Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot Jail- 1 strike only for speed?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I actually like the way that acceleration is handled. When I ease of the accelerator, TACC takes over. I would like the same thing to happen with Autosteer, I want to smoothly take control without any resistance and the car should smoothly take over when I stop controlling the wheel to keep me in the lane. I would be in control as long as I want. I think that would be safer.

But good point if you want it to work your way, there should be settings for that.

The car should also learn the behaviors of the drivers and the traffic.

Side note: I once had to design the digital controls for a magnetic resonance system this way, so the scientist would be able to manually move a controller and feel and see the response, but then relinquish control to the servos while the ADACs continuously acquired data. This car is of course infinitely more complex.
I'm all for having settings for everything.

For FSD to work, I would imagine the car would have to be able to learn behaviors of other drivers so that it knows how to properly react.

The debate isn’t about AP automatically disabling at a certain speed, it’s about Tesla forcing a drive to decide on creating a dangerous situation by pulling over to cycle the car so that AP can be used again.

I understand why they’ve done it, but there’s a pretty compelling argument that it shouldn’t be a perm ban. I’ll admit I’m biases, having a Performance and being constantly tempted - encouraged, even - to exceed 90 MPH.

Reactions: lukex4
If you want to drive manually why would you have EAP on?

I guess you didn't read the whole thread?

As others have said, this thread is about the system automatically putting you into AP jail simply because you accelerated beyond the 90 mph speed limit while in AP. When I use AP on the motorway I often use a little bit of manual accelerator override when passing other cars (so as not to crawl past or linger in their blindspot). So you can give it a quick blip on the accelerator and then revert to AP without switching in and out of it. But should you dare to hit 91 mph when doing this, then it's game over for AP until you next stop the car, which is totally unreasonable to my mind. Before you know it, the damn thing will be calling the police next, lol!

The part that i don't understand with post like this is... If there was that much of a danger that someone had to accelerate to 90+ MPH, why are they doing so without taking control of the wheel?

In reality, it would be more more in line of the person would grab the wheel, slightly jerk it to move to the edge of your own lane and accelerate to make an evasive maneuver....Which would disengage auto-pilot. (No AP Jail)

The part that i don't understand with post like this is... If there was that much of a danger that someone had to accelerate to 90+ MPH, why are they doing so without taking control of the wheel?

In reality, it would be more more in line of the person would grab the wheel, slightly jerk it to move to the edge of your own lane and accelerate to make an evasive maneuver....Which would disengage auto-pilot. (No AP Jail)
In reality, with more than 200,000 Teslas on American roads now, there's plenty of room for pretty much any conceivable event to happen, even if it's a low-probability event. Or as Wille S said, there are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.

Like I said upthread, I had this happen to me once. Traffic merging with me. Their lane ending. Traffic behind me in my lane tight, following close. Traffic to my left. Open space ahead of me, and ahead of the merging car. So even though the backseat drivers upthread keep saying "hit the brakes", it wasn't the right thing to do in that moment. Neither was a lane change. The right thing to do was just give it the beans for an instant to open the space for the merging traffic, which I did, and crossed the magic 90 barrier. @sdrevik's case is different of course, I just aim to provide an example of where the sensible and obvious input is acceleration, not braking and not steering.

Also, the way you pose your question you assume the driver hasn't taken control of the wheel. I assure you that in my case I had control -- my hands were firmly on the wheel and I was aware of the situation. But since I didn't choose to change lanes, there was no reason to jerk the wheel (plenty of reason not to) and so no reason for Autosteer to disengage (until I crossed 90).

I assure you that in my case I had control -- my hands were firmly on the wheel and I was aware of the situation. But since I didn't choose to change lanes, there was no reason to jerk the wheel (plenty of reason not to) and so no reason for Autosteer to disengage (until I crossed 90).

AP jail caused by exceeding 90 MPH can be avoided by disengaging autosteer. That can be done 3 ways:

1. Steer the wheel in the direction needed (disengages autosteer only)
2. Upward flick of the drive selector lever (disengages both autosteer and TACC)
3. Tap brake (disengages both autosteer and TACC)

In your situation that you relayed above, if you didn't need to steer and you didn't need to brake, then I'm not sure you can classify the situation as an "emergency" where you didn't have time to flick the drive selector lever.

