Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autonomy Investor Day - April 22 at 2pm ET

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
it's interesting how many people seem to have missed the details and are saying Elon committed to having L5 on city streets this year. He didn't.
Feature complete was called out at as having the cars/network having the capability of doing so.
The next step was Tesla being comfortable in turning it on - there was no date given for that.
The third step was regulatory approval. The only date given there was that Elon felt that that would happen somewhere next year.

Did I just miss something, because that's what I saw/heard?

You did not miss anything other than the second step would happen is six months (Elon's time of course). Although I think that will be done is smaller steps.

Reactions: Malbers
Well, I disagree. They just barely mastered car production at scale (and, surprise, Elon discovered that it is "really hard"). When it comes to autonomy, they are very much a startup like everyone else. I don't believe for a second that they'll have anything approaching level 5 by the end of the year.

This is not a startup pitching for financing. This is a publicly traded company discussing product plans for the on-going year. This is what makes the story big.

I agree the market now ponders whether or not it is true or it is a lie.

• Love
Reactions: Matias
it's interesting how many people seem to have missed the details and are saying Elon committed to having L5 on city streets this year. He didn't.
Feature complete was called out at as having the cars/network having the capability of doing so.
The next step was Tesla being comfortable in turning it on - there was no date given for that.
The third step was regulatory approval. The only date given there was that Elon felt that that would happen somewhere next year.

Did I just miss something, because that's what I saw/heard?
Well, he did clearly say "yes" when someone asked about level 5 by the end of the year. But perhaps it was a misunderstanding.

• Funny
Reactions: Matias
So... I understand some of you are excited by Tesla sharing more plans, timelines, ideas, etc. All good. For those who are more into “actual” things, did they show/demo anything new FSD wise that’s in some cars today? I couldn’t watch it all, so wondering.

So far pretty light on that. This was an IP showcase to appease the market in my view. The closest to that we got was that Tesla ditched HD maps and that their data collection triggers have evolved. We also got some nice insight on how NoA has evolved. The demos may of course provide more insight.

Reactions: Daniel in SD
sfu1pTO.png
The number of TOPS is not really that relevant. What matters is how many neurons you can calculate in a single second. They were quite clear on this is the reason they went and made a specialized chip (data storage between steps, SRAM buffer etc...).

They could achieve the same performance as HW3 with normal GPU's, but they would need a lot more and 500W-1kW of power. Causing a very significant and difficult cooling requirement, plus way too much cost per vehicle. And a range-hit altough 1kW is just 5-7 km/hour so not that important.

Reactions: CarlK
Then it would be securities fraud on a massive scale so let’s hope not.
It's not a lie if you believe it.
I feel like it was a good presentation of the infrastructure they have setup to pursue FSD. They emphasized their competitive advantage over other players int he market. It's hard to argue that their timeline is wrong when they're trying to do something that no one knows how to do or has successfully done. Maybe it is possible for them to do it in a year? It's impossible to disprove.

Watched the whole thing, as people said it was going so well until Elon started talking about Robotaxis.

A lot of the questions were very poor. TBF if you have really good insightful questions to ask as an investor you don't want to ask them in public as that everyone hears the answer, hence you tend to get a lot of pointless questions.

The best question for me was the one re can the person in the robotaxi start driving it and might they have to take over. Elon's answer suggested that the robotaxi thing is ill though out for the moment. This ties in with @Daniel in SD point. All that matters is does self driving work. If it does you can make a lot of money, but does it? If people can get in a car and take over driving it then it isn't a proper robotaxi. It is something closer to a hire car that brings itself to you. Would you need a driving licence to call up a robotaxi if you could take over driving it? Would you be responsible for it? The very vague answer suggests to me that the whole robotaxi thing was just tacked on and not well thought out. This makes me worry that FSD is not as fully functional as suggested.Once they are confident enough to lose the steering wheel then we are talking a real robotaxi.

if somebody takes over driving it would turn the taxi into a rental car. Rental cars exist. If you want to assume liability, go ahead.

If the robotaxi numbers are correct, Tesla should stop selling cars pretty soon. Why would you sell a device that you believe is capacity constrained and can generate $30,000 a year in gross profits at a price where you get closer to $5,000 in one off gross profit. For the moment they need the financing and volume, but soon the cars would generate so much cash they would be better using all of the cars themselves.

A robocar would be priced to reflect the value of the car.
If production capacity is less than or equal to taxi demand, the value would be extremely high and all would be taxis.
If production capacity is greater than taxi demand, the value of the excess would be relatively low and the company will make and sell as many as possible. A bird in the hand has a much greater capital return than two in the bush.

EDIT: Plus, owner of the vehicle pays for parking. Cost of parking is high.

Level 3 would be a massive accomplishment. Arguably no one has deployed a level 3 system.

Had Tesla not outlined a far more ambitious story then sure. But that does not fit the robotaxi plan.

Tesla has set the expectations, they did so in 2016 and now they have doubled down on them by saying what people buying cars today should expect: Level 5 no geofence with cars making maybe $30,000 a year in the fleet starting next year at least in some locations. Those are high goals but Tesla set those themselves.

People will now buy tons of Model 3s with this expectation rightfully bundled into the purchase. Tesla must deliver. Sure, some delay can and will be allowed, but not a fundamental deviation.

• Informative
Reactions: pilotSteve
The robotaxi story is great.

It really is.

It is a game over move to the entire (competing) industry.

The question the market must be pondering is: Is it real or is it Theranos.

The other auto makers better not wait too long to find out the answer to that question because if Tesla even achieves L3, it will be too late.

I liked the presentations. Lots of nerdy info so geeks like me understand where they really are.

Feature complete in just 7 months given they are just now starting to involve neural networks in driving decisions seem extremely ambitious. I will be impressed if they pull that off.

Reactions: zmarty
I liked the presentations. Lots of nerdy info so geeks like me understand where they really are.

Feature complete in just 7 months given they are just now starting to involve neural networks in driving decisions seem extremely ambitious. I will be impressed if they pull that off.

This is an all-in or nothing move, really. There is no going back to Level 2 ADAS from this.

It is robotaxis (next year) or bust. I like that.

My Level 5 capable hardware is waiting.

@ItsNotAboutTheMoney

I think we are saying the same thing. A hire car is what we call a rental car in the UK.

If I was being more specific, I guess it would be stop selling cars for a modest price. If you were confident in the feasibility of the robotaxi business you would want to start charging so much that people would be buying the car as a robotaxi or just use the cars in our own robotaxi business. You wouldn't be selling them as personal cars. Of course, you might also hope that speculation on the possibility of this ability to make money in the future would help sales of cars today. Then people are speculating on whether or not it actually happens.

Robotaxis could drive out of town and park somewhere cheap if not being used. Indeed one investment aspect of FSD is that the need for expensive city centre parking could collapse.

Of course the numbers only work if only Telsa has FSD. If every car maker had it then the value of FSD would collapse. I was somewhat taken by their argument that their fleet gives them some time to market advantage.

I think in general the high technical capabilities of the autopilot 3 were known. I would like to see the drives!

That is the story — except Tesla set the expectation at Level 5.

True Tesla is setting the bar very high. I guess I am just looking at it from the point of view that even L3 would be huge.

But I am starting to wonder if maybe L4/5 is possible for Tesla because of the fleet learning advantage. As Tesla produces more cars, the fleet learning accelerates. It truly is exponential. And if Tesla gets 1 million cars on the road by end of 2020 (I think that was the stat), that's a massive amount of cars feeding into the machine learning to solve edge cases.