Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot fail with lane splitting

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I drive a 2 lane highway regularly where the one lane often splits into overtake zones and then merges. The autopilot generally starts in the middle and then suddenly swerves into the left lane. Using the blinker doesn't help. Then the merge isn't handled well. I always have to take it off autopilot when the lane splits and then again during the merge. I guess it is not a priority for Tesla to work on this......

Reactions: SlimJim
I drive a 2 lane highway regularly where the one lane often splits into overtake zones and then merges. The autopilot generally starts in the middle and then suddenly swerves into the left lane. Using the blinker doesn't help. Then the merge isn't handled well. I always have to take it off autopilot when the lane splits and then again during the merge. I guess it is not a priority for Tesla to work on this......

This is a fairly frequent problem. The autopilot tries to center in lane, but when a lane is splitting into two, it often moves to the center of the widened lane and then jumps out of the center abruptly when the new lane divider appears in the middle.

I'd much prefer if it stuck to either the right of the left lane marker when such a split begins.

Some areas where this happens tome have improved over the many version updates I've had...others have not.

It used to also have a problem when lanes merged... It would try to "center" into the wider section of road where two lanes have merged, only to have to come back into line shortly later. This problem has mostly been resolved.

My experience is that Autopilot prefers going to the left in such a situation, which can be pretty abrupt when the transition from one to two lanes is fairly short and the new lane is on the left. Most situations where the lane splits I expect Autopilot to take my car left and once both lanes are established I just make a lane change to the right if that is the lane I want. If that is not going to be practical, I will wrestle the steering wheel to the right and the car drops out of Autopilot, but that can be easily restarted.

IMO, this is improved behavior over what existed before where Autopilot did not seem to have a lane preference and would center as the lane widened, then suddenly lurch left or right. Having it mostly follow the left side lane line is much smoother.

Most of the time AP handles this OK now fo me - though still not as smooth as it should.
More than 6 months ago it would freak out over such lane splits, hunting back and forth or just blaring the warning that you had to take over - so much improved, even if not yet perfect.

Reactions: totoro722
This has been one of the most enduring issues. If you think about it, you can see why. Often, if a lane splits, it’s to add a turn lane. If you rely on a simple left or right bias, as in “just stay to the center”, you get into trouble. I would not want to find myself barreling down a turn lane, left or right, with the car thinking it was a through lane. We have all seen those videos. That the issue is so persistent is an indication that it has no easy answer.

I used to experience this problem frequently, but have not seen it after a recent update a few weeks back. It now chooses the correct lane every time, at least on the roads I drive. I think it was with the 2020.24 updates that the problem went away for me.
Not to say that the problem has been corrected, just that it has been minimized. We all drive different roads.

No no, the SINGLE MOST important thing to the ENTIRE Tesla organization is tracking down that ONE stretch of highway that YOU are having a problem with and solving it IMMEDIATELY.

Why would you think otherwise?
This often happens on hills when there's a passing lane on the uphill portion. It's not just one stretch of highway. There are many instances of this on US 93 between Phoenix and Las Vegas as just one example. I don't see it as much of a problem, though, as the OP said in the last sentence of his post.

Reactions: cstork
Just the other day, under similar conditions (1-to-2 lanes) I noticed a notification at the bottom of the drivers screen (Model S) saying something like "use small amount of force on steering wheel to select which way to go" Or something similar. It was only there for a second, so I couldn't read it carefully. Has anyone else seen this notification?

• Informative
Reactions: cstork and JBT66
Just the other day, under similar conditions (1-to-2 lanes) I noticed a notification at the bottom of the drivers screen (Model S) saying something like "use small amount of force on steering wheel to select which way to go" Or something similar. It was only there for a second, so I couldn't read it carefully. Has anyone else seen this notification?
Have not seen this but it would be VERY welcome and useful.

Reactions: JBT66