Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot improvement in "MarioKart Rainbow Road" firmware update?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Maybe the premature exits issue was resolved server side and doesn't affect 7.0 owners as it used to originally? I would love to go back to 7.0. The nag just pisses me off.

There is no server side. Steering decisions are made at the car based on your installed firmware.
On my MS, it takes FIVE pulls to get the Rainbow Road and cowbells. See if that does it for you.

1 to engage autosteer, 4 more for the rainbow. The 4 Elon referred to assumed you already had autosteer engaged.

• Informative
Reactions: JenniferQ
But I believe if you start without cruise engaged, 5 pulls engages autosteer and the rainbow
Interesting. That's quite possible -- I found the behavior a little hard to nail down -- but if it is, that means immediately after engaging autosteer (which I think we can all agree requires two clicks and thus consumes the first two in your sequence) you only need three, not four, additional clicks to engage the rainbow. I wonder how long three-clicks-is-enough mode lasts before it switches to requiring four?

I totally agree. The only limitation is a 5MPH limit on undivided highways. Very reasonable to me. When I want to go faster, I just rest my foot on the go pedal. I rarely need to. Everything works just fine and it is a magnitude better in self driving than 7.0. Especially on undivided, curvy roads.

The basic problem is that the car has no idea where it is and the current firmware makes significant errors. For a specific instance, on I595 in S. Florida, while on either I595 or the Express Lanes, autopilot reports the road as "restricted" and limits the speed to +5. If this mistake was not enough, the car reads the speed limit signs adjacent to I595 and even from the roads that cross over I595. When this happens, the car slows to the last +5 speed it read. In one spot, driving east on the express lanes (post speed 70), the camera reads a 45mph sign on an overpass 40 feet above I595 and the car immediately slows to 45+5 or 50mph. As traffic is typically traveling alone at 80+ in this location, having the MS suddenly slow to 50 is a safety problem caused entirely by the flawed lawyering of autopilot.

This is just one reason I would love to go back to the "un lawyered" version 7.0

A question for Tesla. Why is there no system in place to report problems like the above and how will they be fixed in future updates?

emailing to servicena .... only results in a generic response and apparently zero action from tesla.

yes. I will try to get a photo. It took 5 trips before I saw the sign it was reading, on the overpass about 40 feet above the express lane. The overpass curves above the road and the 45 sign is clearly visible. The good news is that the camera has a great field of view!

I have one spot where the car reads a 15km/hr sign from the entrance to a parking lot near the road, another where it always reads a 110km/hr sign as 10km/hr, and hundreds of places where the limit is 100km/hr and it doesn't read any signs at all (no matter gower many I pass)
Emailing tesla results in the generic "well send this to your local service centre" which is ridiculous, my local service centre can't fix software.

As it stands now, I've resigned myself to never accepting a firmware update again as long as I own the car. I'm staying on 7.0 and I'm not letting Tesla remove any existing features that i currently have. The only way I'll upgrade from here is if I learn how to root the car so I can fix the nags in the developer settings.

On a side note, this is the only technical community I've ever been a part of where there are people who know how to do that, and are withholding it from everyone else. Not the friendliest thing to do in my opinion, and doesn't put me in a generous mood about sharing things I learn about the car that they may not know.

The mis-reading "speed limit" signs problem is very real. Just the other day it happened at least three times on the same road, where
the car read the road number sign as a speed limit. This particular error seems rather easy to avoid with a simple heuristic: if you see a sign that's substantially (say, more than 10mph/kph) lower than the last sign, and the new sign is the same number as the number of the road/route/etc. that your GPS tells you you're on, then ignore it.

I wonder if the recognition algorithm cares about the shape of the sign itself, wanting it to be rectangular? Our boring highway number signs are all rectangles, but I know many other states have "interesting" shapes (e.g., Utah's bee hives). It would be interesting to hear if such signs are ever misread as speed limits.

The basic problem is that the car has no idea where it is and the current firmware makes significant errors. For a specific instance, on I595 in S. Florida, while on either I595 or the Express Lanes, autopilot reports the road as "restricted" and limits the speed to +5. If this mistake was not enough, the car reads the speed limit signs adjacent to I595 and even from the roads that cross over I595. When this happens, the car slows to the last +5 speed it read. In one spot, driving east on the express lanes (post speed 70), the camera reads a 45mph sign on an overpass 40 feet above I595 and the car immediately slows to 45+5 or 50mph. As traffic is typically traveling alone at 80+ in this location, having the MS suddenly slow to 50 is a safety problem caused entirely by the flawed lawyering of autopilot.

This is just one reason I would love to go back to the "un lawyered" version 7.0

A question for Tesla. Why is there no system in place to report problems like the above and how will they be fixed in future updates?

emailing to servicena .... only results in a generic response and apparently zero action from tesla.

I have read about this. ButI have not experienced it. I totally agree. That would be infuriating. I hope they fix it.

Reactions: davidc18
As it stands now, I've resigned myself to never accepting a firmware update again as long as I own the car. I'm staying on 7.0 and I'm not letting Tesla remove any existing features that i currently have. The only way I'll upgrade from here is if I learn how to root the car so I can fix the nags in the developer settings.

I'm staying with 7.0 as well.

In the beginning I have experienced AP diving for the exit, but it stopped doing so and follows the lane line to continue on the highway long before 7.1 came out. It's not obvious 7.1 made any improvements in AP over 7.0. Did Tesla Motors make any announcement or assertion that there has been a specific improvement to AP from 7.0 to 7.1? Does rainbow road count as an improvement?

Reactions: davidc18
I'm staying with 7.0 as well.

In the beginning I have experienced AP diving for the exit, but it stopped doing so and follows the lane line to continue on the highway long before 7.1 came out. It's not obvious 7.1 made any improvements in AP over 7.0. Did Tesla Motors make any announcement or assertion that there has been a specific improvement to AP from 7.0 to 7.1? Does rainbow road count as an improvement?

Across Canada, I believe the exit marking of short dashed lines is more consistent than in .US. Around my area, new highway construction gets the new treatment, but older exits (most of them around here) have nothing. 7.0 liked the lines. 7.1 fixed the diving problem for most .US roads. Improvements to auto-steer were mentioned in the release notes.

New features are only available if you accept the updates. For me, perpendicular auto park was highly useful. Parallel auto park also works, but honestly, I have only used it once since I've had the car. I use perpendcular very frequently. It all depends on where you live and drive.

With new update, my autosteer is now practically perfect - drives as straight as an arrow in the center of the lane. It used too wander just a little, sometimes. Now - perfect! It drives better than I do. I love it. I can't get Mario Kart road to show up though.