Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot for HW2 rolling out to all HW2 cars today!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just drove 20 miles in heavy traffic using TACC and only a little bit using Autosteer. Overall, TACC was pretty reliable. I set it up to be 7 car lengths away, but when traffic became stop and go it automatically reduced the distance. For cars merging from a different lane, I thought my car was picking them up, except there is a slight lag when it showed up on my dash. Will be good to get clarification from Tesla on what to expect with merging cars

I noticed the same thing. I kept moving the following distance to "1" at stop lights and then back to "4" after the car got going again.

Weird, I have not noticed it starting up too slowly, but maybe we have different opinions of what too slowly means. :)

I have mine set to 3 and I find it works perfect, feels very natural. I imagine that the system isn't supposed to work with the driver constantly changing the distance...if you're going to go through all that work, then might as well just drive it yourself. :p

Last edited:
Reactions: wesley888
Done!

Attachments

• IMG_7109.JPG
    IMG_7109.JPG
    368.8 KB · Views: 84
Weird, I have not noticed it starting up too slowly, but maybe we have different opinions of what too slowly means. :)

I have mine set to 3 car lengths and I find it works perfect, feels very naturally. I imagine that the system isn't supposed to work with the driver constantly changing the distance...if you're going to go through all that work, then might as well just drive it yourself. :p

Agreed. I was fiddling with the settings to see what fit my style. Not worth the hassle as I can just use accelerator to override when the light turns green.
I usually stay a little closer to lead car to get through the light. Then I increase following distance to two seconds or so after the intersection. Tesla's method is safer and more correct I will admit.

Random question... Is the "learning" in AP2 at the level of the individual car as well as the fleet? I.e. does my car learn from each trip I take and get better and better the more I drive it or is all the learning at the server/fleet level?

Random question... Is the "learning" in AP2 at the level of the individual car as well as the fleet? I.e. does my car learn from each trip I take and get better and better the more I drive it or is all the learning at the server/fleet level?

Unknown. The neural network(s) itself would be based on fleet data(your car lacks both the data storage and processing capability to train such a network), but as far as I know, nobody outside Tesla knows whether there's some form of online learning that adjusts parameters based on your driving.

So on HW2 I only see a single lane display with EAP. Are you referring to AP1?

I have AP2. I noticed it when I first jumped into the car after the update but I will check again tomorrow.

On parts of the 10 freeway today (east bound between Crenshaw and Vermont) I noticed AP had a terrible time with the lanes. Disappearing reappearing. AP allowed and then not an option even though lanes seemed to be clearly marked. A few times the car would steer into the other lane too. Had to turn off AP most of the drive.

• Informative
Reactions: NicB72 and DJ 240V
I have wifi in my home (car reads as 2 bars) and I'm able to browse using car's pathetic dated browser and use the streaming music service. I even used my phone and pumped 1.3GB of data to no end. I am on my work's wifi now (same as home but even stronger somehow). There has been no lack of connectivity for the car. It refuses to update. Also I don't see why it should take time -- its in the wild it just needs to download and its had ample opportunity to do so.

If there is something wrong, I can't figure out what and Tesla isn't saying.
I just used my phone as hotspot and hope to get the update overnight. If your phone used 1.3GB of data and didn't get the update, what was it doing to use that much data?

The following numbers aren't in car lengths, they're in seconds. That's why they adjust depending on speed.

Well...yes and no. The distance is variable based on the relative speed. Consider stopping distance. Much less time is need to stop traveling 10 miles per hour than from 60 miles per hour. So, the gap can be narrowed at slower speeds. As speeds increase, the distance changes to some algorithm based on your number setting.

I just used my phone as hotspot and hope to get the update overnight. If your phone used 1.3GB of data and didn't get the update, what was it doing to use that much data?

I have no idea but I did it again and it used the same amount of data. I think its uploading my driving data to the mothership for processing but not sending me the update. FWIW I did a reset of both MCU and IC and still got nothing. Am parked at work in closest spot to wifi with strong connection. I expect nothing at this point and Tesla has been less than helpful.

What reason would they have to not give you the update? Perhaps your car is a serial that has a known sensor alignment issue, and they are waiting on a software cropping fix so as to not cause loss of cruise control and annoying messages? I don't think anyone has chimed in saying their car couldn't calibrate without a trip to the service center.

Well...yes and no. The distance is variable based on the relative speed. Consider stopping distance. Much less time is need to stop traveling 10 miles per hour than from 60 miles per hour. So, the gap can be narrowed at slower speeds. As speeds increase, the distance changes to some algorithm based on your number setting.

From the manual:

"To adjust the distance you want to maintain between Model S and a vehicle traveling ahead of you, rotate the cruise control lever to choose a setting from 1 (the closest following distance) to 7 (the longest following distance). Each setting corresponds to a time-based distance that represents how long it takes for Model S, from its current location, to reach the location of the rear bumper of the vehicle ahead."

The number represents a time-based distance. I don't believe each increment is a full second, but each increment does represent some amount of time. The time is a measurement of how long it will take your car to reach the location of the rear bumper of the car ahead of you at any given moment in time. Obviously this distance grows the faster you are going.

After another couple of commutes using the autosteer, I've decided it ain't ready for prime time. If I wanted to spend my car time terrified, I'd be a driving instructor.

Besides not handling merges very well at all (it'll brake hard if you let it go to the last second, but that, you know, sucks), it lost its brain a couple of times, wildly oscillating between the lane markings until I had to grab the wheel. Lanes were clearly marked, with cars in front and both sides. Both times, the road was curving (very slightly, this is a freeway) and traffic was moving about 35-45mph.

Not worth the aggravation yet - I'll stick to TACC, which is actually quite nice in stop and go traffic.

At slow speed in stop and go traffic this morning I felt like my car was going to ram the Kia Soul that had just merged into my lane, if I hadn't applied the brakes. Be careful out there, guys.

Hello! So even though you still have the AP1 hardware did you still get the full EAP update OTA update or did you get something different then what everyone else has been seeing?

Hello! So even though you still have the AP1 hardware did you still get the full EAP update OTA update or did you get something different then what everyone else has been seeing?
I think I know what you are getting at. I have AP2 hardware, but I only paid $2500 for AP1 functionality. I would guess that those in this situation will still get the same software as those that paid for EAP, but that the full set of features won't be enabled. Features that go above and beyond what AP1 hardware cars can do.