Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autonomous Car Progress

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Harman, a software company owned by Samsung says they are focused on making ADAS features more personalized to the owner.

"There are many people who say that lane-keeping assist is a great feature, it keeps them in their lane if they’re not 100% attentive, but there are many others who say that they don’t like it. It reacts in a way that they don’t understand. To get these people motivated, personalization is key. This, for me, will be the major breakthrough. Identifying who is behind the steering wheel, and providing personalized application of the different features via the cloud,” explained Bernhard Pirkl, Harman’s vice president of ADAS, in an interview with Digital Trends."

He believes full autonomy is still in the future:

"Harman, like a majority of its peers and rivals, doesn’t believe full autonomy is around the corner. Pirkl explained that technology developed in the last decade can drive a car better than a human. It can steer, brake, accelerate, and change gears more smoothly and with more accuracy. What these systems struggle with is the unexpected.

“Observing a situation, understanding the context, and predicting what will happen in the next five, 10, or 15 seconds is the key challenge,” he explained. Technology like lidar and 5G can help engineers overcome this hurdle."

He sees a benefit in V2V technology to make autonomy even safer:

"you approach an intersection and notice that the light is green so you keep your foot down without thinking twice. Meanwhile, a car traveling on the road perpendicular to yours can’t stop for its red light due to a brake problem. Your self-driving car might not see the runaway vehicle if there are signs, trucks, or buildings at the corner of the intersection, and it would be caught off-guard. It might avoid the collision, but it almost certainly wouldn’t be smooth. Adding 5G-enabled vehicle-to-vehicle communication technology to this scenario would allow the runaway car to tell others around it, including yours, “watch out, I can’t stop, please slow down.” Teaching cars to talk promises to make autonomy much safer."

Ultimately, he sees autonomy coming first to robotaxis and geofenced applications that are simpler. He thinks full autonomy on consumer cars will take longer:

"“What we see is that the focus has shifted more towards people-movers in operational design domains, so in dedicated environments like airports and university campuses, things like that. Or, towards commercial vehicles, where there is much less vehicle dynamics. The situations are far less complex. Autonomy will first come via these business areas, but for privately-owned cars it will take much longer than expected,” summed up Pirkl."

Harman Working on Personalizing Electronic Driving Aids | Digital Trends

The myth is that FSD is not even possible without V2X. I don't think you are saying that. You merely arguing that V2X will make FSD better. So I don't think you are really disagreeing with the myth.

For the record, I agree with your post. IMO, V2X is not required for FSD but it could certainly enhance it.

V2X will be hard to implement since virtually nobody has it. You would have to wait for 100% other cars to implement the standard. And the security risks will outweigh the little benefit you get.

V2X is plain stupid to me right now, just another avenue for publicity stunts.

V2X is not required for FSD. But I would not go so far as to call it stupid. You think it would be stupid if we had smart traffic lights that could more efficiently regulate the flow of traffic? Or if we could communicate directly to autonomous cars to tell them about accidents or other road problems in advance? I don't think that is stupid.

Reactions: S4WRXTTCS
You think it would be stupid if we had smart traffic lights that could more efficiently regulate the flow of traffic? Or if we could communicate directly to autonomous cars to tell them about accidents or other road problems in advance? I don't think that is stupid.

For the purposes you're pointing out, we already have that. It's called the internet. As for traffic flow or accidents, wouldn't that be possible with just cameras (that are already installed in most urban areas)?

Harman, a software company owned by Samsung
"Harman, like a majority of its peers and rivals, doesn’t believe full autonomy is around the corner.
This is coming from Harman ... the company that bought Adobe Flash from Adobe... they are not known for vision or revolutionary change.

They will probably buy Waymo when it is in bankruptcy too.

• Funny
Reactions: diplomat33
For the purposes you're pointing out, we already have that. It's called the internet. As for traffic flow or accidents, wouldn't that be possible with just cameras (that are already installed in most urban areas)?
It is not just that, cars would be a better source of that info not stationary objects like traffic lights. This way you have a chance to get that info everywhere the car goes and not just the privileged locations that have special traffic lights.

