Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot for HW2 rolling out to all HW2 cars today!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I hope to be tackling the NDT myself when I get my Model 3! :)

The TACC is a God-Send on the tollway - it has already improved my life at least 350%. I have a very long commute, coming all the way down from Gunter down 289 (Preston Road). I am happy to report that I keep the TACC activated all the way down and back home, and I very rarely touch the brakes or the accelerator pedal. Auto-Steering in HW2 EAP is still a bit wonky, and it seems to work a lot better for me in the middle lane. It seems to have learned a lot in the last week, but that may be my imagination (or possibly wishful thinking). The car still hugs the right hand side of the lane a little too much, and I find that I need to take over about 2-3 times each day in my 90 mile round trip commute. If we are the Beta Testers with this new EAP, then I am hoping that all of these "learning" miles on the tollway are going to make the system amazing for you by the time you get your car.

I hope to be tackling the NDT myself when I get my Model 3!

I have driven that road many times with AP1. It does an amazing job, except watch out for two things:

- Past 635 going south, there are quite a few crests, and on everyone of them it will struggle going above 60.

- Between PGBT and 635 there are a few sharp twists, and again i wouldn't recommend you go above 60 on those with Auto steer. But the rest of the drive is a real breeze for AP1.

On the construction zones, just pay extra attention and be on the middle lane if possible.

Had a chance to use HW2 AP in heavy traffic yesterday (Arizona Loop 101 freeway near Scottsdale). Was in middle lane surrounded by traffic, and car suddenly pulls to right towards a large truck I was passing. I'm sure if I had not quickly taken control that it would have hit the truck. Not a confidence booster.

Did the ultrasound sensors not light up? ( white/yellow/red ) around the car? So is th consensus that around large trucks disable AP?

Did the ultrasound sensors not light up? ( white/yellow/red ) around the car? So is th consensus that around large trucks disable AP?
I was too surprised when it happened to pay attention to the sensor display, so don't know if they flashed. AP wasn't disabled, unless you count sudden swerving a "disabled" AP. AP only disabled after I turned the wheel to avoid hitting the truck.

TACC is generally working well for me, although a couple of times around the same stretch of road the car suddenly breaked hard for a few seconds which is disturbing. Fortunately no one was directly behind me those times. I think it may have reacted to a large overhead road sign in the opposite lanes as I went by.

I would love it if someone could video a Tesla from behind to see if it is in the middle of the lane or hugging right
Over time, I'd like Tesla to change algorithm to hugging right in right lane, hugging left in left lane, and centering in middle lanes to give other cars the most amount of wiggle room

I know my tendency is to purposely hug left if I'm in the left lane, to give other cars on my right more room

I know I subconsciously lean left in the middle lanes.

But I purposely hug right in the right lane (although maybe I'm really in the middle and only think I'm hugging right) to give cars in my left more room

Autosteer in slow traffic in left lane is harrowing.
I have to be in left lane that becomes left exit. Here the left lane goes slowest, about 5-15 mph (so cars passing on right, at about 10-15 mph)

I've noticed that I'm about 1/4 car width to the right of every other car in front or behind me. However no car to my right has honked at me as they pass.

Thus I assume the car is center and not hugging right. But it really feels to be hugging right

Over time I'm adjusting to the position. So less afraid. I still feel dumb when 99 out of 100 cars are centered on each other, and I'm 1/4 car width right... but that stretch of hell is SO much better with Autosteer

Question
Does TACC slow down on curves?

I drive a stretch of freeway that makes a 90 degree curve.
There is a concrete divider

Speed limit drops from 55 to 35 there.

On TACC my car slows nicely on the curve, from set 60 down to 45, then goes to 60 when curve done.
This is what I do without TACC

Wondering if it's seeing the concrete? Responding to changed speed limit? Learning from me?

What has been your guys experience with TACC and AP at toll booths? On my AP2, it did slow down only because there was a car in front. But in another instance when there wasn't, I did not feel the car slowing down so I did manually, then reset after. How did this work on AP1 cars?

@JRMW

The sales rep told me that it sees turns and won't take them at too high of speed. I didn't know it did that for TACC. I assumed just in autopilot mode.
It does not learn from you like that, nor decrease automatically due to speed limit changes.
Not sure about divider, but I doubt it's that.

Question

On TACC my car slows nicely on the curve, from set 60 down to 45, then goes to 60 when curve done.

Wondering if it's seeing the concrete? Responding to changed speed limit? Learning from me?

The release notes stated that TACC slows for turns, so I think that is what is happening. I've noticed it doing so as well when I use it.

Question

I think Autopilot is just TACC combined with autosteer. Will someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

New My newly downloaded EAP with TACC is still unusable. Slams brakes with overhead signs. So, no cruise control at all for me for now...

Mine did that 1 or 2 times the first day
But now it doesn't

It also slammed on the brakes if a large SUV or truck passed me on right or left.
It now seems to do that less too... although I'm always wary when approaching a large truck

I have had 1 large phantom brake (no idea why) and one mini phantom brake

I'm not sure if it's learning or not, but it seems to be far better.

Then again maybe I'm just getting used to it

But I'll tell you what, I LOVE EAP in slow highway traffic

I have a 1 hour commute. I've been using TACC, but I may discontinue. I can see from the break lights in the distance that traffic is starting to slow down in a wave. Normally I would let up on the accelerator. However, the car keeps plugging away at speed. It has hard braked in a few situations like this. That would not have happen if I had control.

I have a 1 hour commute. I've been using TACC, but I may discontinue. I can see from the break lights in the distance that traffic is starting to slow down in a wave. Normally I would let up on the accelerator. However, the car keeps plugging away at speed. It has hard braked in a few situations like this. That would not have happen if I had control.
What do you have the following distance set to? Does it brake sooner if you set it to 7?

What do you have the following distance set to? Does it brake sooner if you set it to 7?

I haven't noticed the follow distance having that big of an effect on when the car brakes or how closely it follows. Even set on 2 or 3 it stays way back from the car in front when traveling at highway speeds (like 10 car lengths or more). Pushing it back to 7 doesn't really make it stay further back. I can tell some difference at lower speeds, say around 20 - 40mph, but it generally leaves a pretty big gap no matter what. There is almost always more than enough room for at least two cars to merge in between you and the car in front of you.

The issue Drekar mentioned is one I have experienced as well. You can see some event up ahead that is going to require the car to brake like a red light or traffic slowing, but the follow car is so far ahead that the MS doesn't begin to slow until it gets closer but by then the car in front has already slowed considerably so the MS has to brake harder whereas if it could have seen the red light or the traffic slowing from as far as away as a person can it would have started slowing sooner.

Reactions: wesley888