Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Auto Wipers Worked!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They have occasionally worked. But there are so many different conditions they need to work before I give it a thumbs up.

Light rain on poorly lit roads are tough.

Modest to heavy rain during good lighting always worked.

I have not seen a bug fixed in 6 months yet.

I have 8.5 but not driven it much yet. We’ll see.

Understood. It has been very random in the past. What got my attention is that it work on two consecutive days. Friday way light misting rain from twilight to after sunset. Today was moderate to heavy rain during the day. Both days it handled the changing rain conditions without issues including swiping just after I got hit by truck over spray from on coming traffic.

I have not used auto wipers for a long time because they were just not acceptable before. I recently gave it another try and the improvement is tremendous. They actually work well now.

Same goes for automatic high beams. A huge improvement since I turned them off a while back for not working too well. Now I have them on and they actually work better then my BMW.

My wipers turn on once in a while in the garage.

Yesterday I drove through a very heavy downpour. The auto wipers worked ok, but not great. I'd still have to intervene from time to time. This morning, after sitting in the garage for over 12 hours, the first thing that happened is that the wipers ran at full speed (on dry glass) for about 5 seconds. That's not the first time such an event has occurred.

There's a lot of variability in terms of how often the wipers turn on and what people determine as low visibility or not. If you don't like the auto version, switch it to continuous slow or intermittent slow, as per pg. 55 of the manual. Tesla recommends the first 4 non-AUTO settings while the AUTO version is still in BETA. Until it's not, try to chill.

It seems like when you get to the details of everything that is quite screwed up about Tesla, it falls squarely on Elon's shoulders.
1) Elon was the person who made the edict that they would not use a standard rain sensor. I don't believe the wipers will ever work right. And to the folks that claim they work now: you are indeed a lucky and select few. They are garbage here in the Pacific Northwest (I am running 2019.20.2.1).
2) Elon was the person that said that an industrial rated display would be fine for their purposes, rather than an automotive rated display - and we are now saddled with the yellow ring of death on S and X displays.
3) Elon dictated that LIDAR would not be used, yet the TACC and autopilot continues to have serious flaws with detecting phantom objects that slam on the brakes. I don't believe we'll ever reach reliable autopilot, much less FSD, with the current camera-based edict-driven approach.
4) Elon is also apparently the person that has created an environment of high turnover which is ALWAYS a sign there is something very wrong at the top.

Yes, he is a visionary, yes he is brilliant, but is becoming clearer and clearer that he has some flaws that trickle down to the company and us owners. Time for a change?

Last edited:
My new Tesla's auto-wipers suck. They are slow to start when rain starts, and they don't function at the rate they should.
Having to look at the touch screen in order to press two buttons while driving in the rain is really not a great experience to control the wipers.
Minimalist interior is mostly fine, but the left stick should have auto/manual/speed wiper controls on it.

Reactions: WarpedOne