Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot lane keeping still not available over 6 months after delivery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Today is July 22.
Jun 19 to July 22 is 33 days.

Your "rounding up" is adding 33%. That's not rounding up, that's called "arguing for the sake of arguing".

- Math'R'Us.

I think you are misreading my statement. Here it is again:
"But late March, Elon did say it would be out in about 3 months, that calculates to be about July. That was the first time there was a somewhat specific time frame mentioned. So they are officially about a month late."

March 19 to July 1st is 3 months and 12 days. How does that not fit "about 3 months" and how is it not fair to round up in such a way? Again, if Elon said "less than 3 months" then I would agree to holding the "deadline" at June 19th, but he didn't.

Elon said during the July 17th press conference that Beta release is 2-3 weeks away. That calculates to July 31st to August 7th. That is about a month later than the "about 3 months" Elon talked about.

That's all I was referring to. I'm not sure how it devolved into bad math.

Yes, it may very well be ready to go as we speak, but the lawyers have held it up. For instance, Elon probably doesn't want "nag" features or similar, but I bet the lawyers want all kinds of stuff and there is a bunch of back-and-forth required to reach consensus. That alone could take weeks at "lawyer speed"!

As a CEO of a public company, when Elon makes a public statement, it's as good as a contract. The SEC says so.

That's not remotely close to what the SEC says on the subject. Plans for future operations are given a safe harbor under the Private Securities Litigaton Reform Act of 1995 which specifically calls out plans for future operations as forward looking statements not intended to be regarded as statements of fact. Every single time Musk speaks to the press or public the release material includes a statement like this one:
Certain statements in this presentation, including statements relating to the ongoing development, quality improvements, production, supply chain, demand for and delivery expectations of Model S; the ability to achieve revenue and gross margin targets; and the ability of Tesla to execute on its new interactive retail strategy, future store, service center and Supercharger network opening and expansion plans; and statements regarding future vehicles such as right hand drive Model S, Model X and Gen III are “forward-looking statements” that are subject to risks and uncertainties. These forward-looking statements are based on management’s current expectations, and as a result of certain risks and uncertainties, actual results may differ materially from those projected. You should not rely upon forward-looking statements as predictions of future events. Although Tesla believes that the expectations reflected in the forward-looking statements are reasonable, Tesla cannot guarantee that the future results, performance or events and circumstances reflected in the forward-looking statements will be achieved or occur.

I posted this in another thread (I think?). I'm very happy with my Tesla, I'm very happy with TACC.

But there were 3 things that led me to buy new vs. CPO.
1. Autopilot (which I haven't been waiting for nearly as long as many here, as I've only had my car for a month)
2. AWD (not a requirement, but definitely a plus)
3. Color (not a requirement, but definitely a plus)

But I knew auto-steering isn't out yet, and it'll be out "soon-Tesla-time". I also knew all I was getting now was TACC and auto-highbeams.

But I'm sure there are plenty of other people in similar situations to mine, who didn't know about the "soon" (as wk057's older gentlemen) who would be furious. And understandably so.

- - - Updated - - -

Autopilot and self parking were a consideration when we bought our car, although I knew it wouldn't be available for some time, and that was and is fine. However, as it looks more difficult to implement these features than Tesla originally thought (and said), I'm becoming somewhat concerned that it's going to take more sensors, e.g. better radar(s) and/or cameras that will be included in future cars and won't be practical to retrofit. That would really disappoint me a lot.

If that's the case then I fully expect a free hardware upgrade, as everyone who paid for Autopilot was clearly lead to believe that it includes lane-keeping and self-parking as advertised on the website.

Despite all the shiny demos and Elon suggesting this is easy, this is not an easy problem to solve. If it was all cars would have this technology. I know someone is going to come along and point to a list of cars that have these features. I'll just point you back at the history in this thread where people have pointed out how poorly a lot of the implementations actually work.

Yes, MB and BMW have the AP:smile:. One Tesla employee commented to one of our forum members that they are trying to match or beat MB AP. So give us that, and more importantly for me, the auto-parking. I simply don't understand IF the sensors are adequate, why can it not be released now when self parking has been around for a few years. And that was one of the feature that I thought should be readily available when I bought my MS. Since Tesla practice incremental updates to the F/W, and so if the H/W is adequate, why are they not ready with auto-parking after 9 months?

This is the reason why I speculate that the current sensors are inadequate, specially for coil suspension MS.

