Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot for HW2 rolling out to all HW2 cars today!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What do you have the following distance set to? Does it brake sooner if you set it to 7?

I have it set on 4. I've not tried other distances.

You can see some event up ahead that is going to require the car to brake like a red light or traffic slowing, but the follow car is so far ahead that the MS doesn't begin to slow until it gets closer but by then the car in front has already slowed considerably so the MS has to brake harder whereas if it could have seen the red light or the traffic slowing from as far as away as a person can it would have started slowing sooner.

That seems like a reasonable explanation of what is happening. I had not thought of the car ahead being out of range, but that matches what I've seen.

Last edited:
After repeated tests of EAP and TACC on tightly-curved onramps, often at about 10-25mph in traffic, I found that EAP tracks closer to the outside edge of the curve but most vehicles in front track to the inside of the curve causing TACC to lose "sight" of the vehicle in front which then causes my Model S to dangerously accelerate in an attempt to bring up my speed to the max speed setting (<~45) where I need to quickly take control of steering and brake before running (possibly) in the guard rail.

It would helpful to have a visual indicator in the display that TACC is "locked" on the vehicle image in front (perhaps blue) and the image returns to gray when it sights nearby vehicles but they are out of range or proximity for CC.

After repeated tests of EAP and TACC on tightly-curved onramps, often at about 10-25mph in traffic, I found that EAP tracks closer to the outside edge of the curve but most vehicles in front track to the inside of the curve causing TACC to lose "sight" of the vehicle in front which then causes my Model S to dangerously accelerate in an attempt to bring up my speed to the max speed setting (<~45) where I need to quickly take control of steering and brake before running (possibly) in the guard rail.

It would helpful to have a visual indicator in the display that TACC is "locked" on the vehicle image in front (perhaps blue) and the image returns to gray when it sights nearby vehicles but they are out of range or proximity for CC.
In AP1, the car in front of you that TACC is locked onto is highlighted in white. Other cars are gray. The car in front turns blue if auto steering is mainly following that car instead of using the lines. This mainly happens in slow traffic when my car is quite close to the one I n front of it.

• Helpful
Reactions: pilotSteve
I tried using Autosteer a few times yesterday while in the inside lane. Every time I tried enabling Autosteer, it would try to move a foot or two to the right. It was a bit too close for comfort so I tried guiding it back. It would then return to hugging the right lane line. I gave up, disabled Autosteer and just used TACC for the rest of the drive. I realize today that there was a continuous concrete (jersey) barrier along the left side of the road. Perhaps it was possible cause of the right lane line hugging behavior.

Was in the far left lane and mine totally hugs right. I have had cars cut in front of me (nothing unusual in LA) but the car does not sense until the last second which is way too uncomfortable for me and so I usually jump in not wanting to know what would of happened.

Here is a video of my east bound drive on the 10 freeway. Sorry about the shaky video but the main point I wanted to show was the autosteer goes on and off and the lines are super jumpy (which probably explains the autosteer being available and then not).

Mind you I am not traveling fast and these lanes are very distinct on the 10 with reflectors on the lines.

• Informative
Reactions: JoaoD and DJ 240V
I've been doing about 10 miles everyday of stop & go traffic with AP2 activated. TACC has been reliable, Autosteer just so so, but today it decided to go wild!! After about 5 miles of the usual, AS started to pull a hard right, and sometimes a left; like a teenager on a joy ride; more terrifying than when my kids were learning to drive--they said they don't trust AP2 anymore. Needless to say, I kept having to take corrective action and stay hyper-vigilant the whole time. And unlike all the other times in these past 12 days, when I wanted to re-engage AS, it kept saying it was unavailable or disabled for that highway, even though it worked just a mile earlier; and then it'd work again. Also like some people have noted, when it's working alright, it does hug the right line way too much for my taste. It also gets confused when the right line is dashed, in which case it keeps going to the right. I have faith & hope that Tesla is working non-stop to get the AP2 completely figured out, but with the concurrent pressures of Model 3 (& gigafactory & rockets & hyperloops & whatever else), time is going to run out before this turns out to be a PR nightmare for Tesla.

