Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot lane keeping still not available over 6 months after delivery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What happens if you hold the wheel -- how much force does it exert? I assume it's easy to override but it might be nice if it takes a bit of force so you can keep your hands on the wheel while it drives you. Still that seems odd.

Since the steering system includes a torque sensor from the driver's input, it should be easy to override. It will sense this reaction torque and stop it's correction.

yes, it was RegoApps. He posted about it on here. He's a honest guy and I have no reason to doubt him.

He posted in this thread, you are welcome to read it and draw your own conclusions.

It's not about doubting him. It's about understanding the interview process and recognizing that 1) less senior employees sometimes don't have all the facts & express inappropriate frustration, and 2) recognizing that someone's interpretation of a conversation is not always what was meant.

I suspect that Tesla management has not shared any info with him that shouldn't have been under NDA. (And honestly, I was a little taken aback over someone sharing anything that they felt was confidential, even though he was not under an NDA, on a public forum. Would you do that?? I'd consider that a betrayal of trust (if true) or just misinterpretation (more likely) of what was said.)

It's not about doubting him. It's about understanding the interview process and recognizing that 1) less senior employees sometimes don't have all the facts & express inappropriate frustration, and 2) recognizing that someone's interpretation of a conversation is not always what was meant.

I suspect that Tesla management has not shared any info with him that shouldn't have been under NDA. (And honestly, I was a little taken aback over someone sharing anything that they felt was confidential, even though he was not under an NDA, on a public forum. Would you do that?? I'd consider that a betrayal of trust (if true) or just misinterpretation (more likely) of what was said.)

I doubt it. He was truly excited over today's announcements. Not everything is a conspiracy.

Man, talk about Tesla apologist, seems they can do no wrong by you.

To conspiracy theory people, it is necessary to go on the attack. Just take a look at Alex Jones.

Not to go OT here, but kind of yes, let's go OT for a brief cool-off. I lived in Austin for 20 years and when I showed up in the mid-90s, Alex Jones was on cable access there. My roommate and I would come home from a night out at the bars, tune in, and laugh our butts off. If anyone has benefited from the Internet, it's him. I'd argue that people like Bezos would have succeeded in their own way. Jones needed the Internet. I suggest some YouTube of him in the 90s. Good stuff.

I think you guys are projecting a lot. While this is a ~1 month delay from their projected timeline of July for Beta release, I don't see how this issue will mean autopilot will not be released at all.

Perhaps, but that projected June timeline for the beta wasn't set that long ago from my understanding. So I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if there wasn't a cascade of delays.

Then you have Elon's statements about the 405 freeway. He's basically acknowledged what all of us know about the lane departure system. It gets confused by improper lane marking, faded lines, etc. He can claim it's the worst freeway, but most of the freeways and highways near me have a lot of the same issues. Essentially freeways in major metropolitan areas are always under some form of construction. They just go from one phase of horrible to another phase of horrible. Hell there are times I don't know where the damn center is.

I'm sure they'll have some version that works for reasonably good freeways in extremely boring places, but it's not going to be on-ramp to off-ramp cruise like they claimed. Instead its going to be lots of moments of it disengaging. But, it's still going to be a godsend for some places.

It's probably going to be released sometime after September so it really won't be useful for me until next summer. Personally I believe the hold up they're trying to decide what's good enough. It's a tough engineering/marketing/sales question.

Perhaps, but that projected June timeline for the beta wasn't set that long ago from my understanding. So I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if there wasn't a cascade of delays.
It's probably going to be released sometime after September so it really won't be useful for me until next summer. Personally I believe the hold up they're trying to decide what's good enough. It's a tough engineering/marketing/sales question.
All that still describes autopilot being released. The comments I was responding to talked about autopilot being cancelled. Elon testing it everyday means they must have some core functionality going already, so in the worse case they release what they have and disengage in places that it can't reliably detect the lines.

For fun, I asked my service center about when they could do the Ludicrous mode updates to my pack.

Any bets on whether Tesla does the contactor/fuse swap before or after public 7.0 release? :p

Judging by how error prone lane departure is, autopilot is going to need hardware upgrades for it to be any degree of useful.
Imagine how useless if will be with snow or salt on the road. Maybe autopilot will need hardware upgrades for it to be useful? But that's gonna cost Tesla a lot of money.

Ok I saw this press conference in October last year about some fancy autopilot features. The webpage showed off loads of amazing stuff like automatic parking, meet me at the curb, and autopilot. Bought the car. Now they tell me, "yeah all that is actually remarkably tricky". Had I known, I would have saved 30k by getting a CPO.

#teslamoment

Kutta, but then a CPO wouldn't have let you get Blootiful or AWD! At some point (likely at the end of 2015), you will be able to use some more Autopilot function. In the meantime, you still already have TACC versus regular CC.

True and I hope you are right, but that autopilot is not going to work with salt and snow.
I don't know. Saving 30k is quite compelling. And I'm sure I'm not the only one who feels this way.