Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot accident

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was driving my Model 3 on autopilot at night on a stretch of highway with gentle curves. I was driving a bit above the speed limit (what would be regarded as legal, and not result in a ticket). At some point, the car could not negotiate what was a fairly gentle curve, and hit one of the plastic lane dividers. Fortunately, the body damage was minimal but the drivers-side glass just popped out and fell out. It was lost. Nothing broke. The glass just fell off! I contacted Tesla who said they will investigate as check why this happened. Despite multiple tries, I never hear back. They are collecting so much driving data from our vehicles but it seems they can't be bothered to even respond back. Cost estimate is $135 but I have not received any word on what caused it, who is to blame, and who will pay for the damage. Terrible! I don't really trust the autopilot. Now I trust it even less.

Also, when the speed limit changes, the autopilot doesn't seem to adjust the driving speed accordingly. For example, if you are driving in a 65MPH zone, and the autopilot has set max speed at 70MPH, and now you enter a 45MPH zone, the autopilot should reset max speed at 50MPH. It is a simple thing to do but it doesn't do that at this time.

The drivers side glass fell off? Are you talking about a lens for a light? What kind of plastic lane divider are you talking about? What kind of speed zone are you talking about. Did the speed of the road change or did you enter a construction zone?

The drivers side glass fell off? Are you talking about a lens for a light? What kind of plastic lane divider are you talking about? What kind of speed zone are you talking about. Did the speed of the road change or did you enter a construction zone?
This took me a second to figure out. Pretty sure he's talking about the side view mirror glass. He probably hit one of those plastic stanchions. Anyway, autopilot doesn't really see fixed objects reliably, that's one of the many reasons it's BETA software. Personally I recommend people not use it near fixed objects (stanchions, curbs, jersey barriers, stopped trucks, etc.).
IMG_9950-625x468.jpg

who is to blame, and who will pay for the damage.

I'm sorry to say this, but it must be said.... the answer to both questions, is unequivocally, "you."

At all times, you are responsible for the operation of the vehicle. Driver assistance features or not (as Autopilot is) - it's your responsibility to keep the vehicle traveling safely and within its lane of travel.

That may not be a pleasant pill to swallow, but each of us has an obligation to keep the vehicle traveling safely. That's a responsibility to ourselves, to our loved ones, and to those around us.

I'm seeing mixed results. Usually it changes speeds passing the sign but not always.

Bob Wilson
Correct. Because it is using map data. You will find it is consistent on which signs are missed.

Regarding reducing speed - the answer is "it depends".

If you are on a limited access divided highway (freeway, interstate, etc), AP allows you to set the speed to anything you like (remember though, the driver is always responsible). In this case, it will NOT reduce the speed when you pass into a lower speed limit zone. Why? Because it allows you to drive at whatever speed you like.

If you are on a regular road, AP is limited to speed limit + 5. No matter how hard you try, it will not accept a higher setting. In this case, if you hit a lower speed limit zone it will automatically reduce the speed to maintain speed limit + 5.

Bit of an aside, but I'm waiting for all the complaints when FSD is limited to the actual speed limit... Which it should be - otherwise the police will be out picking off Teslas and sending the ticket to corporate. Free money!

I was driving my Model 3 on autopilot at night on a stretch of highway with gentle curves. I was driving a bit above the speed limit (what would be regarded as legal, and not result in a ticket). At some point, the car could not negotiate what was a fairly gentle curve, and hit one of the plastic lane dividers. Fortunately, the body damage was minimal but the drivers-side glass just popped out and fell out. It was lost. Nothing broke. The glass just fell off! I contacted Tesla who said they will investigate as check why this happened. Despite multiple tries, I never hear back. They are collecting so much driving data from our vehicles but it seems they can't be bothered to even respond back. Cost estimate is $135 but I have not received any word on what caused it, who is to blame, and who will pay for the damage. Terrible! I don't really trust the autopilot. Now I trust it even less.

Also, when the speed limit changes, the autopilot doesn't seem to adjust the driving speed accordingly. For example, if you are driving in a 65MPH zone, and the autopilot has set max speed at 70MPH, and now you enter a 45MPH zone, the autopilot should reset max speed at 50MPH. It is a simple thing to do but it doesn't do that at this time.
Sorry for your experience but.....: A) you are to blame, and B) you will end up paying for it. The vehicle being in AP doesn't negate your responsibility as a driver. Also, how is driving above the speed limit regarded as being legal? Just because the flow of traffic might have been above the limit, doesn't mean it is "legal". Bottom line is it could have been a hundred different things that caused you to come into contact with that lane divider, hell maybe DOT placed it just a smidge closer to the lane than the rest of them. But AP is not perfect, nor is it ment to be, hence the multiple warnings that you are ultimately responsible as a licensed driver.

Reactions: electrictorque
You haven't responded to the question of the speed limit in the curve. Below about 30 mph it will barely do the speed limit and not 5-10 mph faster. You didn't say which "drivers side glass" fell out. This is the OPs first post and we need more input.

This is the 2nd post I read about a car on AP making a right turn right into the wall on the right.

Another video shows a nice easy slight turn to the left and the car crosses over into the in coming lane, thank god no one was there for a head on impact.

I refused AP free trial twice, I enjoy driving my own car.

Fred

Reactions: ricohman
You should always be paying attention. Just today I was on a narrow road with cars parked on the side and this one person had his door wide open into near the center of the lane. I wasn't on AP but I'm not too certain that it would have stopped.

This is the 2nd post I read about a car on AP making a right turn right into the wall on the right.

Another video shows a nice easy slight turn to the left and the car crosses over into the in coming lane, thank god no one was there for a head on impact.

I refused AP free trial twice, I enjoy driving my own car.

Fred
I hear that. In my experience, it can be safer to be the one doing the driving. I know that for a fact. I did see "2001: A Space Odyssey." Get in the right seat, HAL. ;)