Autosteer just so so, but today it decided to go wild!!

I've had good luck too, but today was the same for me. This is the first day that we've had really clear sunlight, and it definitely made weird things happen with shadows. I was stopped on the highway and the lane lines turned 45 degrees to the right and the car in front turned blue. I wasn't moving at all. Then I looked and there was a big shadow on the ground from the train tracks above at roughly the same angle as the lane lines.

p.s. I value the break in the endless night we've had here recently more than the degradation in AS performance. :D

Wow, me three. I have had excellent experiences with AS until this morning. I tried to engage it and it said it was unavailable at this time (the grey steering wheel image kept popping in and out). When I finally got it engaged, it veered a bunch and I had to take control. I was traveling NNW and the sun was SE, so I wasn't heading directly into the sun, rather it was at my rear passenger side. I was next to a truck and the truck's shadow seemed to confuse AP.

I'm not sure why the shadow should affect it because I've definitely engaged and ran AS with no issues next to trucks before and with many many overpasses (with my headlights turning on and off). This seemed to be a total outlier. I engaged AS about 2 minutes later when traffic again came to a slowdown and it operated great again but I was wary...

• Informative
Reactions: JoaoD and disagree
I've had good luck too, but today was the same for me. This is the first day that we've had really clear sunlight, and it definitely made weird things happen with shadows. I was stopped on the highway and the lane lines turned 45 degrees to the right and the car in front turned blue. I wasn't moving at all. Then I looked and there was a big shadow on the ground from the train tracks above at roughly the same angle as the lane lines.

p.s. I value the break in the endless night we've had here recently more than the degradation in AS performance. :D

Wow, me three. I have had excellent experiences with AS until this morning. I tried to engage it and it said it was unavailable at this time (the grey steering wheel image kept popping in and out). When I finally got it engaged, it veered a bunch and I had to take control. I was traveling NNW and the sun was SE, so I wasn't heading directly into the sun, rather it was at my rear passenger side. I was next to a truck and the truck's shadow seemed to confuse AP.

I'm not sure why the shadow should affect it because I've definitely engaged and ran AS with no issues next to trucks before and with many many overpasses (with my headlights turning on and off). This seemed to be a total outlier. I engaged AS about 2 minutes later when traffic again came to a slowdown and it operated great again but I was wary...

Wow, indeed! Also in Chicago and autosteer yesterday was operating differently than it had and was terrifying. I was going south on 90/94 between 5 and 6 (from Dempster down to Ohio), and autosteer was unsafe in pretty slow traffic. Veering issues.

• Informative
Reactions: croman
Wow, indeed! Also in Chicago and autosteer yesterday was operating differently than it had and was terrifying. I was going south on 90/94 between 5 and 6 (from Dempster down to Ohio), and autosteer was unsafe in pretty slow traffic. Veering issues.

Interesting as I have had great experiences with A/S in those exact areas this past weekend. I even took a video on my way out of the loop because I had AS working so well and for almost 8 minutes. Hopefully Tesla will have an update soon that makes this a more consistent experience.

I would love it if someone could video a Tesla from behind to see if it is in the middle of the lane or hugging right
Over time, I'd like Tesla to change algorithm to hugging right in right lane, hugging left in left lane, and centering in middle lanes to give other cars the most amount of wiggle room

I know my tendency is to purposely hug left if I'm in the left lane, to give other cars on my right more room

I know I subconsciously lean left in the middle lanes.

But I purposely hug right in the right lane (although maybe I'm really in the middle and only think I'm hugging right) to give cars in my left more room

Autosteer in slow traffic in left lane is harrowing.
I have to be in left lane that becomes left exit. Here the left lane goes slowest, about 5-15 mph (so cars passing on right, at about 10-15 mph)

I've noticed that I'm about 1/4 car width to the right of every other car in front or behind me. However no car to my right has honked at me as they pass.

