Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot and Trust

mark95476

Jun 21, 2020
Bay Area CA
Yes, you can disengage AS while keeping TACC engaged. I don't do this often so I might be wrong, but if you yank the wheel to change lanes manually then I believe TACC remains engaged.

I haven't tried, but I've read that you can signal and then manually switch lanes and your car won't resist. I think AS may remain engaged in this case.

I typically push the stalk up then down once to re-egage TACC. I'm not sure you can disengage AS without also disengaging TACC. The manual isn't really clear about that.

finman100

Feb 4, 2016
Albany, OR
with my basic autopilot engaged, when i signal to change lanes, autopilot bing-bongs the "I'm off autopilot" chime and there's no resistance to turning the steering wheel to change lanes. TACC stays engaged. i signal again to get back in the driving lane (typically this scenario is on the interstate, passing slower vehicles), then engage Autopilot again. rinse and repeat.

If i fail to signal and steer into the passing lane with basic autopilot engaged, there's resistance, but the same bing-bong chime telling me auotpilot is dis-engaged. TACC still remains on.

I'd really like basic autopilot to add the lane-change feature...but, alas, that is part of the 10 grand i will never spend on Full Self driving.

Reactions: mark95476

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC