Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AutoPilot Buddy now officially banned in USA!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was just thinking the other day that I needed a way to watch Harry Potter on my phone, nag free, while I cruised under autopilot. Maybe catch a nap too.
51ydlyt641L._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-big,TopRight,35,-73_OU01_SS75_SS75_.jpg

Darwin: The Five Essential Works
by Charles Darwin
Link: http://a.co/dHUpLG8

Reactions: jacobp
Looks like they've posted the 'cell phone holder' otherwise known as 'not an autopilot buddy'

073bd5_d4bcf56d74e3426e886de63b91df1a1a~mv2_d_1500_1341_s_2.webp

Not sure how they get away with this legally with the NHTSA.

I won't post a link, but you know where to find it. Also, don't let the "Email must match paypal" and "signature name must match paypal" fields scare anyone away. You can literally put anything in there (hint: use a made up @yahoo.com address). It's just yet another (not surprising) phenomenally deceptive business practice to capture peoples' email addresses.

I am confused. It says AP Buddy is not available for US addresses.

But Cell Phone holder is available for US residents and it is looks exactly like AP Buddy with an extra provision for attaching a cellphone. Is Cell Phone holder AutoPilot Buddy in disguise?

Now this is also really strange for an e-commerce website.

If you look at their page to buy "cell phone holder", the paypal link is inside a very small and odd iframe.

upload_2018-8-25_13-8-4.png

Looking at the webpage source, the iframe source goes to a URL like this:

httpx://www-autopilotbuddy-com.filesusr.com/html/xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.html

So I wonder if Paypal blocked e-commerce transactions from their own autopilotbuddy-dot-com domain name?

There's really no other reason to obscure the domain unless it's being blocked by Paypal.

I am confused. It says AP Buddy is not available for US addresses.

It's not. They aren't selling APB in the US.

But Cell Phone holder is available for US residents and it is looks exactly like AP Buddy with an extra provision for attaching a cellphone. Is Cell Phone holder AutoPilot Buddy in disguise?

Yeah, isn't that interesting?! Don't forget they actually say the cell phone holder is "not an Autopilot Buddy" just like Elon Musk sold his "Not a flamethrower" to get past import/export laws. Notice their bolding of "Not an" below.

upload_2018-8-25_13-14-53.png

**NOTE: I am not equating the makers of APB to Elon Musk.

• Informative
Reactions: MelaniainLA
Looks like they've posted the 'cell phone holder' otherwise known as 'not an autopilot buddy'

073bd5_d4bcf56d74e3426e886de63b91df1a1a~mv2_d_1500_1341_s_2.webp

Not sure how they get away with this legally with the NHTSA.

I won't post a link, but you know where to find it. Also, don't let the "Email must match paypal" and "signature name must match paypal" fields scare anyone away. You can literally put anything in there (hint: use a made up @yahoo.com address). It's just yet another (not surprising) phenomenally deceptive business practice to capture peoples' email addresses.

Cell phone holder that mounts on the steering wheel? Lol
Curious how long they'll be able to sell the "cell phone holder".

Reactions: HankLloydRight
Cell phone holder that mounts on the steering wheel? Lol
Curious how long they'll be able to sell the "cell phone holder".

Interesting risk they are taking here as they will not really be able to claim the product was used in an unintended and unforeseen way if there is a lawsuit based on it's use. It's even worse now that they advertise it as a cell phone holder as the user can now argue they bought and were using it for that purpose and they did not realize the nags would be eliminated when it is used causing an unsafe condition for them. Let's see.

Interesting risk they are taking here as they will not really be able to claim the product was used in an unintended and unforeseen way if there is a lawsuit based on it's use. It's even worse now that they advertise it as a cell phone holder as the user can now argue they bought and were using it for that purpose and they did not realize the nags would be eliminated when it is used causing an unsafe condition for them. Let's see.

I'm hoping they at least consulted a lawyer before plunging ahead with the "cell phone holder" sales. 50/50 odds they didn't.

Reactions: NewTMSMan
Hello all,
Having been embroiled with the auto pilot buddy debacle for months now, I decided to see if there were new posts on the matter.
Between our group we own a 2015 S, a 2018 S, and a 2018 M3.
The original auto pilot buddy for model S works as intended on the 2015. Curiously, on the 2018 S, we still experienced nags. With a 1 pound dive weight, however, nags were eliminated. So we conducted an experiment and begin attaching weights in gram increments (US coins). I don’t remember exactly – this was months ago – but weight of auto pilot buddy was about 11 ounces. We got up to over 12 ounces and still experienced nags on the 2018 S. The auto pilot buddy unit was returned. (We kept the second one for the 2015 S).
I had pre-ordered the auto pilot buddy for the model three before it was banned. I received the disclaimer (post#198 by HankLloydRight), and signed it. I received notice that my package would be shipped shortly. When it didn’t arrive after several weeks, I contacted the company and was informed regretfully the unit was banned; however, in development was the #1776 Cell Phone Holder for the model three, and would I like to purchase one? We ordered a cell phone holder for the 2018 S as well.
The units arrived yesterday, and, like the auto pilot buddy for the S we were fortunate enough to have received before the ban, it is sleek and well-designed, attaching seamlessly to the wheel. No comparison to a velcro’d dive weight (or an orange).
The cell phone holder performed as intended on the model three. Unfortunately, the 2018 S experienced the same issue it had with the auto pilot buddy. It may be helpful to know the cell phone holder for the model 3 weighs 10.8 ounces on my scale, while, curiously, the unit for the S weighs only 3.5 ounces. We are told there is a second upgraded version of the model S cell phone holder; no other details are available.

We drive frequently between Nevada and California for business. For us, the cell phone holder is an essential piece of equipment for any long road trip. The lower level of fatigue and conservation of energy in itself makes the drive safer in my opinion.
I personally feel the aesthetics and ease of use of this custom made device is worth the cost. We used the strapped-on dive weight in the model three for many months and though it functioned perfectly, for me, the aesthetics were suboptimal. Plus it needed tightening up regularly as it would start to slip and spin on the steering wheel.
If you are considering the #1776 cell phone holder, I highly recommend this product. I guess I should also say we have absolutely no affiliation with the manufacturer or any of its employees. Just Tesla enthusiasts excited about any advance in technology!

• Funny
  • Informative
Reactions: bro1999 and MIT_S60
So glad this is outlawed.

I don't know who thought this was a brilliant idea. Any efforts to subvert Tesla's attempts to ensure drivers pay attention, as imperfect as those attempt might be, is absolutely reckless. This is a danger not just to the Tesla driver and the occupants but those outside the vehicle as well.

I hope this sets a precedent and is the end of devices that try to defect Tesla's safety checks.

Things like this are the reason we can't have nice things!

So when Tesla didn't have nags, they were as negligent as the people making this product? Because all this does is return to that setup. Or is it that whatever the NTSB says is infallible, even when it changes. Since the Feds are God, we must slavishly do whatever they think is best for us.

Also, none of the people that crashed their Teslas while in Autopilot mode had one of these devices on their car. It was the crashing idiots that created the nags, not the nag-defeaters.