Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm guessing what happened was I took it off EAP via stalk and not break. Or I just took over the wheel. I don't honestly remember. But I know it did start to rapidly speed up around the turn and was at over 50 mph before I slowed it down. I've had it "race" on me a couple times sense, and it's always after I've turned EAP off and TACC was still on. I am not sure the process that has caused it because it's not something I was paying attention to going up to the moment. If it ever happens again I will make sure to document what exact steps I took. It would be great to have some of this data available to us even at an aggregated level so that we could tell what actions we took...but I'm sure would never happen due to legal ramifications.
Here's a thought. Perhaps when you thought you were disengaging EAP, you pushed the stalk down. This does not disengage EAP. You must push the stalk up, I think.

Here are the images from the crash:
Wharton, K Discovery 17 17.jpeg Wharton, K Discovery 18 18.jpeg Wharton, K Discovery 23 23.jpeg Wharton, K Discovery 21 21.jpeg Wharton, K Discovery 20 20.jpeg Wharton, K Discovery 19 19.jpeg Wharton, K Discovery 24 24.jpeg Wharton, K Discovery 15 15.jpeg

so these unintended accelerations are missing one point - physics. The brake is a physical metal bar that connects to a physical tube filled with hydraulic fluid that connects to a physical caliper / pad / rotor. While there is electronic assist, the brakes will work without the electronic assist, and the way that the electronic assist is implemented it is physically impossible for it to cause you to not be able to brake. What this means is that NO MATTER WHAT, if you hit the brakes, the car will stop. You are literally applying a clamp to the wheels directly and without the computer being able to intervene.

On top of this, even at maximum torque of both motors, the brakes are able to rapidly and quickly stop the car. So lets say even if the car accelerated on its own, for the sake of argument. Your foot on the brake would 100% overpower the motor immediately. brakes are EXTREMELY powerful

There is literally no other way around this.

So the second you felt the car accelerating not the way you wanted it to, you hit the brakes and stop the car. period. if it is legitimately accelerating on its own, turn it off while you have the brake down and call for a tow.

In no scenario does the car "drive itself into a tree/fence". It means you didn't hit the brake or if you did, you didn't hold the brake down.

Regarding the bad weather message from autopilot - I get this all day long here in new england every time it thinks about raining. unrelated.

so these unintended accelerations are missing one point - physics. The brake is a physical metal bar that connects to a physical tube filled with hydraulic fluid that connects to a physical caliper / pad / rotor. While there is electronic assist, the brakes will work without the electronic assist, and the way that the electronic assist is implemented it is physically impossible for it to cause you to not be able to brake. What this means is that NO MATTER WHAT, if you hit the brakes, the car will stop. You are literally applying a clamp to the wheels directly and without the computer being able to intervene.

On top of this, even at maximum torque of both motors, the brakes are able to rapidly and quickly stop the car. So lets say even if the car accelerated on its own, for the sake of argument. Your foot on the brake would 100% overpower the motor immediately. brakes are EXTREMELY powerful

There is literally no other way around this.

So the second you felt the car accelerating not the way you wanted it to, you hit the brakes and stop the car. period. if it is legitimately accelerating on its own, turn it off while you have the brake down and call for a tow.

In no scenario does the car "drive itself into a tree/fence". It means you didn't hit the brake or if you did, you didn't hold the brake down.

Regarding the bad weather message from autopilot - I get this all day long here in new england every time it thinks about raining. unrelated.

Tesla cars are electromechanical.

The braking force is controlled on each brake caliper independently by the car computer. The actuator is entirely electrical. The movement of the caliper is measured and fed back to the computer. This enables the following features:

1. Very low latency time in controlling the braking force.
  2. After braking, the friction material is automatically lifted away from the disk rotors to avoid drag. (In hydraulic braking systems the brakes drag slightly and waste energy).
  3. Transparent integration of regenerative braking and friction braking.
  4. Traction control without any limited slip differential. (In fact the high torque from the electric motors would break a limited slip differential).
  5. Anti-lock braking (ABS)
  6. Diagnostics

The turn it off part that Joel mentions is not an innate move that you would do if under stress or sliding or whatnot. Just as the Toyota unintended acceleration situation would have been solved if the drivers turned the key back to stall the engine, they didn't.

Tesla cars are electromechanical.

The braking force is controlled on each brake caliper independently by the car computer. The actuator is entirely electrical. The movement of the caliper is measured and fed back to the computer...
In order for what you're saying to be true there would have to have been a simultaneous failure of the entire braking system and the traffic aware cruise control system. Or .... you pressed the wrong pedal. We'll know for sure when Tesla pulls the logs and reports their findings, unless you're going to say the logs failed too, like the last guy did.

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
Here it is, maybe we can read this one and avoid another 20 pages in this thread ...
Sudden Unexpected Acceleration today
This sounds remarkably familiar.

Did they ever get a resolution to what happened?

I just want to get to the bottom of this and have Tesla make sure this isn't a bug.
I'm not interested in monetary gain (I'm already ordering a new Tesla).

This sounds remarkably familiar.

Did they ever get a resolution to what happened?

I just want to get to the bottom of this and have Tesla make sure this isn't a bug.
I'm not interested in monetary gain (I'm already ordering a new Tesla).
IIRC, in every case, they found that the driver pushed the accelerator instead of the brake pedal.

• Informative
Reactions: T-Will
In order for what you're saying to be true there would have to have been a simultaneous failure of the entire braking system and the traffic aware cruise control system. Or .... you pressed the wrong pedal. We'll know for sure when Tesla pulls the logs and reports their findings, unless you're going to say the logs failed too, like the last guy did.

I trust their logs but I would like a third party to do the analysis.