Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot and Exit Lanes

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
i thought that this would be improved with time, but its so annoying when the autopilot diverts you to an exit lane to the right rather than continue on the straight path ahead. this always causes stress for me when im driving in the right lane. anyone else have these problems as well? is this supposed to be fixed?

As far as I can tell, everyone else has these problems. I cope with it by holding the wheel firmly when I approach an exit lane. It didn't take more than a few hours of road time before it became reflexive, I don't have to think about it any more.

As far as I can tell, everyone else has these problems. I cope with it by holding the wheel firmly when I approach an exit lane. It didn't take more than a few hours of road time before it became reflexive, I don't have to think about it any more.
I have this problem less than 10% of the time, but around here exit lanes are always across a dotted line, so the only time I have an issue seems to be if the gap from the white line to the dotted line as the white line turns off is longer than usual.

I have this problem less than 10% of the time, but around here exit lanes are always across a dotted line, so the only time I have an issue seems to be if the gap from the white line to the dotted line as the white line turns off is longer than usual.

I hadn't meant to suggest it happens all the time, I agree it's dependent on how the exits are painted.

So here's an interesting example. I travel on the DC Beltway (495) in the right most lane. As I go past the exit for I-66 on the right, the car stays in the correct lane and does NOT dive for the lane on the right. Notice how the lane splits and there is no dotted line. I am not using GPS or Nav.

I can't figure out why the car doesn't dive to the right here but does do so randomly even when there are dotted lines. Even more confusingly, it seems to learn from its mistake when I have to override a lane dive, but then it randomly forgets a week or two later.

Beltway_66.jpg

The other problem with the dotted line is that the car can't change lanes into the exit lane, you have to disengage AP. AP treats the dotted line like it does a solid line.

Reactions: jkennebeck
The other problem with the dotted line is that the car can't change lanes into the exit lane, you have to disengage AP. AP treats the dotted line like it does a solid line.
Depends how long the dotted line goes on for, if it's long the car can change across it, if it's sort it doesn't have time to recognise it as a lane. Of course using ap on the exit isn't a great idea anyway.

Depends how long the dotted line goes on for, if it's long the car can change across it, if it's sort it doesn't have time to recognise it as a lane. Of course using ap on the exit isn't a great idea anyway.

Don't think so... I've tried it multiple times over dotted exit lines, and it has never crossed with the turn signal on (and I even tried turning it off, waiting and turning it back on).

I have only had the car a little over a week but each and every exit lane I've passed on the freeway when I'm in the far right lane my Tesla has maintained a straight line with maybe a slight move to the exit but the movement is minimal. In CA, at least on the bay area freeways, the exit ramp just opens up with a gap.

Jeff

Mine has improved over time with left hand turn bump outs on rural roads. I would either disengage or coax it into staying straight. Took a could weeks and now it seems to understand. But it seems to still want to aggressively get into right turn bump outs. Very aggressively. Just did it today. Very annoying because it isn't subtle at all.