And hey, Google figures out the slowdowns/major delays without any additional sensors beside your phone having GPS... what do ya know...

Last edited:
It is not just that, cars would be a better source of that info not stationary objects like traffic lights. This was you have a chance to get that info everywhere the car goes and not just the privileged locations that have special traffic lights.

Yup, I find Elon's comments about fsd being the "Google search" for transportation "visionary." With Tesla's sensor suite and software stack, there are many possibilities with cars automatically mapping / identifying everything that's on or near our roads. As AI gets better, pretty anything's possible (and maybe even scary, like autonomous police patrols lol).

We may have hints at this automatic mapping here:

• Helpful
Reactions: mikes_fsd
Yup, I find Elon's comments about fsd being the "Google search" for transportation "visionary." With Tesla's sensor suite and software stack, there are many possibilities with cars automatically mapping / identifying everything that's on or near our roads. As AI gets better, pretty anything's possible (and maybe even scary, like autonomous police patrols lol).

Waymo and Mobileye are already doing that now.

“Observing a situation, understanding the context, and predicting what will happen in the next five, 10, or 15 seconds is the key challenge,” he explained.

I think this is it in a nut shell. Anticipating the few seconds is something humans are relatively good at, and I think computers have a ways to go to get there.

V2X will be hard to implement since virtually nobody has it. You would have to wait for 100% other cars to implement the standard. And the security risks will outweigh the little benefit you get.

I don't believe that every car needs to have V2X for it to provide some benefit. Like many other things, a rudimentary version provides a little bit of benefit and as a thing evolves it becomes more and more useful.

Reactions: diplomat33
I think this is it in a nut shell. Anticipating the few seconds is something humans are relatively good at, and I think computers have a ways to go to get there.

I don't believe that every car needs to have V2X for it to provide some benefit. Like many other things, a rudimentary version provides a little bit of benefit and as a thing evolves it becomes more and more useful.

how would you implement for a 20% adoption rate?

That's not automatic mapping. That's just randomness with the third attempt having the benefit of using its forward car following algorithm because there's a car to follow up ahead.

In other news: Mobileye might be the first to deploy Vidar to consumer cars in Sept if Elon/Tesla doesn't catch up.

gZAjMD.gif

Well @verygreen finally clarified one thing for me:
upload_2021-2-5_13-46-43.png

Do tell green, what did they lie about, actual specifics (or are we too stupid to understand the technical nuance in your opinion?)
https://twitter.com/greentheonly/status/1352431051134672896

It kind changes your perspective when the info you read from a poster is tainted from out of the gate with some sort of vendetta or agenda (i.e. lied about AV progress)

That's not automatic mapping. That's just randomness with the third attempt having the benefit of using its forward car following algorithm because there's a car to follow up ahead.

I'm not so sure .. the video is inconclusive because the tester didn't run another confirmation test afterwards. I agree its not the car AI learning or anything like that, but the car did appear to take a "better" path on the 2nd attempt (when there was no other car to follow). It's possible (well, plausible) that the car can drop "pins" onto the map to indicate temporary obstructions in the road (I'm not saying it does, I'm just saying we are all speculating here).

As to the "follow car" speculation, I dont think that makes sense. The "follow car" was not in a lane the car wanted to be in .. it wanted to be in the right hand lane to turn right, the follow car was not in this lane. If the Tesla didn't know about an obstruction up ahead (had no memory of previous attempts), there would be no reason for it to follow the other car into the other lane. If the Tesla always did this then FSD would be weaving all over the place from lane to lane trying to latch onto a follow car all the time. Since it clearly doesnt do this, something prompted the car to move over other than just the follow car being present.

However, this is all speculation. It's possible that the headlights of the other car illuminated the road ahead better and FSD was able to see the obstruction coming up in its lane, hence the lane change. So the follow car did cause the change, but only indirectly.

Reactions: powertoold