TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Autopilot demo, city streets, curves, highway and bumper to bumper traffic

Discussion in 'Video' started by fiksegts, Oct 15, 2015.

1. fiksegts

fiksegts Active Member

#1 fiksegts, Oct 15, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2016
    and got pulled over by florida highway patrol!

2. 1208

1208 Active Member

Great video! Liked the camera position. Was a bit hesitant watching the sifting through the papers in bumper to bumper traffic, will take getting used to seeing people do that I guess.

3. muleferg

muleferg Member

Thanks for posting. Very good.

4. Johan

Johan Took a TSLA bear test. Came back negative.

Thanks Brooks. Great vid. Watched it in 1080p on the big screen. Cracked open a bottle of my best homebrew (Indian Summer Pale Ale).

I think this is the start of something very big for Tesla. We willing soon have forgotten and forgiven the year long wait. "Worth waiting for" as they say.

I'm just so excited right now as a TSLA investor and MX reservation holder. A tiny bit bummed my S is from 2013... But I still love her! :)

Nothing negative really, just a tad of constrictive criticism: they overlay video of the instrument panel was lagging about 1-1.5 seconds behind the main video feed.

One more thing: would have loved for you to unbuckle and push yourself up off the seat going 75 mph on the freeway. Would have liked to see how the car reacted. I'm sure the drama would be minimal.

5. fiksegts

fiksegts Active Member

thanks! I was rushed a bit, a lot going on today and just wanted to get a video out there.... Can't believe I forgot to turn the camera back on when I got pulled over, the officer basically jumped into the middle of the highway and flagged me to pull over... I was in full get out ticket mode after that... :)

I did take off my seat belt with auto pilot on, while stopped, the car disabled autopilot and put the car in park....

6. efusco

efusco Moderator - Model S & X forums

Yea, outstanding video. Really gives me the best overview yet of just how it works. Though I still can't figure out if the press people were given a firmware version that allows them to be fully hands-off while the public release requires a hand on the wheel.

7. ibdb

ibdb 3 Car Garage and a 5 Car Life

More than once you mentioned that the car detected that the speed limit had changed, but the car's speed did not change. Since that was how TACC worked, I would not have expected Autopilot to be any different. As you demonstrated more than once, we frequently choose to set the cruise control at speeds either above or below the posted limit.

Still glad you didn't get a ticket, but I wouldn't have put the responsibility for that one on the car for any reason other than it's sooooo easy to go sneaky fast in such a quiet highway cruiser. :wink:

8. Todd Burch

Todd Burch Electron Pilot

Fiksegts, outstanding video....I'll be showing this to friends who ask about it!

- - - Updated - - -

The automatic speed changes will probably come later.

I think Tesla's being prudent in only introducing a little of this at a time. Baby steps, for safety reasons (although this is really a giant leap!)

9. DougH

DougH Active Member

Where's the part where you got pulled over?

10. fiksegts

fiksegts Active Member

thanks!

i will only ask you to put your hands on the wheel if it has trouble detecting the road, etc (as far as I can tell)....

- - - Updated - - -

i had the gopro's off.... and I just remembered my dash cam, just pulled that card and it hasn't been recording for a week! (POS!)

11. DougH

DougH Active Member

Bummer. You should edit that from your thread.

12. jimmyjohn

jimmyjohn Member

+1000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

Best video of the recent release --- I am so excited about this.

Elon and Company ----- WELL DONE!!!!!!!!!!

13. eclipxe

eclipxe Member

Not sure what you're talking about. Hands on the wheel are only required when the car can't detect where to go. They are not required otherwise, press or public

14. Auzie

Auzie Tree Hugger Member

+1

Thanks for posting the great video, hopefully, many more are coming, even if the recording captures a bit compromising events

15. the_donjuan

the_donjuan Member

Good video. It's scary to think that our children will have cars driving for them. I can't wait to try this out myself.

16. Caligula

Caligula Member

Nooooooooooo... its 10000000x LESS scary then teenagers driving themselves!

17. Armadillos

Armadillos Member

Great video, thanks for posting!

18. Breezy

Breezy Member

Still confused here. That's not a divided highway. Is it supposed to be hands-off or hands-on? In that "Tesla Autopilot tried to kill me" video on YouTube, the guy got pilloried by the Internet for driving in conditions similar to this. Looks like this drive went fine, but what if the AP malfunctions and it steers you into one of those oncoming cars?

19. RDoc

RDoc S85D

Unless the car can't figure out how to steer, it never requires you to have your hands on the wheel.

The issue with driving on local roads is that the autosteering can very suddenly make a dangerous move, such as veering into another lane, off the road, etc. Highways are a much more predictable and sensor friendly environment.

20. Breezy

Breezy Member

Okay, thanks. So I take it we shouldn't be encouraging people to drive the way the OP did in this video.