Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot lane keeping still not available over 6 months after delivery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Words of wisdom here. :)

Thanks Bonnie! Now if only Tesla would agree... =)

I'm not sure what you mean, Ingineer. It would seem Tesla --DOES-- agree, which is why they have closed Beta testing.

Edit: I just re-read it all again, and realized that perhaps you meant something about Tesla agreeing that --you personally-- were wise, and perhaps (I'm guessing here) that you might be invited to be one of the Beta testers.

If that is the case, I selfishly hope that Tesla doesn't add you as a Beta tester, as we'd lose your very valuable input here at TMC. (I know--that's selfish!) Luckily for you, Tesla doesn't ask for my opinion on who should be a Beta tester, so my hoping one way or the other will not have any impact on your chances! :)

Last edited:
It really depends on what Tesla is trying to achieve with a beta program.

If the purpose is to get qualitative data, then an open beta is probably not the best way to achieve that goal.

If the purpose is to get lots of quantitative data, then an open beta might make sense. Or maybe they can get just as useful data from the fleet of autopilot equipped cars without activating autopilot.

Finally, if the purpose is to placate people like the OP while giving them something which might not be up to the standard of user experience that Tesla would like to provide, then an open beta might make a lot of sense.

It really depends on what Tesla is trying to achieve with a beta program.

If the purpose is to get qualitative data, then an open beta is probably not the best way to achieve that goal.

If the purpose is to get lots of quantitative data, then an open beta might make sense. Or maybe they can get just as useful data from the fleet of autopilot equipped cars without activating autopilot.

Finally, if the purpose is to placate people like the OP while giving them something which might not be up to the standard of user experience that Tesla would like to provide, then an open beta might make a lot of sense.

Balance that with the risk if people who are upset aren't happy with the bug(s) they encounter in the beta and fly off the handle.

Letting people not used to beta testing handle betas is a very mixed-bag proposition.

No, I definitely don't want to be in the Beta program more than we already all are. I've made many suggestions to Tesla and I was hoping they would recognize my wisdom and get on them!

I've also offered to consult with Tesla on a temporary basis to fix some of this stuff, haven't heard a peep.

Reading back, I can see that I didn't write enough to get that point across, so it's clear my wisdom is always a work in progress... =)

An opt in beta would certainly silence me, for the most part, on this issue. There still exists the 14k miles I've driven that go against an unused component's warranty, but I wouldn't have reason to make an issue of that unless it broke somewhere between 50 and 64k miles.

I've no delusions that Tesla will begin an opt in beta program though.

I called and asked. They told me there were no openings but would put me on the list if one came up. Pretty sure that was bs, but hey, I asked.

On the subject of the beta testers - does anybody know one? Will we on this forum have any way to know if autopilot is actually released on the 15th? Or how it goes? Or do we just scan CNN for reports of Teslas behaving weirdly (or worse)?

On the subject of the beta testers - does anybody know one? Will we on this forum have any way to know if autopilot is actually released on the 15th? Or how it goes?

It's likely IMO that we'll hear if it is released to the beta group; although 8/15 is only a target, not a promised date. It's almost certain that there'll be zero news on how it goes; feedback will go to Tesla and they'll decide whether to release or polish it further.

It's likely IMO that we'll hear if it is released to the beta group; although 8/15 is only a target, not a promised date. It's almost certain that there'll be zero news on how it goes; feedback will go to Tesla and they'll decide whether to release or polish it further.

And as per the most recent conference call, the results of the Beta will also determine to what extent, if any, the system nags you for assurance that you are actively monitoring it.

On the way to work this morning an 18-wheeler didn't see me and pulled over on top of me. Hit the brakes and the horn and avoided death, but it made me wonder - what would auto-pilot have done in that circumstance? I'm guessing nothing. The driver is still responsible for taking over and saving his own life. I wonder if they'll have some sort of instructions for auto-pilot, or maybe a demonstration video showing instances like this? If they just put it out there and say "auto-pilot is not responsible for reacting in emergency situations" that's going to be a problem. Or if they don't say anything - even bigger problem. I wonder if this is a "corner case" they have programmed it for? We need to have a clear understanding of what the car will and will not do in emergencies.

We need to have a clear understanding of what the car will and will not do in emergencies.
I am glad you are okay.
There is no way for Tesla to accurately and precisely predict in advance what Autopilot will do in unexpected and unpredictable situations like you describe. Tesla can provide a generalized description of Autopilot capabilities but the driver has to remain alert and ready to take action immediately when using Autopilot.
Of course in conventional "non-Autopilot" driving the driver also has to remain alert at all times and ready to take action immediately. But in real life we all get distracted and day dream and don't pay close attention 100% of the time. And accidents happen. They will also happen when using Autopilot. Some drivers will then blame the car when it was actually their own fault. Some will realize that it was their fault. And sometimes the accident will be unavoidable because of irrational actions by other drivers and the environment around the car at that moment.
Various levels of increasingly autonomous driving are coming. Use at your own risk.

I am glad you are okay.
There is no way for Tesla to accurately and precisely predict in advance what Autopilot will do in unexpected and unpredictable situations like you describe.
Some drivers will then blame the car when it was actually their own fault. Some will realize that it was their fault. And sometimes the accident will be unavoidable because of irrational actions by other drivers and the environment around the car at that moment...
And that's really the rub, isn't it? If ALL cars were instantly converted to an auto-pilot like system, and even better, were aware of each other, there'd be no problem. The challenge is the irrational, sudden and inexplicable movement of another vehicle - most likely human - that cannot be pre-programmed to avoid.

TBH, if there are so many people here that are pissed off enough to consider legal action because they paid for Auto Pilot and don't have it yet, I can't imagine what Tesla thinks is going to happen when people have paid for Auto Pilot and assert that they bought something that would make them safer ... and the resulting legal action. ::shiver:: That alone would be enough for me not even to tackle it (as a business). These here United States contain be some wild eyed and frothy-mouthed lawyers.

On the way to work this morning an 18-wheeler didn't see me and pulled over on top of me. Hit the brakes and the horn and avoided death, but it made me wonder - what would auto-pilot have done in that circumstance? I'm guessing nothing.
Very similar situation happened to me on my way home last week. While traveling beside an 18-wheeler, the driver decided to cut into my lane, and luckily, there was enough shoulder space for me to move, brake to slow down and let him passed. Clearly, he did not see me on his side mirror. Would the auto-pilot do what I did given the same condition?

Very similar situation happened to me on my way home last week. While traveling beside an 18-wheeler, the driver decided to cut into my lane, and luckily, there was enough shoulder space for me to move, brake to slow down and let him passed. Clearly, he did not see me on his side mirror. Would the auto-pilot do what I did given the same condition?

Exactly what I want to know! But I guess we'll find out when its rolled out. It just seems to me this is a different roll-out than they've ever done before, so it should be handled differently. We need some training or at least a demonstration video on what to expect in emergency situations. Or, if Tesla's stance is the car doesn't handle emergencies when on auto-pilot, we need that clearly stated. Maybe they've stated it already, I don't know.

In my case this morning there was no shoulder. I was on 290, which is under construction, so to my immediate left was a concrete barrier no more than 2 or 3 feet from my driver's side rear-view mirror. I had nowhere to go but backwards or forwards, and since he was cutting over the lane was getting smaller in front of me, so I slammed on the brakes. One day trucks will have safety systems that will not allow the driver to pull over on top of a car. Hopefully very soon!

In my case this morning there was no shoulder. I was on 290, which is under construction, so to my immediate left was a concrete barrier no more than 2 or 3 feet from my driver's side rear-view mirror. I had nowhere to go but backwards or forwards, and since he was cutting over the lane was getting smaller in front of me, so I slammed on the brakes. One day trucks will have safety systems that will not allow the driver to pull over on top of a car. Hopefully very soon!

I have shivers just reading this.

I'm guessing that lane keeping will be most useful in long distance lonely cross-country highway driving -- not so much in the cities. Better than nothing.

Auto Response: Wow!

(Auto Generated by the Tesla ThreadReader Beta 1.0 - Reading and responding to long threads so our humans don't have to!)

All auto-generated work is Copyright © 2015. All Rights Reserved including rights you didn't know existed. Neither the owner or Tesla make any warranties, express or implied, as to the results that might be obtained from the use of the information in this posting and shall not be liable for the misuse of this information, including use which causes blindness, nor any third-party claims or losses of any nature including, but not limited to, lost finances, punitive or consequential damages, automobile accidents and of course electrocution. In addition, any views, thoughts and opinions expressed by the auto generator are personal and are provided in good faith as a representation of the owner's mood. As views, thoughts and opinions often change, and as a posting is intended to provide a semi-permanent point-in-time snapshot, please do not consider out-of-date posts to reflect the current views, thoughts and opinions. If you do not agree to these terms, please return your Tesla vehicle, stop tweeting Elon, and switch off your computer. Posts made by the Auto Generator may contain information that is confidential, privileged or unsuitable for overly sensitive persons with low self-esteem, no sense of humor or irrational religious beliefs. Unless the word tintinnabulation has been used in its correct context somewhere other than in this warning, it does not have any legal or grammatical use and may be ignored. No animals were harmed in the creation of this post, but some will be mentally harmed when reading it. Go away.

Auto Response: Wow!

(Auto Generated by the Tesla ThreadReader Beta 1.0 - Reading and responding to long threads so our humans don't have to!)

All auto-generated work is Copyright © 2015. All Rights Reserved including rights you didn't know existed. Neither the owner or Tesla make any warranties, express or implied, as to the results that might be obtained from the use of the information in this posting and shall not be liable for the misuse of this information, including use which causes blindness, nor any third-party claims or losses of any nature including, but not limited to, lost finances, punitive or consequential damages, automobile accidents and of course electrocution. In addition, any views, thoughts and opinions expressed by the auto generator are personal and are provided in good faith as a representation of the owner's mood. As views, thoughts and opinions often change, and as a posting is intended to provide a semi-permanent point-in-time snapshot, please do not consider out-of-date posts to reflect the current views, thoughts and opinions. If you do not agree to these terms, please return your Tesla vehicle, stop tweeting Elon, and switch off your computer. Posts made by the Auto Generator may contain information that is confidential, privileged or unsuitable for overly sensitive persons with low self-esteem, no sense of humor or irrational religious beliefs. Unless the word tintinnabulation has been used in its correct context somewhere other than in this warning, it does not have any legal or grammatical use and may be ignored. No animals were harmed in the creation of this post, but some will be mentally harmed when reading it. Go away.

The concept of the auto generated response is very funny. But the disclaimer is hilarious!