Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autonomy Investor Day - April 22 at 2pm ET

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well, it seems this event didn't really tell us much about where they really are. The technical presentations were good (especially Karpathy's), but mostly on an "engineering for laymen" level (which was probably appropriate given the audience at an investor event). But how close are they really to solving the current shortcomings of Autopilot? From remarks by Karpathy and Musk it sounded like the AI team is still pretty much exclusively focused on vision and perception, while driving policy is still driven by hand-coded heuristics. But the latter is what is currently lacking. The non-answers by Musk and Karpathy when someone asked when the lane merging behavior might improve seemed telling.

Let's hope we get some good reports from the driving demos.

Ya noticed that too..... If you dont mind the odd fender bender.. LOL

The robotaxi story is great.

It really is.

It is a game over move to the entire (competing) industry.

The question the market must be pondering is: Is it real or is it Theranos.
There is really nothing new about this story. Very similar presentations about the economics of self-driving vehicles were used by countless Silicon Valley startups a few years ago to convince venture capitalists to invest. The key issue is feasibility.

It was Level 3+ Q2 next year early in the presentation. But later Musk was asked about what does FSD feature complete mean at end of 2019 — and he said yes to ”Level 5 no geofence”.

I think he means L5 in terms of feature complete, ie the car will have all the driving features that a L5 needs to have, but not necessarily the reliability of L5 yet. Elon has often that made that distinction before between the car having the features and the car using those features reliably. Elon has been consistent that the cars will be feature complete this year but take time before they actually get to L3+ reliability.

Reactions: Pdkj and Darren F
There is really nothing new about this story. Very similar presentations about the economics of self-driving vehicles were used by countless Silicon Valley startups a few years ago to convince venture capitalists to invest. The key issue is feasibility.

Of course there is nothing new about the story.

But this time it does not come from a startup but from a company which has the product in production and shipping to customers saying getting feature complete to Level 5 no geofence is end of this year.

They must be close — or they must be lying. That is what the market is now pondering.

Reactions: Matias
it's interesting how many people seem to have missed the details and are saying Elon committed to having L5 on city streets this year. He didn't.
Feature complete was called out at as having the cars/network having the capability of doing so.
The next step was Tesla being comfortable in turning it on - there was no date given for that.
The third step was regulatory approval. The only date given there was that Elon felt that that would happen somewhere next year.

Did I just miss something, because that's what I saw/heard?

I think he means L5 in terms of feature complete, ie the car will have all the driving features that a L5 needs to have, but not necessarily the reliability of L5 yet. Elon has often that made that distinction before between the car having the features and the car using those features reliably. Elon has been consistent that the cars will be feature complete this year but take time before they actually get to L3+ reliability.

Level 5 feature complete but simply lacking reliability end of 2019 still a massive accomplishment.

Level 5 people. All weather, all conditions, no steering wheel required.

it's interesting how many people seem to have missed the details and are saying Elon committed to having L5 on city streets this year. He didn't.
Feature complete was called out at as having the cars/network having the capability of doing so.
The next step was Tesla being comfortable in turning it on - there was no date given for that.
The third step was regulatory approval. The only date given there was that Elon felt that that would happen somewhere next year.

Did I just miss something, because that's what I saw/heard?

You missed it.

It was asked what does he mean by feature complete end of 2019 and that does he mean Level 5 no geofence — and Elon answered Yes.

Of course there is nothing new about the story.

But this time it does not come from a startup but from a company which has the product in production and shipping to customers saying getting feature complete to Level 5 no geofence is end of this year.
Well, I disagree. They just barely mastered car production at scale (and, surprise, Elon discovered that it is "really hard"). When it comes to autonomy, they are very much a startup like everyone else. I don't believe for a second that they'll have anything approaching level 5 by the end of the year.

So... I understand some of you are excited by Tesla sharing more plans, timelines, ideas, etc. All good. For those who are more into “actual” things, did they show/demo anything new FSD wise that’s in some cars today? I couldn’t watch it all, so wondering.