Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot getting worse

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I seem to be having more and more false braking with autopilot, and it's abrupt. Just a matter of time before I get rear ended.

Mostly with left turn-offs of a freeway, where you have a gap in the line so the car wants to center itself, and then it see's the white line and slams on the brakes.

The car should ALWAYS follow the solid line or the straightest line, this would also correct when lanes get wider and it wants to center itself and then jerks to one side or another.

Autopilot also seems like is stays too wide on corners, instead of following the center or apex leaning side. This freaks out other cars.

I seem to be having more and more false braking with autopilot, and it's abrupt. Just a matter of time before I get rear ended.

Mostly with left turn-offs of a freeway, where you have a gap in the line so the car wants to center itself, and then it see's the white line and slams on the brakes.

The car should ALWAYS follow the solid line or the straightest line, this would also correct when lanes get wider and it wants to center itself and then jerks to one side or another.

Autopilot also seems like is stays too wide on corners, instead of following the center or apex leaning side. This freaks out other cars.

I agree with all your points. I’ve been driving with AP since delivery of the car in August and I believe I’ve seen a degradation in capability. False braking, confusion with gaps in lines corresponding to an entrance ramp, and not following a smooth arc through a gradual curve. I’ve driven the same route to work since delivery and I’ve gone from using AP a lot to much less because of the false braking and not holding lines well.

I agree. I also took delivery last August and it was making improvements but now it breaks on slight inclines (seems like it can’t see as far anymore or something?), gets more easily confused with wider lanes, and even put me into a turn lane instead of going straight following a car. This didn’t happen on the previous software version. I’m on 2019.16.2

Reactions: RunMadM3
Yeah, they are being more aggressive with braking these days.

I assume that when someone turns in front you in the oncoming lane AP sees it as a simple object it must brake for, not as someone who is simply making a turn and will quickly be out of your driving path.

Until the system can determine that "oncoming object W is a vehicle making a left turn onto street X and is Y feet away so I can wait another Z seconds before I brake. Versus "wildlife/tree ran/fell onto road therefore I must brake early since I will likely need to stop".

Yeah, they are being more aggressive with braking these days.

I assume that when someone turns in front you in the oncoming lane AP sees it as a simple object it must brake for, not as someone who is simply making a turn and will quickly be out of your driving path.

Until the system can determine that "oncoming object W is a vehicle making a left turn onto street X and is Y feet away so I can wait another Z seconds before I brake. Versus "wildlife/tree ran/fell onto road therefore I must brake early since I will likely need to stop".

Agree completely! Remember we are still Beta testing for Tesla. None of this is final release yet. I have been using AP since version 1 on my 2015 Model S. The capabilities have improved dramatically, but there is NO situational awareness. Old version would just dumbly follow road and traffic, NEVER a phantom or microbraking incident. New version, happens at least once every commute. Car makes some really dumb decisions. Nav on AP routinely makes bad decisions, regular AP still pretty good. My biggest complaint is the car trying to change lanes to prepare for an exit on right side. 2 miles to go, I am smoothly and substantially passing a car on the right, when suddenly the car will SLAM on the brakes to get behind a much slower car. I am over now, but still have 1.5 miles to go and 15 under the speed limit... Still the best out there for consumers, just not yet ready for an unaware consumer...

I agree. I also took delivery last August and it was making improvements but now it breaks on slight inclines (seems like it can’t see as far anymore or something?), gets more easily confused with wider lanes, and even put me into a turn lane instead of going straight following a car. This didn’t happen on the previous software version. I’m on 2019.16.2

AP isn't supposed to be used places there are turn lanes.

Right- because AP is not supposed to be used places there are oncoming cars let alone cross-traffic.

See above. You shouldn't have ever started.

You're using it in situations it is explicitly not intended to be used

That's how the 2 guys died running into tractor trailers crossing in front of them. AP is not meant to be used on those roads at all

This is at least the third thread on here in a week of people complaining about AP having a "problem" that turns out to be user error.

It is definitely more cautious since I was moved to 16.2. I hope 20.x improves this behavior. Also, I am not certain if this is an issue with my car or the software, but as of late it's a crap shoot whether AP is even available when I start driving. All day yesterday it was completely unavailable, even after a reboot. Then magically it appeared again last night.

Frequent software updates is a double-edged sword, ain't it? :)

• Funny
Reactions: Leafdriver333
It is definitely more cautious since I was moved to 16.2. I hope 20.x improves this behavior. Also, I am not certain if this is an issue with my car or the software, but as of late it's a crap shoot whether AP is even available when I start driving. All day yesterday it was completely unavailable, even after a reboot. Then magically it appeared again last night.

Frequent software updates is a double-edged sword, ain't it? :)
I love that you don't sound upset at all!

Deteriorating performance is not a good thing for AP.
I am starting to doubt if Tesla will have a flash sale this month after all..

I think the point is that it changed, but remember that this impacts more than just people turning in front of you.

I've noticed earlier braking than I used to see in situations when someone changes lanes in front of you, which is under "supported" use.

Plus let's be honest, a lot of people use it off freeways/highways. They shouldn't, but they do, and there is no attempt to prevent them from doing so. I suspect that Tesla may value that off freeway AP use to help train their AI.

Right- because AP is not supposed to be used places there are oncoming cars let alone cross-traffic.

That's how the 2 guys died running into tractor trailers crossing in front of them. AP is not meant to be used on those roads at all

This is at least the third thread on here in a week of people complaining about AP having a "problem" that turns out to be user error.

I think the point is that it changed, but remember that this impacts more than just people turning in front of you.

But "it changed in situations it's not intended to even work" isn't useful data.

Personally I've found it significantly better at handling merging using Nav on AP than it was months ago, and lane changes have seemed quicker/more confident as well in 16.2.

I've had 0 "phantom" braking events in thousands and thousands of miles on AP... every single time there was clearly something it was braking for- even if it was "car thought that guy was about to cut me off but didn't"

This is all highway driving where AP is intended for use though.

Only negative I've found in the recent release is the emergency lane-drift nonsense that goes off way too often and easily, but that's not technically AP at all

Plus let's be honest, a lot of people use it off freeways/highways. They shouldn't, but they do

Sure they do. But they should have the fact they're using the system incorrectly pointed out when they try and use "it didn't work right someplace it's not supposed to work right" as a complaint.

I've noticed it braking more on highways as well. I also have seen an increase in issues changing lanes, where it requests a lane change, I signal, it gets halfway into the lane, then brakes hard and returns to the original lane. There are no other cars impacting it, but it seems to have some sensory issues.

• Informative
Reactions: Leafdriver333
I've noticed it braking more on highways as well. I also have seen an increase in issues changing lanes, where it requests a lane change, I signal, it gets halfway into the lane, then brakes hard and returns to the original lane. There are no other cars impacting it, but it seems to have some sensory issues.
I've had the scenario happen multiple times too when it gets halfway into a lane and then brakes and moves back. I am not really sure what it's seeing as I'm typically watching ahead and checking the mirror to make sure it's not going to cut someone off then look all over the place when it jerks back into the original lane.

True, but it’s still true that it was functioning in these areas better than it currently does.

Just remember...FSD any the end of the year!

Um yeah