Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot, garbage on the road

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was using the autopilot in my test drive. There happens to be a garbage bag on the road. If I hadn't taken control, what do you guys think will happen? Will the car stop or just slow down? I don't think it will swerve on its own to miss it. I am just curious, this is AP2. I wanted to try it, but I didn't want to scare my family and the sales guy.

This is interesting. When I had a rental AP1 car, I was complaining i didn't like the way their car came upon dead stop traffic from 65mph. It felt like it was going too fast, but I never got close to try out the feature as it was too hairy for me.

TACC seems to be fairly sophisticated for a cruise control - in a good way -. It seems to calculate acceleration of vehicles ahead instead of simply maintaining set distance away. For example: if on highway with TACC set to 7 car lengths, someone passes me and cuts me off just in front of my bumper but is accelerating, TACC does not reduce speed at all. It’s amazing like that.

I've had my car's AP disengage and tell me to take control, one time when I encountered road debris. I think it was a couple of long 2x4s in the middle of the freeway.

My guess would be that the long 2x4’s looked potentially like lane lines to the cameras and confused the system enough that it disengaged it definitely won’t normally disengage for road debris.

at least it won't hit a stopped car right?

It absolutely should detect stopped cars and stop, but there can be weird situations and I’m sure there is the potentially that it could miss something and hit a car. Again, while autopilot is engaged you need to be monitoring the road and be ready to take over if something happens.

I will say that I have been on the highway with stoppped traffic ahead and I allowed autopilot to continue operating and it did successfully come to a stop from highway speeds without hitting any stopped cars, however it tends to stop later and harder than I like, so I typically disengage autopilot and stop myself when I see stopped cars agead.

at least it won't hit a stopped car right?

Yes, it does hit a stopped car sometimes.

Most of the time, it stops from hitting a stopped car in front but not always.

That's why I have to babysit it and cancelled the system once my car was still speeding at 65 MPH by the time it reached the road traffic signs. There was no way at that point that the car would stop in time if the system kept up with that speed:

Page 68 of Model S manual:

"Warning: Traffic-Aware Cruise Control can not detect all objects and may not brake/ decelerate for stationary vehicles, especially in situations when you are driving over 50 mph (80 km/h) and a vehicle you are following moves out of your driving path and a stationary vehicle or object is in front of you instead. Always pay attention to the road ahead and stay prepared to take immediate corrective action. Depending on Traffic-Aware Cruise Control to avoid a collision can result in serious injury or death. In addition, Traffic-Aware Cruise Control may react to vehicles or objects that either do not exist or are not in the lane of travel, causing Model S to slow down unnecessarily or inappropriately."

• Love
Reactions: ytwytw and cwerdna
TACC seems to be fairly sophisticated for a cruise control - in a good way -. It seems to calculate acceleration of vehicles ahead instead of simply maintaining set distance away. For example: if on highway with TACC set to 7 car lengths, someone passes me and cuts me off just in front of my bumper but is accelerating, TACC does not reduce speed at all. It’s amazing like that.
I have experienced that as well. The TACC algorithm is quite sophisticated and does appear to take into account whether a car is moving away from you as it enters your lane or whether it is moving slower than you and based on that reacts quite differently. Which makes sense to me.

I have experienced that as well. The TACC algorithm is quite sophisticated and does appear to take into account whether a car is moving away from you as it enters your lane or whether it is moving slower than you and based on that reacts quite differently. Which makes sense to me.

We also have experienced this feature of TACC.

Furthermore on our recent trip we were pleased to have the car stop behind a car already stopped at a light when the car in front of us moved out of our lane to make a left turn. In our previous car with AP1, if the car in front of us changed lanes and exposed a stopped car in our lane, the TACC/AP1 would not detect the stopped car.

Good to see the recognition in this thread that we are dealing with two different systems, TACC and AP.

For sure hit the bag. No big deal that’s the safest option for the most part anyway ..
i
duno - our ap2 x nearly came to a halt, & I just use the accelerator to continue on. It looked like a large metalized cheetos type bag getting blown in front of us. Searching YouTube I found something similar. So ymmv. we occasionally get the same phenomena from cars traveling in the adjacent right hand lane next to us as we come up on them.