Thus I assume the car is center and not hugging right. But it really feels to be hugging right

Over time I'm adjusting to the position. So less afraid. I still feel dumb when 99 out of 100 cars are centered on each other, and I'm 1/4 car width right... but that stretch of hell is SO much better with Autosteer

The IC certainly does show the car to be centered and if you look at your right side mirror you can see there is sufficient gap. I send the following feedback to tesla and they promptly replied too. So more of us making suggestions they will do it - write to
[email protected] )

The AutoSteer does a stellar job (ignoring the minor constant exaggerated steering corrections ) of centering the car in the lane. However most people have an affinity to stay closer to the left side of the lane. As a result it sometime feels like your too close to the cars in your right lane as your are driving along or passing them. Is there a setting or smarts that was applied on AP1 to fix this ? If not some sort of in-lane "offset" input would be really handy. One way is to automatically adjust with the lineup of cars. For e.g most of the cars directly in front of me are all slightly left aligned as are the cars to my right.

Tesla's response: In regards to a setting which can adjust your position in the lane, there is not one on AP1 cars at the moment but with your feedback that may be something we can add in the future.

• Informative
Reactions: EinSV
I've been doing about 10 miles everyday of stop & go traffic with AP2 activated. TACC has been reliable, Autosteer just so so, but today it decided to go wild!! After about 5 miles of the usual, AS started to pull a hard right, and sometimes a left; like a teenager on a joy ride; more terrifying than when my kids were learning to drive--they said they don't trust AP2 anymore. Needless to say, I kept having to take corrective action and stay hyper-vigilant the whole time. And unlike all the other times in these past 12 days, when I wanted to re-engage AS, it kept saying it was unavailable or disabled for that highway, even though it worked just a mile earlier; and then it'd work again. Also like some people have noted, when it's working alright, it does hug the right line way too much for my taste. It also gets confused when the right line is dashed, in which case it keeps going to the right. I have faith & hope that Tesla is working non-stop to get the AP2 completely figured out, but with the concurrent pressures of Model 3 (& gigafactory & rockets & hyperloops & whatever else), time is going to run out before this turns out to be a PR nightmare for Tesla.

Have you reported this to Tesla and let them have a a look at your logs?

Was in the far left lane and mine totally hugs right. I have had cars cut in front of me (nothing unusual in LA) but the car does not sense until the last second which is way too uncomfortable for me and so I usually jump in not wanting to know what would of happened.

Here is a video of my east bound drive on the 10 freeway. Sorry about the shaky video but the main point I wanted to show was the autosteer goes on and off and the lines are super jumpy (which probably explains the autosteer being available and then not).

Mind you I am not traveling fast and these lanes are very distinct on the 10 with reflectors on the lines.

You never actually activated it. If you had it would've stayed on in my experience.

My autosteer didn't let me engage at all this morning. It was drizzling, so I thought that might be the reason, but it does sound like something changed at the head office, which is interesting: it means there is some functionality that can change without an explicit software update.

• Informative
Reactions: Joe F
We are/were 1 of the 1st 1,000. The S was in the shop all of the 1st month of ownership. Finally got it back, & looked forward to AP2. Got on the freeway. Traffic at 30mph - & in the slow lane. Next thing we know ... we're heading for the 1st cloverleaf off ramp. Jeez -had I not grabbed the wheel & jerked it back onto the freeway, I suppose the car would have simply disengaged & we'd be on our way in the wrong direction. Oh - & it still shuts down at 35mph. And today? It AGAIN says it's not working. Wow. Between as a new owner and over one month in the service garage & this? What a dissapointment.

You never actually activated it. If you had it would've stayed on in my experience.

Sorry the point was to show that the lines waver the whole time making autosteer unusable. That's why I did not use autosteer.

Update: drove the same road today while it was overcast and the line recognition was more solid and autosteer wasn't too bad. Wondering if driving into the sun affects AP

Reactions: Lbkmxp100d
Sorry the point was to show that the lines waver the whole time making autosteer unusable. That's why I did not use autosteer.

Update: drove the same road today while it was overcast and the line recognition was more solid and autosteer wasn't too bad. Wondering if driving into the sun affects AP

Driving into the sun definitely affected early versions of AP 1 - still does to some extent if I recall.