Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Automated Car Washing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just brought a non-Tesla car of mine into a car wash and noticed a sign warning that automated breaking systems should be turned off, so I need to ask if there are any precautions that I should take when I bring in my Tesla S?

I just brought a non-Tesla car of mine into a car wash and noticed a sign warning that automated breaking systems should be turned off, so I need to ask if there are any precautions that I should take when I bring in my Tesla S?

I think a touchless car wash would reduce mechanical damages on your car but it may use strong detergent that is not good for your paint.

I would avoid the ones that has rags or brushes touching your car.

I would avoid one that pulls your car for a ride.

If you must, make sure your car is in Neutral gear or Tow mode where the car can roll freely so the automatic system can pull your car.

I will never take the car to a regular car wash or anything that pulls my car. It has been Touchless Car washes for both of my MS. It does take a little bit of elbow grease after the wash i.e. thoroughly drying the vehicle with micro fiber towels, tire shine, etc. It helps if you have the vehicles wrapped (XpelPro or like kind) and coated.

2 solutions for you: 1.) Never let your car go through the "automated" car wash--our car wash refused to take mine-- the feed that pulls the wheels through will scuff up your rims -- a pet peeve of just about everyone who has one, low profile tires or not, 2.) Instead of springing for the "hand wash" at the car wash - wash it yourself with waterless car wash -- it only takes 5-10 minutes, it's a lot of fun to do yourself, you can stop and start any time, carry your supplies in the FRUNK (spellcheck hates that word!) and it is better for your paint (the "hand wash" usually is done with a single bucket of water and scratchy cotton rags or "microfiber" that is used, damaged, and brittle! I've had it with commercial car washes). - TeslaChick

I agree with all of the above post regarding an automated car wash. The wash I used to go too would not let a Tesla go through their wash. Smart and honest people. They are thinking about having a hand wash service in the future if the number of 'T' grows in our area.

I keep reading these threads recommending hand-washing Tesla cars. You guys must be from states with warm or dry climate, lucky you! With all the snow, salt and dirt we get on the roads, I just can't imagine doing it all by hand, especially during winter...

I took a Jeep Cherokee through a touchless car wash, once. Those things should be called cleanless car washes. The car wasn't even that dirty, but it made absolutely no difference.
I found exactly the same thing. They barely do more than rinse the car.

I was toying with the idea of an automated carwash myself since I'm lazy but thinking critically about how expensive my car was and how much I love it, I realised I should just get off my butt and wash it myself. Turns out I enjoy washing such an awesome car. There's a hell of a lot of fine damage that can happen from automated or bad hand car washes. I just bought myself 20 microfibre cloths for $6 on special and wash without reusing the cloths, then throw the cloths into the wash. Great way to avoid the superfine swirls (which you only become aware of if you're really fussy and pay attention.)

A few of my observations...touch less washes have to use harsh chemicals + pressure to clean cars. I find they don't do a good job and I don't trust the chemicals on my paint.

More importantly, I enjoy washing my car with my two buckets + with grit guards. I've hand washed my car twice this week...I find it relaxing!!!

I just got into the waterless car wash business with my kids because I like to wash my car in the garage (because it's too hot here to wash it outside). It's better for your paint anyway, and you don't need a hose (which will freeze in the cold so how could you?! I'm from Wisconsin originally and I completely identify with your problem. If you want a discount at my company, just use the word "OWNER" for the coupon code and I'll give you 10% off so you can try it :) Diana at TeslaChick

I keep reading these threads recommending hand-washing Tesla cars. You guys must be from states with warm or dry climate, lucky you! With all the snow, salt and dirt we get on the roads, I just can't imagine doing it all by hand, especially during winter...

Exactly! What is everyone in the colder climates doing in the winter then? Waterless? Even so you'd have to bundle up to do it unless you have a heated garage.

Exactly! What is everyone in the colder climates doing in the winter then? Waterless? Even so you'd have to bundle up to do it unless you have a heated garage.

I am in Toronto, not exactly balmy in the winter but I have two options.

1. Wait for days that aren't freezing or;

2. There is an indoor car wash where I bring my car in an emergency. I hand wash it there.

I have a 2013 ICE vehicle that I've taken through an automatic soft brush car wash twice per week since I bought it. I scoffed at those who said a carwash was bad. I still own that car, and the black paint is covered with swirls and scratches. Regular automatic car washing will damage the paint, I believe because people with really dirty cars cause the brushes to be contaminated with debris that then drags along your cars paint.

I use the optimum no rinse wash by hand on my MS. It's especially nice to be able to wash my car inside the garage in winter. For the bad weather winter months, I take it through a higher end carwash once a month to get the underside, but only after I've waxed it (with the hope that the wax provides some protection).

I currently scoff at the people spending big money on wraps, but maybe in 2020 I'll be in the same boat regretting that view...