don't spook easy given a Harley is my other vehicle.
Thanks again for the conversation

Obviously some will disagree .............

My feeling is that anything (a safety device in this case) that works most of the time, but not all of the time .... is hazardous.
When we become casual about driving responsibilities, and rely on a device to compensate for our lack of attention, it becomes dangerous.

I'd be much more interested in a safety device that would sense an impaired driver, and park the vehicle at the curb.
I'm not sure I believe the story, but it has been reported a CHP observed a sleeping man behind the wheel of a Tesla proceeding down the freeway, sound asleep.
As the story goes, the officer got in front, slowed, and the Tesla slowed, eventually to a stop. Reportedly, the driver was intoxicated.

My feeling is that anything (a safety device in this case) that works most of the time, but not all of the time .... is hazardous.
When we become casual about driving responsibilities, and rely on a device to compensate for our lack of attention, it becomes dangerous.

I'd be much more interested in a safety device that would sense an impaired driver, and park the vehicle at the curb.
I'm not sure I believe the story, but it has been reported a CHP observed a sleeping man behind the wheel of a Tesla proceeding down the freeway, sound asleep.
As the story goes, the officer got in front, slowed, and the Tesla slowed, eventually to a stop. Reportedly, the driver was intoxicated.
not sure you believe the story? CHP uses Autopilot to stop a Tesla Model S with a sleeping driver at the wheel

i bought EAP with the car knowing it had issues. There are plenty of historical videos showing how EAP can do stupid things, like hopping the double yellow and then start traversing in the opposite lane.

Treat it like a machine that isn't as smart as we want it to be, and it will significantly save you driving effort. Once you learn where it is weak, like right lanes and lane changes, you'll adapt and minimize the times you allow it to encounter those situations. Then, EAP is near flawless. But it's definitely getting better, and I actually love testing its limits to see what it can and cannot handle.

Reactions: pilotSteve

Eh-the places where it won't work (and is supposed to- not talking about folks who don't read the manual and get mad when it doesn't know what a stop sign is) are generally places you "see coming" some distance away if you're paying any attention in even the loosest sense...

Like if I see a construction zone is coming up, I'm probably taking back over- because who knows what they did with lane lines in the zone right? But I've generally got plenty of notice that's coming- at least tens of seconds if not minutes of advance warning I need to do something.

For the other 95% of my highway driving it makes things vastly vastly better and works great. This is especially an improvement compared to manual driving in busy traffic, where the computer and radar is going to notice an idiot slamming on the brakes ahead of me (or 2 cars ahead as the radar is capable of) and react to it quicker than a human can...and in manual mode I'd have potentially no, or very few, seconds to have noticed this was happening.

I've been using EAP for about 6 months now, and love it. It does take a while to get used to, and get comfortable with. For me it was more than a month; I suspect the 30 day trial just isn't long enough for a lot of people. Personally I would buy EAP just for the TACC - I use that almost all the time, it's freaking fantastic!

The wobble back and forth was downright scary and I don't spook easy given a Harley is my other vehicle.
Oh to be sure, it takes some getting used to. I remember the first time I tried using it, during a test drive with a Model S. Aiieee, that was some freaking feeling with the wheel moving by itself. I just couldn't, I kept fighting the wheel and tripping it off. LOL

There are still a few curves I flip it off for, because I'm just not up living with how tight it holds the line with a stream of oncoming traffic (w/o crossing the line, mind you). But that's pretty rare at highway speeds, that's more on local roads that are allowed tighter corners because of lower speed limit.

"Motorcycle" ain't the comparison here. It's having a teenage kid and letting them drive you around. :cool: Except you do have the out of grabbing the wheel in the moment if you really don't like what they're doing.

Anyway, it won't be for everyone. If it doesn't work for you, at least at this point, then it doesn't. That said, my wife will use it (although it occasionally slowing for a overhead sign kinda pisses her off) convinces me that the people that will accept it given some time are in the majority. If there's anyone that's *cough* particular about being in control of a situation more than me, it's her. ;)

Last edited:
I really think the 1 month trial isn't long enough for most people to become comfortable with how EAP works.
It must have taken me at least that long to let it take faster curves or approach a stopped vehicle.
Now EAP drives 90% of my 24 mile commute and 99% of the highway part.
Setting the follow distance at 5 or 6 is so much more relaxing, people cutting in doesn't cause hard braking unless they do something stupid.
Stress levels are lower than riding the train or bus.
It just keeps getting better and better
Definitely glad they didn't wait for fully baked

1. The "put pressure on the wheel" occurs about 3x/mile a real pia
You can thank some of the earlier S/X drivers for this one, you know, the ones not following instructions and having accidents.

2. When you go by a ramp entering the freeway and you lose the right lane line the car will veer to the right trying to center itself in the temporary extra wide lane. Unsettling, especially for the passenger who is seeing the car move right toward the shoulder.
Isn't that where you are supposed to be? In the middle of the lane? Find a law that says otherwise. Yea, I know, I'm sure that will eventually be fixed
3. Lane change was the only real excitement of the trip. Sometimes the car would go into a wobble moving left then right over and over not knowing if it was safe to change lanes. Only way to stop it was grab wheel and disengage. The color of the lane marker seemed to set it
off. One time this happened with freshly striped black asphalt. This alone was a deal breaker.

This is a newly updated function and there's definitely a safety first concept. Expect some definite remediation

4. When it did successfully change lanes, I found the rate of change too fast. Not good for tire wear and uncomfortable for passengers.

This is very different than my experience. It takes about 3-4 seconds to change lanes which it somewhere between average and long. And that's a LOT slower than some people who do it <1 second.

5. Self steering was very good when not changing lanes as long as there were visible stripes on each side of the road.

Main thing to remember, features come along all the time. What you see today is definitely not what we will have 6 months from now.

I've had my 30 day trial of EAP for a week. V9 is better than V8, but there's more work to do. As others have said, when the road lines get wide due to a merging pair of lanes, EAP tries to center up on the outer lines with no inner dashed line to follow, then once it sees the center line and decides which lane it wants to be in, it jerks into that lane.

I'm looking for the day when EAP can handle a 4 way stop sign.

At higher speeds you have to touch the wheel more often. At 60 mph it's about a 23 second gap, at 80+ mph its 13 seconds. At slower speeds under 50 mph, it's more like 40 seconds. The nag is a pain. Using turn signals also counts for touching the wheel.

At higher speeds you have to touch the wheel more often. At 60 mph it's about a 23 second gap, at 80+ mph its 13 seconds. At slower speeds under 50 mph, it's more like 40 seconds. The nag is a pain. Using turn signals also counts for touching the wheel.

You're never supposed to not be touching the wheel on EAP.

Personally I find if I just leave my left hand resting on the wheel at about 7 o'clock, essential arm on my lap, I never get nags.

• Helpful
Reactions: GSP
I've been using EAP for about 6 months now, and love it. It does take a while to get used to, and get comfortable with. For me it was more than a month; I suspect the 30 day trial just isn't long enough for a lot of people. Personally I would buy EAP just for the TACC - I use that almost all the time, it's freaking fantastic!
I found TACC to be 10/10. It was autosteer that was a letdown. I'd pay $2,000 just for TACC in a heartbeat.

You may be right about 30 days not being long enough for some people.

Reactions: GSP and bijan
I love Autopilot. it is fantastic and very relaxing. Best thing to reduce stress since automatic transmission was invented. You just need to use a bit of common sense to see where you can trust it fully and where you need to be watchful and where you need to take control.

Will not buy a Tesla or any car without the same level of AP capabilities.

W-o-r-t-h e-v-e-r-y p-e-n-n-y