Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AutoPilot 2 Delivery Thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks for sharing @jsherwani. Another question, is there any difference in the rear-view camera display? Hoping there might be some sort of birdseye view type 360 surround camera view now that there are cameras all around.....

I don't think the cameras used on AP2 can be used for 360° view. I have a Volvo XC90 with that feature and the cameras are positioned on very different positions like the front grill and under the side mirrors.

Reactions: pjoseph
I don't think the cameras used on AP2 can be used for 360° view. I have a Volvo XC90 with that feature and the cameras are positioned on very different positions like the front grill and under the side mirrors.

True and a bit of a disappointment. I drove the XC90 for a couple of days when I was considering buying one, and really liked how it was implemented. Maybe the ultrasonic sensors can be used to create an equivalent surround view.

I doubt Tesla will invest any time/resources into creating a surround view camera system for the driver. What is the point if the car can just park itself? We are probably going to get less and less info as self-driving tech improves, not more. (I don't think this is a necessarily a good thing, but it will probably happen, and the average customer won't care as the car will simply drive them where they want, no hassle.)

The way the Nvidia px2 AI (and I assume tesla vision) works is by building 3d models of the area around the vehicle so it can perceive what is happening and act accordingly.

I doubt there is anything stopping tesla from enabling a birds eye view with the position of the cameras, they are positioned in such a way as to provide 360 degrees of coverage for the computer.

whether they want to or find value in adding that as a feature is another story though, Elon has already mentioned that they could enable the cameras as dashcams and recording devices but didnt think people would like them because the cameras only show grey grey grey grey red channels (i assume the backup camera is the exception to that) so a birdseye view would either need to be digitally created in order to make it look good, or it would need to be in greyscale

Go back and look at the one of self-driving demo videos and see how far out the front camera sees. (Hint: it doesn't see anything close to the front of the car so that you can see what you are about to hit with your front bumper.)

Nvidia px2 is the most advanced GPU configuration on the planet atm, I think it might be able to render what it sees with the cameras, radar and sensors into something comparable to the 360 view

• Disagree
Reactions: MP3Mike
Nvidia px2 is the most advanced GPU configuration on the planet atm, I think it might be able to render what it sees with the cameras, radar and sensors into something comparable to the 360 view
I'm sure all agree it could render a 360 degree view. The problem is that it can't see the ground in front of the front bumper. All other 360 degree camera systems that I know of have a camera located at the front of the car.

I'm sure all agree it could render a 360 degree view. The problem is that it can't see the ground in front of the front bumper. All other 360 degree camera systems that I know of have a camera located at the front of the car.
Here's a visual aid:
360 view.png

The 3 cameras located above the rear view mirror can see forward but they would be able to see in the gray area immediately in front of the car. A camera mounted on the bumper or close to it would have a better view and be more useful in a 360 degree bird's eye view in front of the car.

A 360 camera won't be needed. Ultrasonic sensors can pickup areas where the camera cannot.

I am on an AP2 vehicle. No issues with the sensors letting me know about close objects and their distance in inches. When I pull into my very tight single car garage it does a great job at picking up objects on the ground and at waist height.

Maybe they could have a 360 ultrasonic system that works similarly in real-time (an "Always On" toggle) but it really doesn't make a whole lot of sense when the sensors already do a fantastic job on focusing your attention on objects within 12 inches and ignoring further objects while parking.

A 360 camera won't be needed. Ultrasonic sensors can pickup areas where the camera cannot.

I am on an AP2 vehicle. No issues with the sensors letting me know about close objects and their distance in inches. When I pull into my very tight single car garage it does a great job at picking up objects on the ground and at waist height.

Maybe they could have a 360 ultrasonic system that works similarly in real-time (an "Always On" toggle) but it really doesn't make a whole lot of sense when the sensors already do a fantastic job on focusing your attention on objects within 12 inches and ignoring further objects while parking.

while you could do a 360 outline (in theory) of what was around you using the ultrasonic sensors, you would not be able to tell what it was actually picking up. I think the gastowatts's original request/thought was for something like the Volvo video above, which would not be able to be done without a front (in grill / bumper) camera.

While the 360 video is really cool, and I will admit that I could see times that it would be better to know if the thing that was coming close was a nice soft roll of carpet, or a rough concrete wall, mostly I am happy knowing that "something" is there and I just don't want to hit whatever it is. In which case, a 360 outline based on the ultrasonic sensors would be fine.

Ok this thread is already way off track, so I'll shoot:

@Dstrohl got me thinking: You all know the trouble AP1.0 (the israeli cam and the radar) has with hill tops? Like when the car allways seem to want to cross lanes when your passing the top?

That has to do with the fact that they both are pointing up in the sky, reading zip. Only way to fix this, I'd assume, is to have the camera hanging in some mechanics that makes it level out (point more downwards). Or something.

Anyway I can't see how this problem won't also be there withe new AP2.0 cams.

Thoughts?

That has to do with the fact that they both are pointing up in the sky, reading zip. Only way to fix this, I'd assume, is to have the camera hanging in some mechanics that makes it level out (point more downwards). Or something

I'm not sure tilt would solve the problem. I'm assuming it has a reasonably wide view that goes down to the hood of the car already. When a human drives, they tend to make assumptions based on the rest of the environment... like the highway will not just end over the ridge. Of course, on the very rare occasion there is an obstruction over the ridge that assumption may not be the best. The computer isn't quite so bold.

Yeah I guess the so called HD mapping will solve this. However I'm sceptical because (1) the "fleet learning" is garbage on my AP1-car; i have this hill top on my way to work, where I always take over the steering when passing the top. Must have done it a hundred times. (2) Mapping wont save you if there's a car, pedestrian or something else right there above the hill top, just when the camera angle is on it's way down again but too late to see the object you're about to hit. I don't know..

while you could do a 360 outline (in theory) of what was around you using the ultrasonic sensors, you would not be able to tell what it was actually picking up. I think the gastowatts's original request/thought was for something like the Volvo video above, which would not be able to be done without a front (in grill / bumper) camera.

While the 360 video is really cool, and I will admit that I could see times that it would be better to know if the thing that was coming close was a nice soft roll of carpet, or a rough concrete wall, mostly I am happy knowing that "something" is there and I just don't want to hit whatever it is. In which case, a 360 outline based on the ultrasonic sensors would be fine.

The best thing about the 360 view from what I remember was the view of curb alignment while parking - no more curb rash, the bain of my existence.