Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Mine has trouble recognizing the parking spot between a curb and a car. I had no trouble auto parallel parking there before on a daily basis and autopark worked flawlessly every time. Not sure if this has anything to do with the latest software update.

Had our S 100D since March - and have yet to get autopark to trigger on a real parking space. Instead, it detects the sidewalk in front of our house as a parking spot - and believes there are parking spots available when we're stopped at a light in the middle of several lanes of traffic.

Still needs work...

My Tesla has only offered to park for me while I'm in traffic at a stop light and never in a parking lot lol. I think there are several reasons why this feature is vaporware. It could be anything.

Had our S 100D since March - and have yet to get autopark to trigger on a real parking space. Instead, it detects the sidewalk in front of our house as a parking spot - and believes there are parking spots available when we're stopped at a light in the middle of several lanes of traffic.

Still needs work...

Autopark does work, but it works under pretty limited conditions and if you don’t understand how it works, then it can be difficult to get it to trigger. First, it does not use the camera to detect open parking places, but rather the ultrasonic sensors, and it will only look for parking places when you are traveling at a slow speed (around 10mph, as I recall). Because it uses the ultrasonic sensors it will only detect parking places that have cars on both sides. It looks for a car, then a gap big enough for it to fit in, then another car. It’s also important to note the the ultrasonic sensors don’t have a big range (maybe 5 to 8 feet) so if you are driving too fast or too far away from the other parked cars then it won’t detect an available space. For both parallel and perpendicular parking it will back in, so you need to go past the space that you want to park in by a couple of feet.

To get it to trigger you need to slow down to 10 mph or less, then drive fairly close (within 5-8 feet) of the line of cars that you want to park in. Once you get past an open spot with cars on each side of it you should get the option to autopark on the main screen. Push the button and let it do it’s thing.

As far as the issue the the OP had, I don’t know what happened there. I’ve used autopark a number of times and I’ve never seen it just stop in the middle of a spot like that.

I'm very aware of the conditions it's supposed to work under. The GF and I try to test it regularly and it has never functioned accurately. This is vaporware. Also if it's suggesting that I autopark when I'm at a standstill in 3 lanes of traffic it's clearly not reliable. I wouldn't trust autopark with my enemies lunch money.

I'm very aware of the conditions it's supposed to work under. The GF and I try to test it regularly and it has never functioned accurately. This is vaporware. Also if it's suggesting that I autopark when I'm at a standstill in 3 lanes of traffic it's clearly not reliable. I wouldn't trust autopark with my enemies lunch money.

I think you are using the term vaporware incorrectly. Autopark does exist, even though it may work poorly, but it is not vaporware.

The reason it triggers in traffic is because you are traveling at a slow speed and as the cars around you move slowly it will detect a car next to you, then not detect a car, then detect a car again. If the time where it doesn’t detect a car happens to be the right duration then it will appear that there is an open parking place. Since it is just using the ultrasonic sensors it isn’t able to determine that the cars next to you are moving and it believes that there is an open gap that it can park in.

It does strike me as odd that your car will work as you are in traffic but you can’t get it to work when you try. By following the steps I gave above I can get it to trigger quite predictably in my car.

I did autopark 3 or 4 times since I got the MX and worked every time. It is scary but it works. OP, did you start video late? Because your starting position is already prep'ed for the back in. When I did it, I drive perpendicularly to the parking spot and passed it until the P shows up. Then put in reverse and hit the auto park button. When I did that, it is always a 2 turns process. The first back up and turn would never have enough room for it to not hit the car further back, so it has to stop, go forward to straighten out, then back again into the space completely.

In OP's video, it looks like the car was already prep for a 1 turn back in when autopark started. Maybe the software didn't like that.

My Tesla has only offered to park for me while I'm in traffic at a stop light and never in a parking lot lol. I think there are several reasons why this feature is vaporware. It could be anything.
I've noticed the same thing more recently, but I did use it a few times last year and it worked perfectly (in a parking area of course).

I did autopark 3 or 4 times since I got the MX and worked every time. It is scary but it works. OP, did you start video late? Because your starting position is already prep'ed for the back in. When I did it, I drive perpendicularly to the parking spot and passed it until the P shows up. Then put in reverse and hit the auto park button. When I did that, it is always a 2 turns process. The first back up and turn would never have enough room for it to not hit the car further back, so it has to stop, go forward to straighten out, then back again into the space completely.

In OP's video, it looks like the car was already prep for a 1 turn back in when autopark started. Maybe the software didn't like that.

I normally do not prep perpendicularly. Instead, I just prep for this type of 1-turn back in. I guess the standard procedure to trigger Autopark is to prep perpendicularly, but the way I prep it often triggers it and completes as well. There have been some successful cases where Autopark does finish its job, but I singled out this one because it seems so bizzare to me that it refuses to finish the easiest part left.

It is not a vaporware. You have to drive below certain speed (5 mph?) and it only recognizes spots between two cars (so it won't prompt you if you are parking beside a car while the other side of your car is vacant). It also depends on how you set the tolerance - by default it leaves an ample room around, that might be why you have a hard time finding the spot that the car would fit into.

It does prompt in stop-and-go traffic at times, I'll give you that :)

I normally do not prep perpendicularly. Instead, I just prep for this type of 1-turn back in. I guess the standard procedure to trigger Autopark is to prep perpendicularly, but the way I prep it often triggers it and completes as well. There have been some successful cases where Autopark does finish its job, but I singled out this one because it seems so bizzare to me that it refuses to finish the easiest part left.

I could never get the P to show up when I am so close to the parking space. Usually I need to slowly drive pass it about 2 or 3 parking spaces before the P shows up.

Tried both parallel and perpendicular autoparking today and they both worked flawlessly. I guess autopark is just a bit finicky sometimes with its sensor detection. Wish there was redundancy to it with the 8 autopilot cameras once they become functional so that even if sensors become blocked by snow or dust, the cameras can still keep autopark operational.

It is not a vaporware. You have to drive below certain speed (5 mph?) and it only recognizes spots between two cars (so it won't prompt you if you are parking beside a car while the other side of your car is vacant). It also depends on how you set the tolerance - by default it leaves an ample room around, that might be why you have a hard time finding the spot that the car would fit into.

It does prompt in stop-and-go traffic at times, I'll give you that :)

It also parks about 10 times slower than I can and has yet to do a good job. Always crooked in the stalls and and left over a foot gap when it tried to parallel park.