Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot demo, city streets, curves, highway and bumper to bumper traffic

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Great video! Liked the camera position. Was a bit hesitant watching the sifting through the papers in bumper to bumper traffic, will take getting used to seeing people do that I guess.

Thanks Brooks. Great vid. Watched it in 1080p on the big screen. Cracked open a bottle of my best homebrew (Indian Summer Pale Ale).

I think this is the start of something very big for Tesla. We willing soon have forgotten and forgiven the year long wait. "Worth waiting for" as they say.

I'm just so excited right now as a TSLA investor and MX reservation holder. A tiny bit bummed my S is from 2013... But I still love her! :)

Nothing negative really, just a tad of constrictive criticism: they overlay video of the instrument panel was lagging about 1-1.5 seconds behind the main video feed.

One more thing: would have loved for you to unbuckle and push yourself up off the seat going 75 mph on the freeway. Would have liked to see how the car reacted. I'm sure the drama would be minimal.

thanks! I was rushed a bit, a lot going on today and just wanted to get a video out there.... Can't believe I forgot to turn the camera back on when I got pulled over, the officer basically jumped into the middle of the highway and flagged me to pull over... I was in full get out ticket mode after that... :)

I did take off my seat belt with auto pilot on, while stopped, the car disabled autopilot and put the car in park....

More than once you mentioned that the car detected that the speed limit had changed, but the car's speed did not change. Since that was how TACC worked, I would not have expected Autopilot to be any different. As you demonstrated more than once, we frequently choose to set the cruise control at speeds either above or below the posted limit.

Still glad you didn't get a ticket, but I wouldn't have put the responsibility for that one on the car for any reason other than it's sooooo easy to go sneaky fast in such a quiet highway cruiser. :wink:

Fiksegts, outstanding video....I'll be showing this to friends who ask about it!

- - - Updated - - -

More than once you mentioned that the car detected that the speed limit had changed, but the car's speed did not change. Since that was how TACC worked, I would not have expected Autopilot to be any different. As you demonstrated more than once, we frequently choose to set the cruise control at speeds either above or below the posted limit.

Still glad you didn't get a ticket, but I wouldn't have put the responsibility for that one on the car for any reason other than it's sooooo easy to go sneaky fast in such a quiet highway cruiser. :wink:

The automatic speed changes will probably come later.

I think Tesla's being prudent in only introducing a little of this at a time. Baby steps, for safety reasons (although this is really a giant leap!)

thanks!

i will only ask you to put your hands on the wheel if it has trouble detecting the road, etc (as far as I can tell)....

Yea, outstanding video. Really gives me the best overview yet of just how it works. Though I still can't figure out if the press people were given a firmware version that allows them to be fully hands-off while the public release requires a hand on the wheel.

- - - Updated - - -

i had the gopro's off.... and I just remembered my dash cam, just pulled that card and it hasn't been recording for a week! (POS!)

Where's the part where you got pulled over?

Yea, outstanding video. Really gives me the best overview yet of just how it works. Though I still can't figure out if the press people were given a firmware version that allows them to be fully hands-off while the public release requires a hand on the wheel.

Not sure what you're talking about. Hands on the wheel are only required when the car can't detect where to go. They are not required otherwise, press or public

+1000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

Best video of the recent release --- I am so excited about this.

Elon and Company ----- WELL DONE!!!!!!!!!!

+1

thanks! I was rushed a bit, a lot going on today and just wanted to get a video out there.... Can't believe I forgot to turn the camera back on when I got pulled over, the officer basically jumped into the middle of the highway and flagged me to pull over... I was in full get out ticket mode after that... :smile:

I did take off my seat belt with auto pilot on, while stopped, the car disabled autopilot and put the car in park....

Thanks for posting the great video, hopefully, many more are coming, even if the recording captures a bit compromising events

Still confused here. That's not a divided highway. Is it supposed to be hands-off or hands-on? In that "Tesla Autopilot tried to kill me" video on YouTube, the guy got pilloried by the Internet for driving in conditions similar to this. Looks like this drive went fine, but what if the AP malfunctions and it steers you into one of those oncoming cars?

Still confused here. That's not a divided highway. Is it supposed to be hands-off or hands-on? In that "Tesla Autopilot tried to kill me" video on YouTube, the guy got pilloried by the Internet for driving in conditions similar to this. Looks like this drive went fine, but what if the AP malfunctions and it steers you into one of those oncoming cars?
Unless the car can't figure out how to steer, it never requires you to have your hands on the wheel.

The issue with driving on local roads is that the autosteering can very suddenly make a dangerous move, such as veering into another lane, off the road, etc. Highways are a much more predictable and sensor friendly environment.

Unless the car can't figure out how to steer, it never requires you to have your hands on the wheel.

The issue with driving on local roads is that the autosteering can very suddenly make a dangerous move, such as veering into another lane, off the road, etc. Highways are a much more predictable and sensor friendly environment.
Okay, thanks. So I take it we shouldn't be encouraging people to drive the way the OP did in this video.