Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AutoPilot 1 vs AutoPilot 2.0: why AP1 is still better

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have an AP 1 car and an AP 2.5 car. It all depends on where you are driving. Controlled freeways with good GPS speed limit data, and AP 2 seems to be more stable. AP2 handles crappy freeway lane markings better than AP 1.

HOWEVER. AP1 can be used more fully on roads that are not designated as highways in the map database. It can read speed limit signs, and can do AP lane changes on those roads, where AP2 may be restricted.

If you are going to keep the car a long time, get AP2. It will eventually have more features than AP1. If you are just going to own a car for a few years, save the money and get AP1. Trade it in on an AP2 (or 3) car once the next generation AP is more stable.

• Informative
Reactions: X Fan and Vinc
Another factor in there is unlimited free Supercharging, which may be important to you and it may not.

AP1 cars will have it. Most AP2 cars will not. There is a short (3 month) period where AP2 cars had unlimited free Supercharging, at the end of 2016.

• Helpful
Reactions: brianman
Part of the dilemma here involves AP 2.5 and AP 3.0. Tesla appears to be upgrading AP hardware pretty regularly as (apparently) they realize they need even more power to do what they've been touting. It is hard to believe that we won't be seeing "AP 3.0 only" features in another year or so and the AP 2 cars also get orphaned. None of this would be such a big deal if Tesla didn't at least give the "impression" (vs. a full-on commitment) that "AP" (regardless of version) would be capable of certain things. Certainly AP 2.x seems to be FINALLY surpassing AP 1.0 in certain areas, but I have to wonder how valuable stuff like Nav on AP will really be for folks. It may just be a party trick (like Summon is for many people) for the next year or two...and then AP 3.0 is out, etc.

I can't help but think that other things might be more important in those later AP cars (i.e. less miles, the refresh in early 2016, etc.).

Part of the dilemma here involves AP 2.5 and AP 3.0. Tesla appears to be upgrading AP hardware pretty regularly as (apparently) they realize they need even more power to do what they've been touting. It is hard to believe that we won't be seeing "AP 3.0 only" features in another year or so and the AP 2 cars also get orphaned. None of this would be such a big deal if Tesla didn't at least give the "impression" (vs. a full-on commitment) that "AP" (regardless of version) would be capable of certain things. Certainly AP 2.x seems to be FINALLY surpassing AP 1.0 in certain areas, but I have to wonder how valuable stuff like Nav on AP will really be for folks. It may just be a party trick (like Summon is for many people) for the next year or two...and then AP 3.0 is out, etc.

I can't help but think that other things might be more important in those later AP cars (i.e. less miles, the refresh in early 2016, etc.).

Nav on AP will definitely be useful, especially when having to transfer between highways on long trips. Sometimes the navigation is hard to follow, when exits are complex or very close together.
HW3 will be required for FSD, but as Elon mentioned, the only difference is the processing power which is replaceable in 30 minutes. And it will be replaced when it needs to be.

As someone who hails from the "country," I can assure you that Nav on AP is a welcome addition. When we village folks get a hankerin' to take a drive into the big city, we are quickly overwhelmed by all the lanes, exits, merges and side streets. Some exit left, some right, some look just like a the freeway keeps on rolling, but before you know it you're on the wrong freeway. Nav on AP to the rescue! :D

One thing to be aware of with NAV on AP is just how accurate the "NAV" part is. As an example, my wife and I were laughing the other day while on NAV as the car kept giving us verbal directions well after the fact and how the roads shown (which haven't changed in a couple of years) weren't quite right. Over the years I have often had to be the "voice of reason" with NAV systems as I try to correlate the reality I see out the window (or my familiarity with the area) with what the NAV is showing me or telling me. For fun, try it out on routes you are familiar with to see just how accurate it is....sorry, didn't mean to head so far off topic (I see there is a NAV on AP thread).

Went to test drive the model x today as I have increased my search of cpo to s and x. I have two kids in car seats and was thinking IF we had another I’d be screwed with the s (I pick the kids about 40 percent of the time). Anyhow, so frustrating to go test drive a car and realize you know more than the salesman about the car. Also, she kept trying to sell me on a new car... “a 75D is only 110,000 fully loaded!” Look here crazy lady, I’m seeing cpo model x’s with 17000 miles for 68,000.

Went to test drive the model x today as I have increased my search of cpo to s and x. I have two kids in car seats and was thinking IF we had another I’d be screwed with the s (I pick the kids about 40 percent of the time). Anyhow, so frustrating to go test drive a car and realize you know more than the salesman about the car. Also, she kept trying to sell me on a new car... “a 75D is only 110,000 fully loaded!” Look here crazy lady, I’m seeing cpo model x’s with 17000 miles for 68,000.

I have 3 kids. The 2 oldest have now outgrown the child seats, but I've been on vacation with them all 3 in child seats in my Model S. Not all brands fit that well, but if you look for it, you'll find them.

• Helpful
Reactions: trungsc156
I posted this in another thread, but today I drove an AP2+ car for the first time (a service loaner with AP2.5 and MCU2, my AP1 car is in the shop). On the freeway it felt a lot like AP1 (which is quite good IMHO). AP1's auto windshield wipers are still better. I tried NoA...it's got good potential but you need to look at screens too much to confirm lane changes, in its current form. An audio cue when you need to do this would help (maybe there is one and I didn't know how to enable it?). I was pretty happy with it (though not enough to consider switching from my S85D).

Bruce.