All situations are different, and this means that there are emergencies and then there are emergencies. If no steering or braking was required ... well ... :rolleyes:

Plus, let's be real here. If you get put in AP jail, then so what? Drive manually for the remainder of the trip -- in the Model 3, that's quite fun. You'll restore it back to normal operation the next time you stop. Unless I'm on a road trip, that's no more than 30 minutes away. Surely we're all not so spoiled by EAP that we can't drive manually for a half hour?

The debate isn’t about AP automatically disabling at a certain speed, it’s about Tesla forcing a drive to decide on creating a dangerous situation by pulling over to cycle the car so that AP can be used again.

I understand why they’ve done it, but there’s a pretty compelling argument that it shouldn’t be a perm ban. I’ll admit I’m biases, having a Performance and being constantly tempted - encouraged, even - to exceed 90 MPH.

First just let me say that getting put into AP jail is annoying when it happens, but at least you then know what NOT to do so that you don't end up in jail again!

Tesla forcing a driver to "decide" to pull over? Tesla isn't forcing you to do anything, they didn't force you to go over 90mph. Now granted I'll concede that nowhere in the manual does it say that if you go over 90mph that EAP will be disabled for the rest of the drive but there are multiple warnings that the features will be disabled over 90mph, so by you choosing to go over 90mph you are deciding on your own that you do not want Autosteer, TACC, Automatic Emergency Braking...etc to be operable.

And it's not a permanent ban, it will only last for a maximum of approx 310 miles. :)

First just let me say that getting put into AP jail is annoying when it happens, but at least you then know what NOT to do so that you don't end up in jail again!

Tesla forcing a driver to "decide" to pull over? Tesla isn't forcing you to do anything, they didn't force you to go over 90mph. Now granted I'll concede that nowhere in the manual does it say that if you go over 90mph that EAP will be disabled for the rest of the drive but there are multiple warnings that the features will be disabled over 90mph, so by you choosing to go over 90mph you are deciding on your own that you do not want Autosteer, TACC, Automatic Emergency Braking...etc to be operable.

And it's not a permanent ban, it will only last for a maximum of approx 310 miles. :)
I wonder if rebooting will get you out of AP jail. I don't recommend anyone doing it though.

In my case there was no danger, I just wanted to accelerate beyond 90 mph and would much prefer AP to simply disengage automatically in that scenario WITHOUT putting me in jail, which seems totally pointless and is very irritating when you want to go back into AP once you've slowed down again.

AP jail caused by exceeding 90 MPH can be avoided by disengaging autosteer. That can be done 3 ways:

1. Steer the wheel in the direction needed (disengages autosteer only)
2. Upward flick of the drive selector lever (disengages both autosteer and TACC)
3. Tap brake (disengages both autosteer and TACC)

In your situation that you relayed above, if you didn't need to steer and you didn't need to brake, then I'm not sure you can classify the situation as an "emergency" where you didn't have time to flick the drive selector lever.

All situations are different, and this means that there are emergencies and then there are emergencies. If no steering or braking was required ... well ... :rolleyes:

Plus, let's be real here. If you get put in AP jail, then so what? Drive manually for the remainder of the trip -- in the Model 3, that's quite fun. You'll restore it back to normal operation the next time you stop. Unless I'm on a road trip, that's no more than 30 minutes away. Surely we're all not so spoiled by EAP that we can't drive manually for a half hour?

Yes of course you can manually switch AP off before accelerating beyond 90 mph. That's stating the bleeding obvious unless you've never actually driven a Tesla! It's just irritating that you have to consciously do exactly that to avoid being thrown in AP jail. I'm asking why it can't simply disengage AP when you go over 90 without the penalty? I mean what is the penalty even supposed to be for in this scenario? The car is capable of 155 mph so it has nothing to do with speed limits.

As for driving manually for the remainder of the trip, that's plain ridiculous. What if I have another 100 miles of monotonous motorway cruising to do before my next planned stop? Remind me again how much I paid to have EAP?

Reactions: lukex4
I see we’ve gotten to the traditional “repeating people’s own points back to them” part of the thread.

• Funny
Reactions: Peteski

I've AP jail twice. In both cases, I was in the left (passing) lane and the person in the right lane would maintain speed to stay in my "blind spot". (I could still see them because my mirrors were adjusted correctly.) They were like remoras. I don't believe it was intentional - just bad driving. So, I slowed, then punched it to "break them off" by putting some distance between us. It worked, but I had forgotten I was even on AP and got put in AP jail.