Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot and Trust

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, you can disengage AS while keeping TACC engaged. I don't do this often so I might be wrong, but if you yank the wheel to change lanes manually then I believe TACC remains engaged.

I haven't tried, but I've read that you can signal and then manually switch lanes and your car won't resist. I think AS may remain engaged in this case.

I typically push the stalk up then down once to re-egage TACC. I'm not sure you can disengage AS without also disengaging TACC. The manual isn't really clear about that.

with my basic autopilot engaged, when i signal to change lanes, autopilot bing-bongs the "I'm off autopilot" chime and there's no resistance to turning the steering wheel to change lanes. TACC stays engaged. i signal again to get back in the driving lane (typically this scenario is on the interstate, passing slower vehicles), then engage Autopilot again. rinse and repeat.

If i fail to signal and steer into the passing lane with basic autopilot engaged, there's resistance, but the same bing-bong chime telling me auotpilot is dis-engaged. TACC still remains on.

I'd really like basic autopilot to add the lane-change feature...but, alas, that is part of the 10 grand i will never spend on Full Self driving.

Reactions: mark95476
I love my Model 3 and use the AP when ever possible. The problem I have is I’ll be traveling at around 75 mph on the interstate and the AP is on, I have both hands on the wheel and the warning comes on for me to have “hands on the wheel” and they are. Then after getting the warning several times the warning comes on “ auto drive turned off for rest of this trip”. I travel a 180 mile trip frequently non stop and when this happens I generally just continue on with out the AP ,but aggravated. Any ideas?

I love my Model 3 and use the AP when ever possible. The problem I have is I’ll be traveling at around 75 mph on the interstate and the AP is on, I have both hands on the wheel and the warning comes on for me to have “hands on the wheel” and they are. Then after getting the warning several times the warning comes on “ auto drive turned off for rest of this trip”. I travel a 180 mile trip frequently non stop and when this happens I generally just continue on with out the AP ,but aggravated. Any ideas?
Only put one hand on the the wheel around the 8 or 4 o'clock position. This applies a small force (torque to be precise) to the steering wheel and this will satisfy the AP. You may need to experiment the exact position and your arm position for comfort. I rest my left arm/elbow on the door handle and hold the wheel just below the 9 o'clock position and can go 1.5 hours on AP without a single warning.

Turn a scroll wheel... like volume up one, down one... to let it know you're there.

Reactions: Majiik
It's beta so one should never trust it completely. For me the most harrowing time is exiting the interstate. It takes the exit at full highway speed and decelerates JUST before the sharp turn on the exit ramp, doesn't see or recognize the speed limit sign for the exit ramp. Each time I feel like it is going to crash, but it decelerates rapidly and just makes the turn. Keeps my heart rate up!

The late braking for stopped traffic still gets me. I left my follow distance set to the default as well.

It's beta so one should never trust it completely. For me the most harrowing time is exiting the interstate. It takes the exit at full highway speed and decelerates JUST before the sharp turn on the exit ramp, doesn't see or recognize the speed limit sign for the exit ramp. Each time I feel like it is going to crash, but it decelerates rapidly and just makes the turn. Keeps my heart rate up!

I think people in this thread are expecting way too much of the current AP. I think it's Tesla's fault for making us believe it is a lot more capable/reliable than it really is.

My expectation is that it behaves as an adaptive cruise control and autosteer with some limited additional functionality, such as slowing down in curves that are not too extreme.

Just holding the wheel is not sufficient nor required. You have to occasionally apply toque by slightly turning the wheel to meet the sensor requirement. Perhaps not the most intuitive or desired but that’s what’s needed.

Since new software release I have noticed my car will decelerate rather abruptly when it "see's" a car approaching rapidly from the rear...I drive to work at 4am and there are cars moving fast with the open freeway...it is disconcerting for my car in Autopilot to actually slow down so quickly when a car is bearing down on me - really odd...

Your habits, tolerances, and the FSD behavior will all change/drift over time.

my preference would also be for a more sluggish take off from the line, and a more coasting taper to a stop. I must do at least 400 miles weekly with auto steer and NoA in rural, suburban and highway and how I do operate now is not the same as 1 year ago.

Does having the car in "chill" mode make it less aggressive on starting when AP is engaged in stop and go traffic?

Keith

I have asked myself the same thing many times but never did the experiment or found out the answer. And then I remember I like the acceleration when it’s me driving so it becomes moot

Yeah, I never really understood chill mode myself... if I don't want to accelerate quickly I don't press the skinny pedal as hard as I would press it if I DO want to accelerate hard. Since I have control of my right foot, I don't need chill mode.

I wish you had separate drive modes for AP... less aggressive AP so you don't run up to stopped traffic and then stand on the brake, and don't slam on the gas when traffic starts moving again would be nice.

Keith

Reactions: spokey and Jeff N
I’ve had my car since mid February and have already taken a few short trips which have allowed me to get some seat time with Autopilot. I’m definitely a picky driver and enjoy being in control, so this took some getting used to. Had a few thoughts...

For general highway driving at consistent speeds, it’s amazing! I love it.

I was shocked at how well it worked in stop and go traffic as well. This is by far the biggest selling point! The acceleration from a stop is about 25% more aggressive than I’d like, but I can live with that.

What I still struggle with is when I’m cruising along at 70mph and I see traffic stopped up ahead. I KNOW my car will stop me in time, but I’m typically an early braker in these situations, and hurdling towards stopped traffic at full speed until the last minute is terrifying to me. So I’ve been disengaging AP so I can slow down at my own pace and then reenabling it once in the traffic to take me from there.

Anyone else feel the same?

I was on the fence about FSD when I first bought the car but now I’m glad I didn’t get it. I just don’t trust the car to do anything “FULL”.

Fully concur with everything you said. I have owned my MY for 10 months and experienced everything you mentioned. I do wish the car would read the traffic IN FRONT and BEHIND YOU and tailor the braking to be LESS Mad Max. But on long interstate trips AP is fabulous.