Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot crowding the right side of the lane?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Am I the only one who finds that autopilot always positions the car more toward the right side of the lane than in the center? It's not going over the line marker, but it is closer than I would prefer, say 1-2 feet in a 15 foot wide lane. It makes for some scary moments, particularly with large trucks crowding the left side of the adjacent lane.

So glad you said this, because I thought I was the only one who thought this! Yes, I agree. It is too far over to the right side of the lane, even though the display on the dash shows the car as being in the center? Hopefully this will get fixed in a future update.

It "feels" like I'm crowding left too but when I look through the rear camera I'm dead center. Could it be not only our habit of staying slightly left but also of our seating position when in fact the car is perfectly centered?

My car rides perfectly center unless there are cars too far over in the adjacent lanes (this is documented in the manual.) Perhaps your cameras are slightly misaligned? Or the steering? I haven't completely thought out the physics...

I have seen the same effect, particularly when I'm in the left-most HOV lanes. There is a jersey barrier to my immediate left, and the car hogs the right side of the lane. I think this logic was programmed so that if I had an oversized vehicle (semi, dump truck, etc.) in an adjacent lane, the car would leave more space with that adjoining lane. When I have several miles of jersey barriers to one side, this becomes super annoying though.

I have observed that the car rides in the center of the lane (assuming it can see both lines) except:

1) If you are in a lane next to a curb or other "semi-permanent" obstruction (meaning an obstruction that is more than just momentary), it tends to bias to the side of the lane away from that obstruction.

2) If there is a semi-permanent obstruction on one side and another semi-permanent obstruction on the other side, I believe it would center out although I haven't encountered this yet.

3) If there is a semi-permanent obstruction on one side and a vehicle on the other, it tends to bias toward the vehicle.

4) If there are vehicles on both sides, I think it adjusts depending on where they are and how long they've been there.

IMHO it's biasing too far. Looking at the dash, my mirror is just slightly inside the lane marker. I'd rather be a little closer to the curb (which isn't going to veer) than the car next to me.

I have observed that the car rides in the center of the lane (assuming it can see both lines) except:

1) If you are in a lane next to a curb or other "semi-permanent" obstruction (meaning an obstruction that is more than just momentary), it tends to bias to the side of the lane away from that obstruction.

2) If there is a semi-permanent obstruction on one side and another semi-permanent obstruction on the other side, I believe it would center out although I haven't encountered this yet.

3) If there is a semi-permanent obstruction on one side and a vehicle on the other, it tends to bias toward the vehicle.

4) If there are vehicles on both sides, I think it adjusts depending on where they are and how long they've been there.

IMHO it's biasing too far. Looking at the dash, my mirror is just slightly inside the lane marker. I'd rather be a little closer to the curb (which isn't going to veer) than the car next to me.

This is exactly my experience.

I completely agree. I've had to take over control a few times when it got close enough to an 18-wheeler in the right lane that the side sensors were almost turning red. It's gotten a little too right lane biased for me on a few occasions.

Am I the only one who finds that autopilot always positions the car more toward the right side of the lane than in the center? It's not going over the line marker, but it is closer than I would prefer, say 1-2 feet in a 15 foot wide lane. It makes for some scary moments, particularly with large trucks crowding the left side of the adjacent lane.

I'm experiencing this as well, with one exception...when I'm in the fast lane using autopilot and there's a retaining wall relatively close, the car tends to hug the left side of the lane, towards the wall. It's very disconcerting, as it gives you very little reaction time for those instances when AP goes wonky and steers you into something. I'm at the point where I'm not using the system anymore when there's fairly heavy traffic or when I'm in a lane near a retaining wall. It's a pretty useless system at this point given all the safety problems.

So far for me it is keeping the car fairly well centered. My natural tendency is to stay toward the left side of the lane, so it feels to me as if it is hugging the right side.
Yes, I have found that after decades of driving I am biasing toward the left side of the lane! On AP, the dash display shows centered. When I shift my focus to the centerline of the car, I see that it is correct. I never realized I was doing that.

And, yes, if there are Jersey barriers AP seems to offset toward the other side of the lane.

To me if feels that it is hugging the center line in a two lane road. I usually hug the outside line and it is slightly closer to the center line every time I turn it on. Maybe it is different depending on how many lanes there are?