Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Automatic creep makes it impossible to come to a smooth stop

Do you want creep or no-creep?

• No creep - the car doesn't move if the accelerator isn't pressed

Votes: 45 60.0%
  • Creep - the car rolls forwards if the accelerator isn't pressed

Votes: 30 40.0%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's my only wish for my car; no creep. That and Sport performance; Sport performance and no creep.

No creep, Sport performance and automatic park when the door is opened like the ActiveE.

Those are the things that I want; Sport Performance, No Creep and automatic switch off… No one expects the Spanish Inquisition.

It's my only wish for my car; no creep. That and Sport performance; Sport performance and no creep.

No creep, Sport performance and automatic park when the door is opened like the ActiveE.

Those are the things that I want; Sport Performance, No Creep and automatic switch off… No one expects the Spanish Inquisition.
I don't think I would want auto park when the door is opened. Many times it's very handy to be able to creep this way or that with the door open. Automatic park when the vehicle is turned off is OK. Usually you turn it off before opening your door.

hcharp: To creep with open doors is dangerous. Especially if you should be tempted to have already one leg out. In one case that leg was lost as the door pushed against a slim and not so prominently visible pillar on the side. I ruined one door a long time ago in that way backing out slowly - against a pillar too.
For me creep is ideal and I would miss it. In town traffic, when stopped, you can close up and creep along without lifting your foot off the brake pedal. Much safer this way than having to amble your foot from pedal to pedal to keep up with crawling traffic. Similarly regenerative braking is perfectly adjusted and feels very safe to drive as your foot can remain much of the time on the accelerator pedal. A free wheeling car would be horrible and might be uncontrollable in hilly terrain. With manually shifted cars you would not pass a drivers test freewheeling. The gear has to be chosen to hold the car (in Switzerland that is).

I wish it was like a Segway and would just hold its position whether you're on a hill or not. As it is, if you are stopped on a hill the car will roll backwards which is just ridiculous. Make creep the default but let us turn it off.

I think they could engineer it to turn creep off when a door is open. I also agree with leaving it on by default since that's the normal behavior of an automatic ICE (to make the transition to ICE easier for people) but having a way to turn it off would be great.

that's the normal behavior of an automatic ICE

Isn't Tesla all about NOT being an ICE? To artificially mimic the characteristics that result from the inefficiencies of an ICE with slushbox transmission seems to me to fly against their core mission! If people can transition to one-pedal driving then they can certainly get over the lack of creep at the same time. For the "stuck in traffic" scenario, don't we want to be modulating the accelerator (and regen) rather than modulating the friction brakes with creep?

At the very least the ability to turn it off (and keep it off) is a must.

I'd prefer not to have creep. My Zap Xebra was freewheeling. With the foot off both pedals the car would remain stopped if stopped on level ground, or coast smoothly with very little drag if moving. My electric Porsche (conversion) was the same. It was very easy to maintain constant speed by just keeping a slight pressure on the pedal.

Yes, the brake was necessary on hills, but that was not a problem. In that respect it was just like a manual transmission, which to this long-time stick-shift guy is the natural way.

The Roadster, with strong regen on the accelerator pedal is hard to keep at a constant speed, and with creep requires a foot on the brake at a stop. Now, I understand that regen on the brake pedal (the way Toyota does it) is very complicated. But why not, instead of creep, have the car slow to a stop using regen when your foot is off the pedal, and remain stopped until you press the pedal again? Why require the use of the brake pedal at a stop?

Here's one vote against creep.

I don't think I would want auto park when the door is opened. Many times it's very handy to be able to creep this way or that with the door open. Automatic park when the vehicle is turned off is OK. Usually you turn it off before opening your door.

Doing that is dangerous. I haven't done it in 20 years, because the last time I did I bent the corner of my door on a low-hanging shelf in my garage.

I'm of mixed minds about this. I think it could be beneficial for the car to not roll back on a slope - which could be solved without introducing creep... although that would encourage people to sit at lights with the brakes off, which I also consider dangerous.

Isn't Tesla all about NOT being an ICE? To artificially mimic the characteristics that result from the inefficiencies of an ICE with slushbox transmission seems to me to fly against their core mission!

I see two issues with eliminating creep by default. First, most people (at least in the U.S.) are used to driving ICE-powered automatics. That is probably why Tesla has implemented creep (and probably will by default on Model S & X as well). It is an attempt to keep people as "comfortable" as possible with the transition to an EV.

The second issue I see is what Doug_G said:

... although that would encourage people to sit at lights with the brakes off, which I also consider dangerous.

If the brakes are engaged at a stop light/sign (due to creep) then the car won't hit the person in front of you in the event of a rear collision.

FWIW, I'd "vote" for creep as a standard "feature" that can be disabled by the driver.

What about all those cars with manual transmissions? Maybe it's because of all the hills around here but I always keep my foot on the brakes when stopped, but I'm not sure it would make that much difference anyway. The light pedal pressure to hold a vehicle still on the flat isn't going to do much if you are slammed into from behind, if that is the concern, brake lights could be set to come on when not moving. I mean people made the adjustment from manual cars with no creep to automatics with creep, they can't adjust back for some reason?

There's really no downside to having the brakes engaged on a stationary car. I'm not sure why you're trying to argue the case for sitting waiting to be pushed at full speed into other vehicles or crossing traffic? I've had someone rear-end me in stopped traffic and they were going full speed, believe me I was really happy I had my brakes on.

Anyway, this is going unnecessarily OT.