In my previous post, I speculated that Tesla is now able to make the MX AP work (with additional sensors), but for some other unknown reasons, MX cannot be revealed yet. Tesla don't want to prematurely admit that MS needs more H/W for AP until after the reveal of MX, and has an upgrade path for current MS owner with pre-purchased AP. Be ready to shell out more $$$ for eAP (enhance AP) since you will not be satisfied with nAP (normal AP). I feel that most Tesla owners want the latest and greatest. Tesla for sure knows the purchaser's propensity for car performance, hence the 90kWh battery and Ludicrous mode.

I think you guys did it!

Per TeslaMotors.com "Lane keeping and self-parking will be enabled with over the air software updates."

AP.jpg

That of course doesn't change much from the customer perception. Tesla employees in my experience try to put things right but some things there's not a lot you can do. You can't ship software that isn't ready. You can't give 9 months of production (I'm guessing around 25k cars) a $2500 refund (comes out to $62 million).

So in my view the best anyone can hope for here is that Tesla makes the website clearer and works to be better about communication in the future. That's a realistic goal.

I agree with a good portion of what you wrote.

But I disagree that as Tesla employees there's "not a lot you can do" to put things right. While I agree a $2500 refund for 25 thousand cars is not the answer, I don't think anyone rational is suggesting that as a solution to this problem. One very reasonable thing Tesla could do, suggested by others in this thread (I believe wk057, the OP, may even have been the first to suggest it, but I'm not taking the time to check now) would be for Tesla to extend the warranty, at least on the autopilot functionality, to end based on when it's released. (An even nicer and grander gesture, but one that I agree would probably be too expensive, would be for Tesla to extend the warranty on the entire car to have the warranty period end based on when autopilot is finally delivered.)

The above is just one of the small steps Tesla could take if they genuinely wanted to make things better for those of us who have been patiently waiting for the additional autopilot features. There are may others that also would not break the bank.

Last edited:
Then it's pretty obvious that current cars aren't shipping with AP/self-parking.

What does enabled mean? Knowing that Tesla isn't shipping this and that the software isn't done and having the context in software development means we'll get this sometime in the future. But not everyone has that context and understands that. As wk057 pointed out when he shared the conversation he had with another owner you could just as easily see that as something that is already available and it's turned on via the software update. You'd be wrong to think that. But I think it's safe to say that not all of Tesla's customers have that context.

But I disagree that as Tesla employees there's "not a lot you can do" to put things right.

The above is just one of the small steps Tesla could take if they genuinely wanted to make things better for those of us who have been patiently waiting for the additional autopilot features. There are may others that also would not break the bank.

Two entirely different 'things'. Tesla 'employees' can't in fact do as you're suggesting. They don't have the power. Tesla - the company - would have to do that and that decision only comes from the very top. You know his e-mail addy and his twitter account.

Then go to the main page (completely unclear): http://www.teslamotors.com/models#autopilot

Agreed, here it's pretty obvious that the car already has the AP/self-parking.

What does enabled mean? Knowing that Tesla isn't shipping this and that the software isn't done and having the context in software development means we'll get this sometime in the future. But not everyone has that context and understands that. As wk057 pointed out when he shared the conversation he had with another owner you could just as easily see that as something that is already available and it's turned on via the software update. You'd be wrong to think that. But I think it's safe to say that not all of Tesla's customers have that context.

Enabled is a pretty clear to me. If it needs to be enabled with OTA updates, that means the car currently does not have it. At the very least, it would justify a question from a potential buyer.

I'm not defending Tesla, it's deceiving marketing. Period. They should make it even more clear, especially with it being written two different ways on two different pages, but the people arguing that it's not stated anywhere, seems to me that they're wrong.

Two entirely different 'things'. Tesla 'employees' can't in fact do as you're suggesting. They don't have the power. Tesla - the company - would have to do that and that decision only comes from the very top. You know his e-mail addy and his twitter account.

I was sticking to the arguments as breser made them. He argued, (paraphrasing) that Musk is the over-reaching optimist, and that once the promises he has made can't be met, it's up to the "Tesla employees" (meaning everyone else at Tesla, presumably with Musk's OK) to "put things right." His conclusion was that there was little that could be done, short of correcting the website and hoping for better communication. My post was a counter-point to that argument.

Tesla doesn't need to resort to marketing hyperbole or puffery to sell its cars. The web site should not have the headline price "including gas savings" and should not use future autopilot features in the present tense.

AMEN!
One of the many reasons people prefer Tesla over car salesmen is because they are supposedly more trustable. Tesla needs to maintain the higher ground. Hoodwinking customers into making big purchases never goes well in the long run.

Still doesnt do anything for customers they've already fooled, like me. I was led to believe that autopilot would be available by now.

Last edited by a moderator: