Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot lane keeping still not available over 6 months after delivery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I take it you are talking about this page?
It says: "It will take several months for all Autopilot features to be completed and uploaded to the cars."
http://www.teslamotors.com/blog/dual-motor-model-s-and-autopilot

"Several" typically refers to more than "a few". "A few" I think typically refers to 3-5. Several typically refers to 5-8 (although I should note it can refer to anything less than a year).

Yes. In my post I paraphrased and should not have used quotations without citing a reference. Thanks for providing that.
I note parenthetically that Meriam-Webster (Several | Definition of several by Merriam-Webster) defines several as "more than two but not very many." 9 months to date (and counting) is obviously more than two. This thread demonstrates that opinions vary on whether it is more than "not very many". I stand by my characterization of the quote from the Tesla blog as an "unfounded allegation," ie a positive assertion not supported by facts or proof.

I share your sense of disappointment, inasmuch as I would obviously love to have the lane keeping feature active already. I'm far less worked up about it than you are, but probably because I already had the sense that Musk tends to overpromise, especially with regard to time frames. I'm far more unhappy that having anything fixed on the car is now going to cost me $450 every time they pick the car up as opposed to the $99 I was quoted when I bought it.

I've just read through this entire thread. Rather than try to quote from and respond to individual comments, I'll just make some of my own. I know I'll be attacked for some of them, particularly the first one.

I ordered my P85D, without ever having seen a Model S in person, thinking it was coming with the lane-keeping feature we're talking about here. You can all beat me up for not doing enough research, for missing the disclaimers, etc., etc., tell me it's my own fault, and that's fine. I was brand new to Tesla when I heard about the D announcement and watched the video of it. There was a lot of new information coming at me fast. I tried to take it all in. If a picture is worth a thousand words, what's a video worth? I watched several different videos of the test rides given at the launch event between the time I first became interested in the P85D and the time I ordered one a couple of weeks later. In those videos, the car was lane-keeping. If anyone in any of those videos said the car wouldn't be doing that at delivery, I missed it. (I'm pretty sure no one did.) I'm not suggesting that it is Tesla's fault I thought my P85D was coming with lane-keeping at the time I ordered it, and only discovered it wasn't as I read TMC and became more knowledgeable. What I am suggesting, though, is that I expect that there were a lot of other customers just like me. Tesla demo'd something that they apparently were not all that close to releasing. Disclaimers aside, and intentional or not, that was misleading.

Do I want Tesla to release lane-keeping before it's ready? Of course not. I don't think any reasonable person does. But I do want Tesla to do right by its customers when it lets them down. Disappointing us will sometimes be unavoidable. But Tesla has the means to ease that disappointment, and thus far I have seen none of that, in spite of being disappointed over and over and over again.

As an early adopter of the P85D, taking delivery in late December, I received a car that didn't get the advertised efficiency, with no explanation at the time. A few months later an update was released that gets the car close, but not to what was advertised. I apparently don't have the 691 horsepower I thought I would have. I didn't get either my front or rear Next Generation seats until five months after I paid for them. I was not given any choice in this matter, and was offered nothing in the way of compensation. To top it all off, the center console I thought I was purchasing along with my car Tesla decided not to make, after providing continuous updates about when it would be available. They then lied, saying they wouldn't be selling any in the finish I wanted (obeche matte) and went on to sell some, in limited supply, to people who had happened to sign up on a waiting list for them before I did. Why not, at the point they knew they did not have enough consoles to satisfy everyone who wanted one, opt to sell them to customers that they had disappointed in some way--say by having made them wait five months for seats they had paid for? If you're going to sell a console to everyone who wants one, then sure, sell them in the order people signed up on a list. But if only a limited number of people are going to get the consoles, in my opinion they shouldn't have gone to people who bought their cars before the console was even announced instead of to people who thought they were buying their car with the console. If you are going to disappoint people anyway, why not disappoint new people, and choose to use the receipt of a console as a means to relieve the disappointment over another matter with different customers? (Can you tell I'm still incredibly bitter about my piano black console, and the Frankenstein interior it created?)

I'm sure I'm going to get a lot of flak for the above, but the console situation, coupled with the other disappointments, really changed the way I feel about Tesla and my Model S. You could say the console situation was the straw that broke this camel's back.

Mistakes will happen. Delays are unavoidable. But small concessions can be made to ease the pain when these things happen. I have yet to see Tesla care enough about its customers to make any such concession.

I was one of the people who, along with wk057, have my name on that banner that hangs at Tesla headquarters thanking the Tesla employees, which was presented to them on the pizza party day. I sent a hand-written card that I understand Bonnie read. I meant the nice things I wrote on that card, and I really felt the sentiments that I expressed. I'd like to feel that way about Tesla and my Model S again, but I'm not sure I ever will.

Let's say thanks: Pizza for the factory employees - Page 28

View attachment 86191

A brave post. Agree.

Tesla is a brand new car company. They're now morphing into the typical "American" car company, like GM or Ford. Service experience shows this, as many others have noted besides me. I do hope they stay strong and hold out against third-party dealerships, as we have a chance to keep the service aspect from devolving to GM level if they don't go there (I don't thinks its that bad yet, but its headed that way). But over-promising is not good business practice and I'm worried (seriously) about Tesla's long term viability. I also traded up exclusively to have a car that drives itself (within the limits they've made clear). But I did not expect it to be available in June, and think its an extremely long shot for July. August is my optimistic hope. If its not here by December its not coming, and it will be interesting to see how Tesla spins that. I will be one pissed off customer (among thousands) if they abandon it.

So let me get this straight, people want to threaten Tesla with legal action because they purchased a car with proposed new features that had no definite timeline or they didn't realize that the car doesn't have the features and was even purchased sight unseen?

And someone actually installed the wrong color console knowingly?

I'm wondering who's making the bad decisions here?

A brave post. Agree.

Tesla is a brand new car company. They're now morphing into the typical "American" car company, like GM or Ford. Service experience shows this, as many others have noted besides me. I do hope they stay strong and hold out against third-party dealerships, as we have a chance to keep the service aspect from devolving to GM level if they don't go there (I don't thinks its that bad yet, but its headed that way). But over-promising is not good business practice and I'm worried (seriously) about Tesla's long term viability. I also traded up exclusively to have a car that drives itself (within the limits they've made clear). But I did not expect it to be available in June, and think its an extremely long shot for July. August is my optimistic hope. If its not here by December its not coming, and it will be interesting to see how Tesla spins that. I will be one pissed off customer (among thousands) if they abandon it.

If it does slip past December why does that mean it is never coming?

Sorry, but I'm calling shenanigans on that. In the Q1 conf. call (March 19 I think?), Elon said "Autopilot will be released in 3 months".

It's been > 3 months now.

Here is my grand prediction -

Major firmware update announcement next week, semi autopilot enabled, firmware rolls out over next 4 weeks.
Full autpilot, more like October/Decemberish.

You heard it here first people!

Ha nice nickname, kutte kamine :) - raising peoples hopes....

So let me get this straight, people want to threaten Tesla with legal action because they purchased a car with proposed new features that had no definite timeline or they didn't realize that the car doesn't have the features and was even purchased sight unseen?

If you're trying to get things straight you're doing a pretty lousy job of it. On the other hand, if you're just trying to insult people and come off as having a pompous, holier-than-thou attitude, you're doing wonderfully.

Let me straighten some things for you.

"People" do not want to threaten Tesla with legal action. Only one person--the OP--has even hinted at legal action, and he has made it abundantly clear that he most certainly does not "want to threaten Tesla" with it.

You lumped me in this phantom group of people that in your mind wants to threaten legal action even though I never said anything of the sort, since I am the only one who posted that they mistakenly thought the car was coming with the feature being discussed and also bought the car sight unseen. Since there has been discussion here of Tesla a) reading posts in these forums, and b) treating customers differently if those customers threaten legal action your having lumped me into this phantom group could cause me real harm if some Tesla employee just skims this thread and believes there is, in fact, a group of people heading down that road and that I am a part of that group.

As for buying the car sight unseen, I have no regrets about having done that. The issues that I have had with Tesla and how they have handled certain things would not be any different if I had test-driven a model S before ordering my P85D. I think there are a good number of people who order Tesla Model Ss sight unseen. And pretty much everyone who ordered a P85D before they were out who hadn't physically attended the D announcement was buying the car sight unseen. So there are a lot of us.

And someone actually installed the wrong color console knowingly?

You're referring to me again, since I'm the only one who posted about doing so in this thread. But you're also probably talking about hundreds of other Tesla owners who were left between a rock and a hard place by Tesla's decision to not produce the Center Console in the other finishes, as they had promised to do. We could choose to not have a center console, to purchase one from a third-party manufacturer, or to purchase the Tesla Center Console in a finish that didn't match our cars' interiors. So yes, it was done knowingly, and with quite a bit of deliberation and with quite a bit of hand-wringing. It was the best of the lousy options Tesla left open to us.

I'm wondering who's making the bad decisions here?

You are, by attacking a guy who writes better than you do, argues better than you do, and has the facts on his side.

As an owner of my second Tesla - upgraded from a P85 to a P85D - and reading this thread, I'm more worried that some legal beagle doesn't see Tesla as a great class action target. Both from a product and investor relations perspective.

That'll certainly delay things a lot more :-(

Joe

I would also like to point out that this thread is sounding almost identical to the thread about the 90 kW limited A packs. A lot of parsing of words from the CEO, and what was said on the web site, in an attempt to show that Tesla promised something that it didn't deliver to a specific group of customers. It's just an observation, that's all.

Ha, good one. I was actually thinking this thread reminded me of the torque sleep one:

Will Tesla make the promise for torque sleep? (P85D)

Note the person who started it :biggrin:
Sorry Jason, just poking around and having some fun... I totally feel you though and can't wait for auto-steer myself!

I do have faith Tesla will ultimately come through, as they did with torque sleep -- a day later than their 1/31 self-imposed deadline (references here #159 & #167), but released nonetheless.
Anyway, all this to say that I am confident auto-steer will be released soon. In the meantime, enjoy the best EV on the planet and keep smiling! :wink:

Ha, good one. I was actually thinking this thread reminded me of the torque sleep one:

Will Tesla make the promise for torque sleep? (P85D)

Note the person who started it :biggrin:
Sorry Jason, just poking around and having some fun... I totally feel you though and can't wait for auto-steer myself!

I do have faith Tesla will ultimately come through, as they did with torque sleep -- a day later than their 1/31 self-imposed deadline (references here #159 & #167), but released nonetheless.
Anyway, all this to say that I am confident auto-steer will be released soon. In the meantime, enjoy the best EV on the planet and keep smiling! :wink:

Yep, I sure hope they do. Drove another 600 miles today (yesterday now...). Lane keeping would have been wonderful...

Will do a post about the trip soon. Relied on CHAdeMOs away from the supercharger network for the first time. Scary stuff.

I'm disappointed auto steering isn't available by now as well, my feeling is if we're at 6 months plus without it since delivery, and 10 months since annoucement, there are some major issues, and the cars will might have to go in for additional hardware..
This is also my guess. Tesla probably needs more hardware/sensors to make it work, and they are probably testing that on the MX. Curb detection is a must for auto-parking.

If they plan to demonstrate it for him on his own car, then I think it does mean something. Mpowered, is that what they were demo-ing for you?

I'm not sure where you'd jump to that super optimistic conclusion based on the post. I initially interpreted it as a demo for a non-owner on a demo car... likely of just TACC anyway.